Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: #11 Snap Caps

  1. #1
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    11

    #11 Snap Caps

    So I found a file on Thingiverse that prints out a single #11 snap cap for ball and cap revolvers. I printed a couple out and tried them. I was pleasantly surprised to find that PLA held together and did not shatter as I expected. That's when the old gears started spinning. I am patiently waiting for my Tap-O-Cap and All-Prime to arrive, (ordered due to the hard to find or extremely expensive #11 caps) so I figured I would do some experimenting. I found some German roll caps at Bass Pro and proceeded to load up a couple of the snap caps. Hot dang, they worked! Now, they do fracture but they do not seem to jam up the cylinder like the metal caps would.
    This brings me to the subject of my post. The STL file I have prints off 1 cap at a time and takes about 1 minute from start to finish. I would like to try and find a way to modify the file so it would print 20 or 30 at a time to save the constant resetting of my printer for each cap. Anyone have any ideas?

  2. #2
    Boolit Master

    RedlegEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Mountain Home, AR
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampy75 View Post
    So I found a file on Thingiverse that prints out a single #11 snap cap for ball and cap revolvers. I printed a couple out and tried them. I was pleasantly surprised to find that PLA held together and did not shatter as I expected. That's when the old gears started spinning. I am patiently waiting for my Tap-O-Cap and All-Prime to arrive, (ordered due to the hard to find or extremely expensive #11 caps) so I figured I would do some experimenting. I found some German roll caps at Bass Pro and proceeded to load up a couple of the snap caps. Hot dang, they worked! Now, they do fracture but they do not seem to jam up the cylinder like the metal caps would.
    This brings me to the subject of my post. The STL file I have prints off 1 cap at a time and takes about 1 minute from start to finish. I would like to try and find a way to modify the file so it would print 20 or 30 at a time to save the constant resetting of my printer for each cap. Anyone have any ideas?
    Hi Swampy75,
    Welcome to CB! Depending on the slicer you are using, it can be very easy. In Cura, simply click on the item, right click, then select "Multiply Selected" and decide how many additional models you want. You can then right click again and select "Select All," then "Arrange All models." Go ahead and print. For such a small item, it might be better to use a brim rather than a skirt. Hope this helps,
    Ed
    ______________________________________________
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is totally optional!

  3. #3
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    11
    Hey Redleg. I use Slice Crafter since it works pretty good with my Chromebook. I'm not seeing that option on there. I'll see if I can get Cura to function. Thanks!

  4. #4
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Pacific NorthWet
    Posts
    3,880
    My main laptop's hard drive just died or I'd just put a stl file up. Ordered a larger replacement drive so give me a few days, but definitely your slicer will do it for you for now Great idea here, I like it

  5. #5
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampy75 View Post
    So I found a file on Thingiverse that prints out a single #11 snap cap for ball and cap revolvers. I printed a couple out and tried them. I was pleasantly surprised to find that PLA held together and did not shatter as I expected. That's when the old gears started spinning. I am patiently waiting for my Tap-O-Cap and All-Prime to arrive, (ordered due to the hard to find or extremely expensive #11 caps) so I figured I would do some experimenting. I found some German roll caps at Bass Pro and proceeded to load up a couple of the snap caps. Hot dang, they worked! Now, they do fracture but they do not seem to jam up the cylinder like the metal caps would.
    This brings me to the subject of my post. The STL file I have prints off 1 cap at a time and takes about 1 minute from start to finish. I would like to try and find a way to modify the file so it would print 20 or 30 at a time to save the constant resetting of my printer for each cap. Anyone have any ideas?
    I use Cura, and it has a "Multiply model" function when you right click on the model.
    It doesn't arrange the models very well but works easy enough

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check