Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: what does "hard cast" mean? will it lead my barrel?

what does "hard cast" mean? will it lead my barrel?

I'm not casting (yet), and I see good deals (?) for 45ACP boolits, but they are not jacketed. But not simply lead, they are called "hard cast". Are these bullets good to go for reloading and plinking without leading my bore?

example:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2046282252

Boolit Grand Master

Generally it means commercially cast from Taracorp "Hardball" alloy. An industry standard at 92 Pb, 2 Sn, 6 Sb. They usually work fine. Many millions are loaded and shot every year without issue.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    As with any cast bullet the diameter should be .002" larger than the bore of your barrel and not be swaged down by the reloading process.

Boolit Master
    That is a catch all term for cast bullets.
    You are going to get many answers.
    Lead is SUPPOSE to be 5 on the Brinell Hardness Scale. Linotype SUPPOSE to be 22 BHN. 5-22 and all between. Soft, medium and hard. Then there are numbers between soft and medium and numbers between medium and hard.
    Then there are bullets because of the correct alloy and heat treat that is harder than Linotype.
    Hard cast can be anything due to what area above lead you go. It is a "relative" term. Hardcast an be 10 BHN compared to lead. 10 BHN can be "soft" compared to a "hardcast 15BHN alloy such as Lyman #2 alloy. So "hardcast" is a catch all term used by casters that could mean anything harder than pure lead. Check the BHN rating to get an idea about the bullets.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 05-25-2021 at 09:07 AM.

It would be nice if there were a universally accepted chart readily accessible, divided into several different hardness ranges, whereas a person could better determine the actual bullet hardness that is being purchased or home cast! But, then....I’m still on the hunt for a Unicorn! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Before I started casting I purchased a bunch of lead "hardcast" bullets from different companies. I found that some leaded my barrel and some did not. This was usually base on how hard I tried to push them. After I started casting and began to learn about lubes, bullet speed and fit I pretty much got them to stop. The other thing I did was begin to tumble lube all of the Commercial cast with BLL and this helped too. Here are a couple of link that will help you decided if this is a way for you to go.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-L-Liquid-Lube

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-amp-Mess-Free
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Hard cast doesn't really mean anything other than it's not pure lead (5bhn). There is no number (bhn) where hard cast starts or medium or any other term. Bhn is a real certifiable number that will tell you how hard a lead alloy is. Any lead alloy will lead if sized wrong or pushed too fast for the bhn or wrong lube. Any lead alloy can be shot without leading if kept within it's particular boundaries. Some guns will lead because of issues such as rough or badly or barrel and such.

Good question but the answer has so many variables that each gun, boolit, alloy, lube, diameter, velocity etc. has it's own answer. However this site is the place to find out how to learn how these variables can affect your efforts in casting and shooting cast boolits. You have come to the right place, welcome aboard and keep the questions coming.

Although this is not a good time to find the things you need to cast your own because of the shortages of everything involved in shooting, you do need to start. Buying store bought cast bullets does not give you the flexibility you need to make cast work in every case. Checkout the S&S section for things you may need to get started. Good luck.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Hard cast doesn't really mean anything other than it's not pure lead (5bhn). There is no number (bhn) where hard cast starts or medium or any other term. Bhn is a real certifiable number that will tell you how hard a lead alloy is. Any lead alloy will lead if sized wrong or pushed too fast for the bhn or wrong lube. Any lead alloy can be shot without leading if kept within it's particular boundaries. Some guns will lead because of issues such as rough or badly or barrel and such.

Good question but the answer has so many variables that each gun, boolit, alloy, lube, diameter, velocity etc. has it's own answer. However this site is the place to find out how to learn how these variables can affect your efforts in casting and shooting cast boolits. You have come to the right place, welcome aboard and keep the questions coming.

Although this is not a good time to find the things you need to cast your own because of the shortages of everything involved in shooting, you do need to start. Buying store bought cast bullets does not give you the flexibility you need to make cast work in every case. Checkout the S&S section for things you may need to get started. Good luck.
    Very close.

In the beginning there was lead. After a while tin was added to the lead. Thus "hard cast" was born. Today the term has been co-opted to mean super hard bullets.

For 45 ACP you don't need anything harder than a bullet of BHN 10.

There are two problems with most commercial cast bullets.

1. The lead is almost always much too hard for the application. It's hard to resist damage during shipping.
    2. The lube is too hard. Again, just to resist damage during shipping.

For more on the subject http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chap...Metallurgy.htm

Personally I'd look around for some Hi-Tek coated bullets, something like this. https://bayoubullets.net/45-acp-200-gr-rn/
    NRA Benefactor.

My definition of hard cast is hard enough to not ding and dent the other bullets during shipping. They normally ship with a hard wax lube that is designed to not pick up lint or dirt during shipment.
    Are hard cast useful? Yes, they work for a lot of people.
    After a while here, I believe you will notice that a lot of us use softer lubes on softer bullets - at target speeds.

My favorite factory or commercial bullets are swaged hollow base wad cutters. They are soft enough to expand easily and fill the bore so all the powder gases push on the bullet and don't blow past the bullet in the barrel.

Boolit Master
    That's the problem with hard cast. Everyone has their own definition and none are wrong as it isn't specifically defined. I consider anything over about 15 bhn to be hard cast but that's my definition and it's no more accurate than the next fellows definition. The cast boolits you buy online are usually even harder than that but for many applications there is such a thing as too hard especially if they are a bit small.

Boolit Bub
    The link says 15 bhn good to 1600 fps. Will be fine in 45 acp.

thanks all for the replies

i bought some of these earlier this month -> https://bayoubrassandammo.com/shop/o...t-lead-bullets

seem to work pretty good, i'm keeping an eye on the barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Very close.

In the beginning there was lead. After a while tin was added to the lead. Thus "hard cast" was born. Today the term has been co-opted to mean super hard bullets.

For 45 ACP you don't need anything harder than a bullet of BHN 10.

There are two problems with most commercial cast bullets.

1. The lead is almost always much too hard for the application. It's hard to resist damage during shipping.
    2. The lube is too hard. Again, just to resist damage during shipping.

For more on the subject http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chap...Metallurgy.htm

Personally I'd look around for some Hi-Tek coated bullets, something like this. https://bayoubullets.net/45-acp-200-gr-rn/
    thanks for that link, i'll look for some of those for the next purchase.

I'll get into casting eventually, I'm still new to reloading and currently enjoying all the money i'm saving from all the equipment I bought...

Boolit Master

50% COWW & 50% Pb is good for 45 ACP. BH of 8 ("Softball') is good below 1k as long as fit is correct. I consider hardcast anything above 21-22 BH i.e. correct alloy to water drop or heat treat.