MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hardest most violent recoil...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'm going to guess that was the 180 gr BB load. That stuff is the real deal, and they do it within SAMMI specs. That guy doesn't water down anything, and the best part is his stuff usually shoots quite accurately too.
    Yep, you nailed it! Just a lot of load for that revolver!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Here is my experience:
    I have personally owned and shot these revolvers:
    S&W 500 in 4 inch barrel
    BFR 500 JRH
    BFR 475 Linebaugh
    To many 44 mags and 45 Colts to count
    S&W 329 44 mag

Nothing "beat" the 329 for viciousness when loaded with factory equivalent loads.
    I have a similar collection with a few changes. My 500 is a bfr, and another one in 45/70. The JRH also has a 50 AE cylinder, add a scandium 2" j frame 357. Contender 45/70 nonported barrel.

The bfr 45/70 is an easy shooter. The 500 mag with 440s I cry uncle with anything over 36 grains of H110, the max is 40.0. The JRH is an outstanding performer and doesn't beat me up, very easy to control. The 50 AE is nothing to worry about. Yes, the 329 with wood grips can be pretty brutal with full pressure loads. The 357 feels much the same but with a narrower backstrap that just cuts into the web of the hand, full house is painful. I have fired a few marlin level loads in the contender (not recommending for several reasons), once again painful.

Which is worst? Probably a toss up between the 357 and contender.

Ebner

Banned
    In Asia, they load muzzleloaders with homemade powder and judge the charge by how far the ramrod sticks out of the barrel (measured by finger width) when tamping the powder. These guns are capable of taking down elephants. I borrowed a friend's gun and loaded it a little warm to see what it would do, That indiscrete gun turned into a raging monster when the trigger was pulled, the round ball shredded a 2" sapling and I was knocked backward onto my dignity. I didn't shoot it again (I didn't want to shoot it again!!) when I returned it he said " oh did I remember to tell you the ramrod is 2 fingers short

Boolit Bub
    I had a Freedom Arms model 83 in 454 Casull. The barrel was 4 5/8 and particularly brutal.

Boolit Master
    My FA M83 has a 4.75 in barrel. I have an Encore with a 12 inch 454 barrel that I shoot 515 grain bullets from.

I shoot a 4 5/8" FA 83 regularly. My hunting buddy has a 2" that is brutal with factory Freedom 300gr ammo

My 3 inch 629 with full House 44mag loads will jar some fillings loose

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    That steel boat anchor? Try a 360. 11.4 ounces of scandium and titanium. Hold on tight!

I suspect someone will be along with a scandium .44 mag shortly.
    I have the M&P 340 that is similar, just doesn't have the titanium cylinder (has a steel one instead). 13.8 ounces. It is definitely no BS with a magnum load, kicking far harder than any steel J frame. I don't find it unbearable with 1000 fps 158 loads, but I probably wouldn't shoot H110/296 level loads in it.

Hard recoil handguns I've shot:

X frame, 4" or so barrel .460 S&W Magnum. That thing is no joke regardless of load.
    .500 S&W with the heaviest cast bullets will definitely put it into your wrist.

Any J frame, but especially the lightweight ones
    Lightweight 3" or so .44 Magnum S&W airweight

What I haven't shot is the 2.5" Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull, I bet that is no joke as well.

A Ruger RH Toklat 5.5" in 454 will give you a pop too.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy

Hands down my 4" Alaskan survival 45/70 derringer... first and only gun to ever draw blood from my hand while shooting.. Hurt to make a fist for two weeks after that.. LOL. muzzle blast and concussion were very impressive to say the least!
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Boolit Master
    12 gauge pump with a rifled slug!
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    well, ranking way up there at the top of the list for hard recoiling guns are the 45-70 Derringers. There were two or three companies that made them over the years too. Bond Arms and American Derringer made them, and I think one other too.
    Here is one example: yes it does hurt to fire one. How this guy even handles it forthat many shots in one day is amazing.

I do notice that he is gritting his teeth

Most uncomfortable rifle:

Henry 45-70 with factory loads. Every bit of that recoil goes straight into your shoulder.
    (By contrast, a .458 SOCOM in an AR-15 form factor -- shooting the same bullet and ballistics -- is downright comfortable.)

Most uncomfortable revolver:

500 S&W Magnum. I haven't even shot max loads yet. Just the "starting" loads -- like 50 grains of CFEBLK -- are something to behold....

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I've got one of these, but never fired it. Thanks for the heads-up though. I'll put my gloves on and give it a whirl one day soon.
    The 1860 sized grip was the problem for my hands. Fitting a 1851 grip to it made it a joy to shoot. Curling my little finger under the grip keeps my second finger just far enough away from the trigger guard to avoid any bite.

329PD is snappy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1017.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	286010

Boolit Master

Several years ago, John Taffin published an article on practice loads for big revolvers. That article has been a life saver for me. He listed loads for several powders each for .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, 480 Ruger, .475 Linebaugh and .500 Linebaugh. Bullets used were 300 gr. for the .44 Mag and .45 Colt. The 480 Ruger, 475 L, 500 L went up from there.

It has been awhile since I shot any of these with more than mid loads. I "celebrated" my 79th birthday last Sunday. I've developed arthritis in my right thumb which has diminished my total hand strength. Casting and handloading have enabled me to keep shooting these big bore guns. I've only got the .44, 45, 454C and 475L. The last 2 mainly because I wanted to own them. The Freedom Arms has extra cylinders which are used instead of the .454. I don't hunt so that didn't enter in to the decision to buy.
    John
    W.TN

I found out this weekend that a 41 mag loaded with 19.5 gr H110 under a 265gr MP from a 4-5/8" barrel RBH is a little hard on the middle finger, elbow and shoulder. They were running 1320 fps on the Labradar.

Boolit Master
    I've shot 500 grain Hornady's just a little over 1900 fps from a 14 inch barreled Encore.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 07-13-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    For pistol: 10 1/2” Ruger .44 magnum with full house loads and no muzzle brake! Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk I have now, in .44 Magnum, has a tremendously effective muzzle brake! Very tame to shoot!
    For rifle: custom built push-feed Win. Model 70 in 7mm STW, about 9.5 pounds and no muzzle brake! Damned thing blurred my vision for about a minute and I never fired it again! Good thing it didn’t belong to me. My 7mm STW I have now is equipped with a Browning Boss so it’s a delight to shoot!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1017.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	286010
    I love how tall that front site is!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast