MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEE Ergo Prime

LEE Ergo Prime

I've had a Lee Ergo Prime I've had for about a year and keep having trouble with small primers. Looked for fixes, watched videos to see if I was doing something wrong. Hated to send it back since I'd be without a priming tool while it was repaired but I finally broke down and contacted Lee. Apparently I wasn't the only one and got a response saying they'd redesigned the small primer feed and they'd send a new one in the mail. Probably still won't work as good as the old ones, but you gotta love Lee for their customer service.

Boolit Master

It always amazes me how a business can have a GREAT PRODUCT such as the old Lee Auto Prime Hand Priming Tool - then totally redesign it because the old unit would "Wear Out" and fail after much use. Instead; they redesign and build a new set of units such as the Lee Ergo Primer or the Lee Auto Bench Priming Tool that are problematic out of the box.

I have two of the old Lee Auto Prime Hand Priming Tool units; I keep one set up for Small primers and the other set up for Large Primers. I have had to replace the pot metal handles for each; and had to replace the "Spoon Lever" on each 2 to three times over the last 40 years. They have each had many hundreds of thousands of primers through them. I currently need new pot metal handles for each but they are no longer available. Yet; the Ergo Hand Primer and the Lee Auto Bench Priming Tool's have been less than desirable fresh out of the box and have been deep boxed under the bench.

I have reverted to single priming on my RCBS Rock Chucker - but I no longer use the Rock Chucker priming arm (got tired of primers falling out or being thrown across the room if my thumb slipped off the primer arm). I now use the Lee Ram Prime for all my priming operations (Even use similar unit for my 50BMG repriming). I would prefer to use the old Lee Hand Auto Primers; but I guess I am not representative of the Lee Customer base.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31dOpZtSs9L._AC_.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	283450
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I think it's probably a lawsuit issue that took the old autoprime off the market. If I ever find another old one (at non premium prices) I'm going to take the primer arm to every machine shop until one will make me a steel lever.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    I think it's probably a lawsuit issue that took the old autoprime off the market. If I ever find another old one (at non premium prices) I'm going to take the primer arm to every machine shop until one will make me a steel lever.
    The lawsuit angle may have been a real possibility, but the lawyer/lawsuit response is often used when the real answer isn't easily found. The problem with the original round tray Auto Prime was well-documented. I guess this was thirty years ago, maybe longer. Newcomers may be unaware of any of this. At least one write-up was published in a gun magazine and Lee may also mention it in their loading manual.

There were reports of primer detonations by customers using the original Auto Prime. Lee duplicated the blowups in their shop. I don't remember the fine points, but they recommended using only Winchester or CCI primers. I think they may have also recommended only partial filling of the tray. The "improved, non-dangerous" Auto Prime kept primers singly isolated just prior to and during the seating step. Safer, but the new tool didn't work as well as the old one.

Like so many here, I used the old models for a long time. They eventually wore out. I lubed them when I thought about it. However, lubing them regularly would probably extend their useful life, but not by very much. These tools were made of something pretty soft. Claims of using them for forty or more years have been made and I have no doubt the claims are true, but if you're priming a lot of cases annually, say ten or twenty thousand or more, they won't last long. Regardless, for the price, the dangerous model was hard to beat and it functioned well.

Boolit Master

I like my RCBS bench prime. If im loading only a few rounds. I'll prime on the press.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

I'm on my third Lee Auto-Prime - one round tray and two square - and have just about worn out the one I'm currently using. Dunno what I'm going to replace it with but it won't be an Ergo Prime. Pretty much, I only use mine for Large Rifle primers...handgun rounds all get primed on whichever of the Dillons I'm using and I only load two calibers that take Small Rifle: 32-20 and .22 Hornet. I keep thinking 'bench primer' but haven't been able to find a Forster in stock anywhere.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Got my replacement piece in yesterday and just by looking, it appears exactly the same. I'm almost afraid to try it because I'm afraid it's going to do the exact same thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E4C5C4FC-C0D5-4D59-B325-8402ED5FA847.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	284061
    I also use a couple lee auto primes, one set up for LRP for ‘06 and 30-40 krag and another set up for SRP for 300 blkout. I jbwelded some 1/8 inch thick x1 inch wide aluminum handles on the pot metal handle bottoms that broke. Just flattened them out and roughed them up before jbwelding them. Haven’t broken yet.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 06-06-2021 at 09:04 AM.

Hopefully it won't, but I epoxied and even drilled and tapped one and put a steel handle on it. They all ended up breaking eventually.
    Used the ergo prime with the new arm the other day, so far so good. Fed smooth and no jams or sideways primers.

I tried Lee's Bench primer for a while. It has a problem in that the covers come loose and the primers jam up by getting sideways. I have one of their earlier square tray auto primers but it does the same thing - but to a lesser extent. I was happy with the original Auto Prime tools but had the same problem with disintegrating thumb levers. I tried buying replacement levers three at a time but, alas, I finally gave up.

Are the hand primers from RCBS or others better? I like the feel of the primers bottoming.

The RCBS is sideways and the Lyman is backwards. I liked the Hornady bit reviews seemed pretty bad. May still try the Hornady later.

I had an Ergo Prime. Mine wouldn't work with large or small primers. They would jam up, get stuck, and sometimes they would even somehow jump right out of the thing. Taking the feed mechanism apart with live primers in it was a real joy. It"s the only piece of reloading equipment I ever threw in the trash.

Boolit Master
    I bought a 21st Century hand priming tool several years ago. Much cheaper in cost over a long period and there is no frustration in comparison with buying a pile of various priming tools that don't work well.

Sold mine on e bay for a ridiculous amount of $$$$$. I prime on my Dillon!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I bought a 21st Century hand priming tool several years ago. Much cheaper in cost over a long period and there is no frustration in comparison with buying a pile of various priming tools that don't work well.
    I appreciate that you posted this. I've come very close to ordering the Sinclair one several times. This one appears vastly superior! I'll be ordering one today.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    I appreciate that you posted this. I've come very close to ordering the Sinclair one several times. This one appears vastly superior! I'll be ordering one today.
    I've also had a Sinclair. It's a good tool as well, but I prefer the 21st Century. If you prime a lot, like I do, the cost amortized over several years is minimal and you don't have to deal with the headaches and makeshift solutions that go with a lesser priming tool. I use the original one-at-time version but I think they also have one with a tray.

Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I don't know what that is but I'm going to look it up.

EDIT: Found them, I think if I wanted one of those I'd just take the tray off the one I got. I like the ram prime too If I'm not worried about speed. I just want the old LEE auto prime made out of steel with a square tray, appearantly I'm asking too much though.

A correction about the Lyman, the tray is on the right side on them. I don't know what made me decide against it, may still try on of those in the future.

Boolit Master
    I’ve been through most of the Lee hand primers but finally have settled on the Frankford Arsenal hand primer. It comes with a full set of shell holders, is depth adjustable, has good feel, is built like a tank, and just plain works.

I've had bad luck with FA products and even worse luck with their customer service. I hope both have changed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    I've had bad luck with FA products and even worse luck with their customer service. I hope both have changed.
    The plastic bowl on my FA vibrating tumbler broke, so I called them about a replacement. They cost $10.00 including shipping so I ordered two of them. If it had been less than five years old and I had a receipt to prove it they would have been covered at least for the first one. But as long as the original one lasted, two more for twenty bucks is a pretty darn fair deal. In the years I used it I would say I cleaned at least 250,000-300,000 cases, so I’m plenty satisfied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast