Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal hulls

Boolit Master

Federal hulls

Anyone familiar with the Federal hull 3'' marked 00 buck from Ballistic Products? What load data/hull data would one use?
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master

dont quote me on this but I believe federal hulls are similar to chedite, at least the field load ones are. you might have to cut it in two and compare to the chart in the shotshell manual
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    dont quote me on this but I believe federal hulls are similar to chedite, at least the field load ones are. you might have to cut it in two and compare to the chart in the shotshell manual
    No, they are not that close to Cheddite. Cheddite and Fiocchi are close.

There are two versions of the 12 gauge Federal 3" hull. The paper basewad, and the plastic basewad. It is very easy to tell, just look into them. One will be brown paper, and the other will look like red plastic. You need to use the load data specific to each. The 3" paper basewad hull is not used as much anymore, but there is plenty of data out there. The 3" plastic basewad hull is often called the .090" basewad hull, and is likely what you have. It has plenty of data as well, and you can also use 3" Activ hull data, but there isn't much Activ data.

Boolit Master

The base wad is a clear/whitish color. Then of course, no matter what data I look at, it seems I don't have that powder.

Boolit Master

It is not an integral base wad

Boolit Master

What kind of load do you plan, buckshot, slug, birdshot, steel?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

I'm still trying to figger out a 1.75 using #5 shot. But considering the wad (white lightening) a 1 5/8, using some felt in the bottom of the cup. So far all load data want's a powder I don't have and they don't make anymore. What I have is HS6, Universal and Longshot. Saving the Longshot for my slug loads. Didn't think this would be as complicated as it has turned out. I thought if I could ID the hull I might have a better chance. I called BPI (Eric), was told the hull was bought with marking's from federal. Called federal (Ryan), hell they don't know.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail (1).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	283507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	283508 Had to sacrifice a hull, at least I can save the primer.

Boolit Master
    when in doubt I ask the folks at ballistic for advice on anything shotshell. ive never reloaded one like that but the Remington buckshot shells ive salvaged and reloaded folding the once rolled end was the only trick to look out for.
    also might check volume with water and compare to other federal hulls if you have any.

Boolit Master

Fed 209a (already in hull) - 29.1 gr Longshot - WAA12 wad - 1 5/8 shot - 1225 fps - 10,000 psi That’s a butt kicker.
    Page 54 here: http://www.tsn.biella.it/armi/Manual...c%20Manual.pdf
    Last edited by Hogtamer; 05-26-2021 at 11:02 AM.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

We're could I find a hard copy of that?

Banned

Those are not the buckshot hulls I have. Mine are one piece. Actually I have two types. One is a lighter shade of red and that is what you have. But mine are still a one piece hull. The lighter colored ones have a lower base than the ones your picture shows. There are also ones with a high brass like yours.

Boolit Master

click on the link I provided
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

I think there is some camera trickery going on here. If you notice, those hulls have a brass (actually steel) height about half of what the normal 3" hulls have. This is no issue. The other thing, is these have base wads with no color, which also makes them look different. According to BPI, and looking at those pictures, you have the Federal .090" basewad hull, AKA hunting hull, AKA plastic base.

Those are great hulls. Why are you so dead set on that TPS white lightning wad? It was never meant for lead shot. You won't find any data with universal for these heavy loads.

Boolit Master

megasupermagnum...Mostly because that is what I have as far as wads go. And if it will hold up to steel shot, should hold up to lead. I made a splitter from a broad head. Cuts 3 petals 3/4+" of wad. How about HS6?

Taylor: My thoughts here are just my opinion and have very little if any proof in factual experimentation. I wouldn't use a wad intended for steel shot for heavy lead loads. There are a few wads that have both steel and lead loads listed in loading manuals, the MG42 comes to mind, but most wads meant for steel shot lack the cushion of a wad meant for lead This COULD lead to a pressure spike that would be a real uncomfortable if not gun damaging event. Shotgun wads are SO inexpensive that I wouldn't wander off of published data just to use what's on hand. Keep in mind that we don't have much of a safety margin with shotguns like we have with rifles. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

There is nothing dangerous about putting lead shot into a steel shot wad. The problem being there is not much load data for them, and in your particular case, you have a discontinued wad that only lived a short life as a steel specific wad. Now take this with a heap of salt, but if I absolutely had to do it, I think the also discontinued, but long lived Multi-Metal wad data would be the place to look.

Personally I would not waste the time. Every year good shotgun load data becomes more and more scarce. It has become so bad, I don't know of anyone offering even a turkey load manual anymore.

I seem to recall you asking for data in another thread. I stand by my statement that buffer is a good thing if you are trying to make turkey loads. By no means do you need buffer to kill turkeys. You also don't need 1 3/4 oz of shot. But if your criteria is to even approach what a factory load will do, you will need to use buffer, there is no way around that. If you are simply looking to put together a non-buffered 1 3/4 oz load in a 3" Federal hull, I can help with that, but not with that wad.

Federal 3" PB hull
    Federal 209A
    27.5 gr Longshot
    Remington SP12 wad
    1 7/8 oz shot
    fold crimp

1155 fps
    9,600 psi

Me personally, I would substitute that SP12 wad with a Federal 12S4 wad, and use 1 3/4 oz of shot. The above load is from the Lyman shotshell 5th edition.

Boolit Master

Well I suppose it's evident that I'm pretty clueless when it comes to loading shot shells. All I load in shotgun is my slugs. Do I need a turkey load? Not really. I have a couple of boxes of Winchester Longbeards. And the way my season has been going, well...they may just last me the rest of my life.

It's that I have some parts and piece's. I like making my own stuff. I want to be able to make my own. As I'm sure you guy's understand that.

Is it that critical, to find a load, and the only difference is the wad? Can one not just swap out the wad? After all it's just a container for shot. Be it lead or steel. But my biggest issue was...what hull is that? I called BPI and Federal. Federal told me they should not have sold that hull to BPI. And BPI should not be selling it to the public. I guess one question..in turn..brings up a lot more. Believe me men, I'm listening, I'm learning. I really appreciate all that you say.

Taylor: Experiments and advice are are what forums are all about. In this instance, you seem to have a hull that is somewhat of a bastard child and a discontinued wad. What could possibly go wrong? Proceed if you must but please use a long string to pull the trigger on the first one and get it on video if you can. Gp

Boolit Master

Well..pooh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast