Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you legally put primers In checked baggage?

Boolit Master
    lets put it this way.
    if you were an NTSB investigator sifting though the wreckage of a domestic passenger jet and came across a case of reloading primers that somehow got popped off in the baggage compartment and brought the plane down how would you explain this to the relatives of the souls who perished in the crash. Might be a different story for a bush pilot in Alaska taking supplies to resident in the far north. But I'm afraid its probably against some laws and FAA regulations to put primers ammo or powder on a passenger plane. This is why UPS has to supply ground transport for anything listed as hazmat.
    as my daughter told me last time I picked her up at an airport, geez like you know they threw away my bottle of contact lens fluid after my bag went through the X-ray machine. Yup you sure don't want to run afoul of TSA or FAA bringing combustibles or explosives on a passenger plane.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Yep, Those TSA boys took my tooth paste and shaving cream leaving Hotlanta in 2019, Going up there the departing TSA boys let it pass?

I'm like take it, I'll buy more when I get back to civilization in La. Think I hurt the squirrels feelings?

Moderator Emeritus

If loaded ammo is allowed in checked in luggage. Just hand prime them into a caliber you have plenty of brass for. Wouldn't take long and should be legal from what was stated here, right?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    If loaded ammo is allowed in checked in luggage. Just hand prime them into a caliber you have plenty of brass for. Wouldn't take long and should be legal from what was stated here, right?
    If you’re going to put them in brass, better to just ship them via UPS ground to avoid the uncertainty and risk at the airport. As for checking ammo, I assume that there is a limit and guess that it’s less than 1,000 rounds, but don’t know.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    If you’re going to put them in brass, better to just ship them via UPS ground to avoid the uncertainty and risk at the airport. As for checking ammo, I assume that there is a limit and guess that it’s less than 1,000 rounds, but don’t know.
    That wouldn't be a bad idea if you had a couple of hours or so of time on your hand. Bring a couple of thousand empty sized brass with you and a hand primer. prime the cases, box up and UPS them home.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I flew from Florida to Nevada 4X with my club to go to Frontsight. We told the ticketing agent "I have a firearm to declare." The firearm was in a locked Pelican box in the stowed luggage. I had ammo in the same piece of luggage but not in the gun box. She asked me to open the luggage and taped a label on the Pelican box. She did not bother with the ammo. I think if you put the primers in a locked gun box and say "I have ammo to declare" you might be asked to open your luggage for the ticketing agent to view and that would be that. Check the rules of the airline you are flying with. I flew Southwest.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    Let’s say that someone while visiting a location by air, finds a great deal on primers. Is it possible to bring the primers with you, in their original, unsealed packaging in your checked baggage as long as you declare them?
    No, it's not possible to check them with your luggage.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hiram View Post
    I flew from Florida to Nevada 4X with my club to go to Frontsight. We told the ticketing agent "I have a firearm to declare." The firearm was in a locked Pelican box in the stowed luggage. I had ammo in the same piece of luggage but not in the gun box. She asked me to open the luggage and taped a label on the Pelican box. She did not bother with the ammo. I think if you put the primers in a locked gun box and say "I have ammo to declare" you might be asked to open your luggage for the ticketing agent to view and that would be that. Check the rules of the airline you are flying with. I flew Southwest.
    I just hate to gamble on the indifference or ignorance of law enforcement, my luck I get the new guy (or gal) with a degree in forensics that did an internship at ATF.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hiram View Post
    I think if you put the primers in a locked gun box and say "I have ammo to declare" you might be asked to open your luggage for the ticketing agent to view and that would be that.
    This is shady advice. If someone at TSA finds primers in your luggage because you lied to the ticket agent, they're gonna go in dry. Your ass will end up in jail over it. Real talk...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    and you must have a staffed 24x7 phone number who has information related to the shipment.
    Nope................. Where are you getting this misinformation?

Back to the OP's question here is some of the guidance you would need to start the process and even when completed you still most likely won't be able to take them on a commercial passenger aircraft.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=4

Quantity limits: Reasonable amount for "personal use" during a trip. However, international (ICAO/IATA) regulations and some airlines in the U.S. limit this to 5 kg (11 pounds) gross weight per passenger. Check with your airline.

Small arms ammunition includes cartridges up to 19.1 mm (.75 caliber) and shotgun shells. It does not include black powder, smokeless powder, primers, percussion caps, or homemade powder and ball loads for muzzle loading.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/safecargo/how_to_ship/

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

https://www.berlinpackaging.com/ship...All%20Webpages
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-26-2021 at 04:50 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Most carriers limit the weight of ammunition to 11 pounds (the international standard of 5 kilograms), so it’s advisable t to check with your airline before arriving at the airport.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=4
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-26-2021 at 04:37 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    Just to update, note that ORM-D was retired end of 2020.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente...nd-orm-d.page?

Now it is marked ‘limited quantity’ with the black and white diamond.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente...munition.page?
    Most people know what ORM-D is as it relates to ammunition shipping so that is the least confusing term obsolete or not. The new term ‘limited quantity’ not so much. This change has been in the works since 2011.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...replace-orm-d/
    OFFICIAL UPS RULES — Elimination of ORM-D Classification

In an attempt to harmonize and align with international standards, the DOT has amended the 49CFR regulations regarding the ORM-D classification. Effective January 19, 2011, with the publication of the HM-215K final rule, the hazard class of ORM-D is being eliminated. Those materials may still be shipped classified as a limited quantity (“Ltd Qty”).

2014 or 2015 is when I purchase some of the black and white diamond labels (‘limited quantity’). I was shipping a lot of ORM-D at the time.

I believe it is also a sticky on this site. I have note researched the issue in the last couple of years, however, at least at that time NOTHING in the requirements changed other than the use of the Internal recognized symbol. I mostly stopped following the panicked posting on this. I have repeatedly asked what actual changes accrued other then that going from a ORM-D label to Internal ‘limited quantity’ symbol????????
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-26-2021 at 06:10 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Vendor Sponsor

FROM UPS website

Effective January 1, 2021 the ORM-D classification will be obsolete per D.O.T. HM-215K
    After December 31, 2020, the ORM-D classification will be obsolete per D.O.T. HM-215K

All ORM-D classifications (Consumer Commodity; Cartridges, small arms; and Cartridges power device) are being eliminated and may no longer be used after December 31, 2020.

To determine if your material is eligible for the Limited Quantity exceptions for Ground Service, go to:

Limited Quantity Exception - Ground Service

If you have any questions about shipping hazardous materials with UPS, please call the UPS Hazardous Materials Support Center at 1-800-554-9964.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Let's see. Primers cannot be shipped air they must go ground. Ask the folks in Alaska and Hawaii. Do you really think they can be in luggage?

No look up regs or nothing I will State NO. Prove me wrong.

Jail or fines and lawyer fees can be high.

1 Guy in the town next to me got caught with his .22 woods pistol in his carry on luggage that had his wood cruiser jacket in it. 2-3 years later with $150,000 spent on lawyer and fines PLUS the money the NRA spent he got off with the fines. Moron at the time did not even have the at the time NH carry license , a go to town hall and PD chief delvers to you for 4 years at $10 bucks.

Being dumb trying to get them by I bet will get you at least lifelong NO Firearms for you and a few Thousands of dollars in costs so go ahead folks poke the bear.
    Last edited by Geezer in NH; 05-26-2021 at 05:04 PM.

I think I may just not tempt fate and not suffer a terrible time with the TSA, and encourage others to do the same.

Boolit Master

In the summer of 2019 I flew from Bradley to Sea-Tac, and back again a week later. The TSA at Bradley were great. Very professional, very observant. But no shoes, no belts, just follow the instructions on the placards and keep it moving. Was quite pleased to see things getting back to normal....Sea-Tac was the complete opposite. All rules were strictly enforced. I didn't witness anyone mouthing off, no one dared. They even had a canine ready for action. The demeanor of the agents was of employees who had recently been reamed hard by the regional agent in charge. The attitude on that particular day was, arrest them regardless of the facts at hand, and let the federal prosecutors figure it out.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Mold

You Cannot have primers in checked baggage

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    Let’s say that someone while visiting a location by air, finds a great deal on primers. Is it possible to bring the primers with you, in their original, unsealed packaging in your checked baggage as long as you declare them?

Even if there was a good deal on primers I’d think dealing with the TSA is more trouble than it’s worth.
    You cannot. Only ammunition under 11 pounds can be in checked baggage.
    FFA rules specifically define what ammunition is NOT, which it is not powder, primers, caps, etc.
    See. https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=4

Ammunition is primers, brass, powder, elsewhere in the Law, and often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brassrat View Post
    Ammunition is primers, brass, powder, elsewhere in the Law, and often
    Just because ammunition has primers doesn’t mean that primers are considered ammunition.

Completely different things for DOT. Now stick a primer in a piece of brass and you get the benefit of less stringent rules because of the reduced risk of mass detonation.

Boolit Master

Alot of folks that come into town from the bush for their periodic ammo run buy their components in Anchorage and reload their ammo in their hotel room and package it up to fly back out to the Bush.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast