RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: #11 Snap Caps

Boolit Mold

#11 Snap Caps

So I found a file on Thingiverse that prints out a single #11 snap cap for ball and cap revolvers. I printed a couple out and tried them. I was pleasantly surprised to find that PLA held together and did not shatter as I expected. That's when the old gears started spinning. I am patiently waiting for my Tap-O-Cap and All-Prime to arrive, (ordered due to the hard to find or extremely expensive #11 caps) so I figured I would do some experimenting. I found some German roll caps at Bass Pro and proceeded to load up a couple of the snap caps. Hot dang, they worked! Now, they do fracture but they do not seem to jam up the cylinder like the metal caps would.
    This brings me to the subject of my post. The STL file I have prints off 1 cap at a time and takes about 1 minute from start to finish. I would like to try and find a way to modify the file so it would print 20 or 30 at a time to save the constant resetting of my printer for each cap. Anyone have any ideas?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Swampy75 View Post
    So I found a file on Thingiverse that prints out a single #11 snap cap for ball and cap revolvers. I printed a couple out and tried them. I was pleasantly surprised to find that PLA held together and did not shatter as I expected. That's when the old gears started spinning. I am patiently waiting for my Tap-O-Cap and All-Prime to arrive, (ordered due to the hard to find or extremely expensive #11 caps) so I figured I would do some experimenting. I found some German roll caps at Bass Pro and proceeded to load up a couple of the snap caps. Hot dang, they worked! Now, they do fracture but they do not seem to jam up the cylinder like the metal caps would.
    This brings me to the subject of my post. The STL file I have prints off 1 cap at a time and takes about 1 minute from start to finish. I would like to try and find a way to modify the file so it would print 20 or 30 at a time to save the constant resetting of my printer for each cap. Anyone have any ideas?
    Hi Swampy75,
    Welcome to CB! Depending on the slicer you are using, it can be very easy. In Cura, simply click on the item, right click, then select "Multiply Selected" and decide how many additional models you want. You can then right click again and select "Select All," then "Arrange All models." Go ahead and print. For such a small item, it might be better to use a brim rather than a skirt. Hope this helps,
    Ed

Boolit Mold
    Hey Redleg. I use Slice Crafter since it works pretty good with my Chromebook. I'm not seeing that option on there. I'll see if I can get Cura to function. Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My main laptop's hard drive just died or I'd just put a stl file up. Ordered a larger replacement drive so give me a few days, but definitely your slicer will do it for you for now Great idea here, I like it

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampy75 View Post
    I use Cura, and it has a "Multiply model" function when you right click on the model.
    It doesn't arrange the models very well but works easy enough