Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hardest most violent recoil...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have no need for a gun that hurts me.
    no doubt true but alot of it is mental. even a 500 linebaugh doesnt really hurt you. Its is startling and bucks and roars but its not painful. I once watched a 18 year old 100 lb girl that wasnt told a 500 was painful shoot 50 rounds of full power ammo and was giggling while she did it. Grown men standing there wouldnt even shoot it once. Recoil is more of a mental then physicals thing to overcome. Ive had grown men say an 06 kicks to much and made them flinch. But ive also seen my grandkids at at 12 years old shoot them and think it was fun. Now a gun that peals skin off your hand is a bit much. Even i have wore the front sight blade of a linebaugh on the top of my head when i got lacks and didnt respect it. But ive never pulled a trigger on one of my linebaughs and thought it hurt when i shot it right. Now i do have a limit with rifles. I shoot lots of mag rifle ammo every year but my buddys 378 and 460 weatherbys can be painful to shoot. especially after about 10 rounds. They will even leave bruises. But even my 300 wby 338 or 8mag are a not a painful gun to shoot. Only owned three rifles that would get on me.One was my 458 #1 with full power loads, one an 18 inch non ported marlin 4570 stoked to max and then there was my 50ak. That thing stoked up made my 458 #1 feel like a 223. Lever guns just seem to get on me worse due to the stock design. Id put the 50ak right up there with the two weatherbys. thing is we are all handloaders here so you can make any gun comfortable to shoot on the loading bench. Like is said though its more of a mental then physical thing. I know grown men that think an o6 is a cannon and ive even heard grown men say a 40sw kicks to much for them. I doubt either have sent to many people to the hospital.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 05-28-2021 at 05:39 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    no doubt true but alot of it is mental. even a 500 linebaugh doesnt really hurt you. Its is startling and bucks and roars but its not painful. I once watched a 18 year old 100 lb girl that wasnt told a 500 was painful shoot 50 rounds of full power ammo and was giggling while she did it. Grown men standing there wouldnt even shoot it once. Recoil is more of a mental then physicals thing to overcome. Ive had grown men say an 06 kicks to much and made them flinch. But ive also seen my grandkids at at 12 years old shoot them and think it was fun. Now a gun that peals skin off your hand is a bit much. Even i have wore the front sight blade of a linebaugh on the top of my head when i got lacks and didnt respect it. But ive never pulled a trigger on one of my linebaughs and thought it hurt when i shot it right. Now i do have a limit with rifles. I shoot lots of mag rifle ammo every year but my buddys 378 and 460 weatherbys can be painful to shoot. especially after about 10 rounds. They will even leave bruises. But even my 300 wby 338 or 8mag are a not a painful gun to shoot. Only owned three rifles that would get on me.One was my 458 #1 with full power loads, one an 18 inch non ported marlin 4570 stoked to max and then there was my 50ak. That thing stoked up made my 458 #1 feel like a 223. Lever guns just seem to get on me worse due to the stock design. Id put the 50ak right up there with the two weatherbys. thing is we are all handloaders here so you can make any gun comfortable to shoot on the loading bench. Like is said though its more of a mental then physical thing. I know grown men that think an o6 is a cannon and ive even heard grown men say a 40sw kicks to much for them. I doubt either have sent to many people to the hospital.
    No. Pain is pain. Folk's tolerance for it varies.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    T.c. contender, .357 herrett 10" bull barrel. It's the only handgun I've fired in which I've noticed any substantial torque, and I feel the recoil in my elbow, and sometimes my shoulder. It's a beast, and I've not shot it much. I've got two.44 magnums, a super Blackhawk, and a Virginian dragoon, and because of the plow handle grips I've never found a load for either of them that I found unpleasant! Unfortunately, because of arthritis in my thumb knuckle, double action style grips get painful way before I want them to!
    I know what you mean about the elbow pain. I felt that with my brother's 10" 30-30 Contender . . . once.

Boolit Buddy
    Pistol gripped Mossberg 12 gauge with slugs. Not again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim357 View Post
    Pistol gripped Mossberg 12 gauge with slugs. Not again.
    I have a Winchester Defender (pistol grip) that resides next to the bed, “stoked” with 2 3/4” 00 Buck, which I’ve never fired in it........I may need to rethink my choice of loads! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by memtb View Post
    I have a Winchester Defender (pistol grip) that resides next to the bed, “stoked” with 2 3/4” 00 Buck, which I’ve never fired in it........I may need to rethink my choice of loads! memtb
    Yes, you need to always, I mean always, test fire your gun with the ammunition you want to use with it. Otherwise you don't know if the gun will work or not with the ammo. Or to confirm that the gun is functional too.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Yes, you need to always, I mean always, test fire your gun with the ammunition you want to use with it. Otherwise you don't know if the gun will work or not with the ammo. Or to confirm that the gun is functional too.
    I know that it cycles/feeds/functions well with the 00....just never actually “torched” any off! Many rounds downrange with low brass #8’s. memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master
    Don't forget too that the shape of the stock/grips and how they fit the shooter matters a lot as well. When shooting heavier rifles I use a shoulder pad (PAST). Especially with steel/brass butt plates.

I have had pistols hurt with recoil. Mainly the trigger guard hitting my middle finger. Ruger BH was really bad for that when loaded heavy. Palm of hand didn't hurt at all. But, a few months of many heavy loads and my elbow/wrist began to show the effects of too many 'hits'.

Boolit Master
    Had an opportunity to shoot an Airweight 637 in 357 mag this past weekend. With hard cast +P+ it wasn't much fun!
    (Embarrassed to say it is my friend's daughter who carries it when we're chasing bears).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Had an opportunity to shoot an Airweight 637 in 357 mag this past weekend. With hard cast +P+ it wasn't much fun!
    (Embarrassed to say it is my friend's daughter who carries it when we're chasing bears).

What was the 357 mag +p+? Do you mean 38 special?

Well for me the S&W 500 is my worst experience with a handgun....period! A local bear guide offered me the opportunity to fire his gun. He was shooting the thing like I might shoot a lightly loaded .357Mag. Without a shooting glove I let go one round. The gun nearly took my forehead off as it rose upward and backwards. The shot left an imprint on my palm from the checkering on the grip. My wrist, arms and shoulder collectively screamed their surrender. My earmuffs cried fowl. I think my hair on my head ached. It was way bad. He offered my the opportunity to fire the remaining five rounds. Not wanting to ruin a good thing I let him have the honour.

As far as pain goes the experience ranks only to the time I shot several rounds of 44Mag factory rounds through my 44 mag Rossi lever gun. This was shortly before I had my shoulders replaced. The curved steel butt plate did it's best to drive my shoulder bone out my back. God almighty that little gun kicked like a mule. It truly brought tears to my eyes. I since have had my 'smith remove the curve butt plate and install a recoil pad of modern design. The gun still kicks but it is now less hurtful.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    What was the 357 mag +p+? Do you mean 38 special?
    No, it was Buffalo Bore ammo (yes - not +p+ of course - poor idea of a joke).

Boolit Master
    Here is my experience:
    I have personally owned and shot these revolvers:
    S&W 500 in 4 inch barrel
    BFR 500 JRH
    BFR 475 Linebaugh
    To many 44 mags and 45 Colts to count
    S&W 329 44 mag

Nothing "beat" the 329 for viciousness when loaded with factory equivalent loads.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    No, it was Buffalo Bore ammo (yes - not +p+ of course - poor idea of a joke).

I'm going to guess that was the 180 gr BB load. That stuff is the real deal, and they do it within SAMMI specs. That guy doesn't water down anything, and the best part is his stuff usually shoots quite accurately too.

Boolit Bub

Seldom exercise my contender 45-70, but when I do, I go home with hurts in my hand.
    Reduce the issue, ignore the drama

Boolit Man
    The old ducktown disaster double I used to have. I think it was labeled as a Cobray but whatever it was was the side by side 410 derringer. It was a hoot but the welded sheet steel frame and the spur trigger left a void that under recoil would cut the knuckles on my middle finger. I learned to wrap it with the cloth bandaids before shooting. Traded it off to a marlin 60 without a stock. Added a $20 stock and I came out way ahead.

Boolit Master
    The FA 454 Casull with 340gr cast bullets at 1700fps will make a believer out of you. The worst was a T/C Contender 411-JDJ with 340gr cast bullets at 1900fps. That cured me.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Probably the worst for shooting 44 magnums is the not so common Pietta 1873 SAA revolver clone in 44 mag. It really needs better grips as the standard grips are horrid when firing 44 mags. Defintely wear shooting gloves. It is best to stick with 44 Specials in it though.
    Attachment 283448
    I've got one of these, but never fired it. Thanks for the heads-up though. I'll put my gloves on and give it a whirl one day soon.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I've got one of these, but never fired it. Thanks for the heads-up though. I'll put my gloves on and give it a whirl one day soon.
    Yeah, when you look at it, you will note that your second finger is behind the trigger guard. When you fire it, the gun will slam back hard into the finger, the finger knuckle is right there too. The grips let the revolver slide back and down on you making it even harder on that second finger. Ouch. Generally the big bore revolvers have something blocking the finger from being behind the trigger guard. But not with the SAA types of revolvers.

Boolit Master
    Yes, the Pietta 1873 SAA in 357 Mag and the 44 Mag will bite hard. That gun was never designed for the hard kickers. The trigger bite and trigger guard smack really hurt. I tried full power 357m ammo and immediately decided to keep it to more tolerable ammo in the 1873 design.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast