Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataPBcastco
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Great little stove for fast melting

Boolit Bub

Great little stove for fast melting

Just picked up a MSR PocketRocket 2 (got mine at REI) today, mainly for taking out to the parks on a nice day...but that thing burns so hot it was really easy to melt a little lead in a steel cup and get the mold nice and hot quick too.
    If anyone else is looking for a little stove that you could honestly take out to the range if you needed to, this is a great low cost stove that has really good flame control.
    Paid $35 on sale today.

Boolit Master

Not to disregard this suggestion, I wonder what experiences folks have had with the Century 'trail scout' model 2058 propane stoves? Only because I have plenty of the short stubby propane tanks around and find propane use handy. Do they have enough heat and strength to hold a cast iron pot with say 5 pounds of alloy.
    It would be for home use to process pewter and such. My chinesium hot plate just doesn't get it done for me with it's frequent shutdowns.
    Last edited by oley55; 05-31-2021 at 01:16 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Banned
    Both stoves will work BUT I would NOT put very much weight on either of them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    I feared as much. I just hate cranking up a big cooker for small batches. Guess I'll just have to get over it.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

It should be easy to build a support around it with bricks or fire bricks. Use that to support the pot.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    how long does isopro fuel last? at 8oz, $5.95 or 16oz/$9.95 could get expensive, but for just casting a few slugs out just about anywhere, put together with a lee loader in pack could be very handy.

Boolit Master
    (Great little stoves for their intended purpose too!)
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    It should be easy to build a support around it with bricks or fire bricks. Use that to support the pot.
    Don't ever do this! The intense heat reflected back onto the propane/butane cylinder could cause a catastrophic event. If you need that kind of pot support with this stove, you're using too big/too heavy of a pot.

I've used the gasoline MSR gas stove, the XGK, to smelt and cast. The fuel bottle is a distance from the burner, and protected from the heat by the burner's heat shield. The whole stove is very stable, works great, but is loud.
    Last edited by fgd135; 06-07-2021 at 10:34 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    absolutely agree. Im only melting one shot of lead at a time in a ladle...NOT sitting any weight on the stove at all.
    I made a video of the stuff Im using here...
    https://youtu.be/UKTXizVaa10

BUT...I just got this puppy from amazon today so no more hot gluing the ends for me, lol
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210611_132112007.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	284345

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by PbHurler View Post
    (Great little stoves for their intended purpose too!)
    oh yeah....I didnt even know these little camp stoves like this existed till recently. Went to REI and picked up the pocketrocket2. Took about 23 seconds to start loving it. Cant wait to get it in the outdoors over the summer here.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    Not to disregard this suggestion, I wonder what experiences folks have had with the Century 'trail scout' model 2058 propane stoves? Only because I have plenty of the short stubby propane tanks around and find propane use handy. Do they have enough heat and strength to hold a cast iron pot with say 5 pounds of alloy.
    It would be for home use to process pewter and such. My chinesium hot plate just doesn't get it done for me with it's frequent shutdowns.
    I wouldnt put that kind of weight directly on the stove/canister, no.
    but you might be able to sit it under a wire frame support of some sort like they have for other stoves like the little alcohol camp stoves.

as far as heat.....think propane torch, lol

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossy88 View Post
    absolutely agree. Im only melting one shot of lead at a time in a ladle...NOT sitting any weight on the stove at all.
    I made a video of the stuff Im using here...
    https://youtu.be/UKTXizVaa10

BUT...I just got this puppy from amazon today so no more hot gluing the ends for me, lol
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210611_132112007.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	284345
    I got one of them roosian roll crimpers a while back. It is the nuts for a neato looking shell.