Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you legally put primers In checked baggage?

Can you legally put primers In checked baggage?

Let’s say that someone while visiting a location by air, finds a great deal on primers. Is it possible to bring the primers with you, in their original, unsealed packaging in your checked baggage as long as you declare them?

Even if there was a good deal on primers I’d think dealing with the TSA is more trouble than it’s worth.

Boolit Grand Master
    Could be worth shipping via conventional methods. ie; UPS, etc. I'm sure they have regs to cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Could be worth shipping via conventional methods. ie; UPS, etc. I'm sure they have regs to cover it.
    Part of the hope of bringing them along with you would be avoid paying for Hazmat fees and shipping. Much like buying your powder locally, there is a lot of value in being able to “ship” it to your address yourself.

I’m also interested. I have a family member who could use some primers when I fly out there to visit.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    If you're in the US and close to an airport you'd also be close to a UPS/FedEx/DHL office. You could feign ignorance but it wouldn't be worth the inconvenience of missing your flight and the possibilty of being arrested or put on the no-fly list.
    Cargo

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Good question. This off TSA website:

——“The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.

Parts of Guns and Firearms
    Carry On Bags: No
    Checked Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
    Firearm parts, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on, but may be transported in checked bags. Check with your airline to see if they allow firearms in checked bags. Read the guidelines for traveling with firearms.
    When traveling, be sure to comply with the laws concerning possession of firearms as they vary by local, state and international government.”—-

Gun powder, smokeless powder and explosives are forbidden. Ammo in proper packaging can be checked provided it doesn’t exceed a certain weight.
    Caveat is some airlines have stricter rules.
    You can photo the item you wish to take and send pic to TSA for their ruling.

Boolit Master
    They are explosives in DOT regs, so can’t be transported on commercial aircraft. Sorry, no time to find links.

Boolit Buddy
    That was 11 years ago. Please bear in mind that airlines can reject anything for almost any reason, it's THEIR plane. IF it's still FFA/TSA legal they could decide it would need to be packed in a safe and secure manner. A trip to UPS would be a lot cheaper and much faster than a trip to a HM packer. IF it's still legal by the time the airline and TSA finally admits it you would have already missed your flight.
    Unless you really just enjoy arguing legal semantics with rule nazis just go to UPS and drop an extra $20 on HM fees.
    Last edited by Cargo; 05-25-2021 at 07:56 PM.
    Cargo

Boolit Master
    Primers are very hazardous. That is why it is so expensive to ship them. Checked baggage? Trip to the principles office if not the crowbar hotel.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Buddy
    Last time I flew from Atlanta Georgia back to Colorado with 4 pistols in two plastic pistol cases and two more pistol cases with loaded magazines 200 rounds our bags where given to the airline company and the guns and ammo where given to the TSA people they sealed it and marked all boxes as firearms and never looked in side I asked why the did not look in side any of them and he said they would if they detected any residue no problem . I also asked him how many people get in trouble for not checking guns he said about 11 a day through the US that fly with them and them stop by and tell them there is a flaw in the system and on one stopped them from getting on the plane then they are arrested . I remember how my only sister forgot who I was and had nothing to do with me when I was carrying 4 plastic cases marked firearms in side both airports .

Boolit Master

A non-certified individual cannot ship primers. There is much more involved than just paying a Haz mat fee. I suspect an individual cannot fly with them either, checked or not.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    I don’t buy the story at all! I say it’s a load of bull!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    Primers are very hazardous. That is why it is so expensive to ship them. Checked baggage? Trip to the principles office if not the crowbar hotel.
    Hazmat requirement came about because of a lithium battery fire that took down ValuJet Flight 592. As of April 30, 2021, there have been 312 air/airport incidents involving lithium batteries carried as cargo or baggage recorded since January 23, 2006. Note: These are events that the FAA is aware of and should not be considered a complete listing of all such incidents. https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/resources...dent_chart.pdf

On the other hand there are zero such incidents with primers. Your lithium batteries are far more hazardous then the claimed "Primers are very hazardous. That is why it is so expensive to ship them. "

Primers are explosives, class 1.4 and require you to have a hazmat cert to ship. . Class 1.4 is not normally shipped via Air and almost never on commercial passenger flights.

Loaded ammo where primer is secured in primer pocket is considered Other Restricted Material Domestic (ORM-D) and doesn't require hazmat cert.

Primed cases can not be mailed but the don't even require ORM-D. https://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...e-law.3812580/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-25-2021 at 10:50 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Hazmat requirement came about because of a lithium battery fire that took down ValuJet Flight 592...
    Just a quick update on that...I believe it was oxygen generators that they thought were empty and so were improperly packaged. Same valid point though...don’t put others at risk.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    Just a quick update on that...I believe it was oxygen generators that they thought were empty and so were improperly packaged. Same valid point though...don’t put others at risk.
    Yes you are correct. My memory appears to be slipping. Thanks for the correction.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Can you legally put primers In checked baggage?

Loaded ammo where primer is secured in primer pocket is considered Other Restricted Material Domestic (ORM-D) and doesn't require hazmat cert.

Primed cases can not be mailed but the don't even require ORM-D. https://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...e-law.3812580/
    Just to update, note that ORM-D was retired end of 2020.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente...nd-orm-d.page?

Now it is marked ‘limited quantity’ with the black and white diamond.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente...munition.page?

Boolit Buddy
    Yes you are correct. My memory appears to be slipping. Thanks for the correction.
    IIRC the O2 generators were being transferred as CoMat, company material, and were basically thrown on board to transfer to another airport. That flight changed a lot of things in the air industry.
    Cargo

Boolit Master

NO! Cargo only flights only, must be declared ect... Had 2 flats in a work tote I forgot about and ended up costing 750 + freight and FAA returned the two flats of Rem 7.5s to me.

Boolit Master
    I was typing quick when I said that they were expensive to ship due to being hazardous. There is the certification involved and you must have a staffed 24x7 phone number who has information related to the shipment. The big boys, like Midway USA, spread the expense across more shipments, that's why you get a $10.00 or even free hazmat at times. Other places, like where I bought some black powder and percussion caps, charge more. $35.00 each on my last order. Lucky for me, they forgot to label the box for the percussion caps.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast