Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Hornady .32 HBWC

Banned

Hornady .32 HBWC

Loaded up some for my younger son's single six with 2.7 grains of Bullseye. Should be what he's looking for. small game and plinking load.

These sure don't have much in the way of lube and I'm sure they're dead soft. How concerned should a guy be about leading with a load like this?

I think next batch, I will tumble lube them with alight coat of LLA.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In what caliber? 2.7 grains is way too hot for a flush - seated HBWC in .32 S&W Long, but is about right in a .327 Federal. A bit warm for .32 H&R Mag. I would expect leading.

About 1.7 grains of Bullseye approximates factory wadcutter in the .32 S&W Long at 0.95" OAL.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Other than the Federal id back it down to 2.0gr, maybe a little lower if the SW as Outpost said. My baby Vaq 32 H&R's run 50/50 good at 2.0gr BE but I don't use that powder much
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    In what caliber? 2.7 grains is way too hot for a flush - seated HBWC in .32 S&W Long, but is about right in a .327 Federal. A bit warm for .32 H&R Mag. I would expect leading.

About 1.7 grains of Bullseye approximates factory wadcutter in the .32 S&W Long at 0.95" OAL.
    This one is a .32 H&R mag, should have mentioned that. The Hornady manual called that a mid level load, maybe I need to drop it a bit. Slower is better.

Just shot a couple dozen, I'll run a patch of Ed's Red though it and see.

Boolit Grand Master

As outpost75 said; that's way too much Bullseye even in H&R cases. I've found 2.1 gr to be max. Has nothing to do with pressure but more than that "blows" the skirt of the HB on exit with accuracy going south.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    As outpost75 said; that's way too much Bullseye even in H&R cases. I've found 2.1 gr to be max. Has nothing to do with pressure but more than that "blows" the skirt of the HB on exit with accuracy going south.
    OK, gonna have to look at that Hornady manual again. Guess it's a good thing we only loaded and shot a few.

Banned

Just walked out to the shop to double check and sure enough, Hornady 9th edition gives a min of 2.2 grains and a max of 3.1 with that very bullet in the .32 H&R. I wondered if maybe I had read the wrong page and used data for the .327, but I did not, I was in the middle of published data range.

Looked at the primers which are a little flatter than I like. I appreciate you guys pointing this out, I'll likely just use .32 S&W data for wadcutter loads from here on out, no real reason not to, that's really the power level we're looking for anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Most published loads are developed based on velocity and pressure. The 3.1 gr max load is applicable to the Hornaday 90 gr swaged SWC.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Unfortunately that Hornady HBWC is long discontinued. I wish I had a steady supply of them to load in my 32 revolvers. . I bought a HBWC mould to cast my own, but they won’t be the same as those swaged, soft led ones.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I still have a few Remington 32 caliber wad cutters I bought several ages ago. Lube treatment I assume is the same as the Hornady. Never ever had any leading problems, but on the other hand I ain't much for super sonic loads either. 2.7 grains of Bullseye is the NRA recommended load for 148 grain wad cutters in 38 Special.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Speer 14 shows 2.1 - 2.3 grains with their 98 grain HBWC in 32 H&R Mag.

Banned

Most published loads are developed based on velocity and pressure. The 3.1 gr max load is applicable to the Hornaday 90 gr swaged SWC.
    And I believe you, does seem strange that they would do that, though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Unfortunately that Hornady HBWC is long discontinued. I wish I had a steady supply of them to load in my 32 revolvers. . I bought a HBWC mould to cast my own, but they won’t be the same as those swaged, soft led ones.
    Didn't realize they were discontinued. I have quite a few. I also have a coffee can full of the Lyman .32 wadcutter that's not designed to be flush seated, which my Dad cast, and I have the mold, so should be good for .32 wadcutter loads which seem like the perfect plinking and small game combo.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    And I believe you, does seem strange that they would do that, though.
    Additionally solid test barrels don't blow the skirts as soon as revolvers do. The test barrels also usually are longer which means less exit pressure. Best to simply work up a load for the revolver they are used in. If accuracy tested at 15+ yards the bullet holes will show evidence [elongated hole] of bullet wobble from damaged skirts when to much powder is used.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Additionally solid test barrels don't blow the skirts as soon as revolvers do. The test barrels also usually are longer which means less exit pressure. Best to simply work up a load for the revolver they are used in. If accuracy tested at 15+ yards the bullet holes will show evidence [elongated hole] of bullet wobble from damaged skirts when to much powder is used.
    In my somewhat limited experience a tenth of a grain of Bullseye can make a significant difference in 32S&W Long loads. If your group size starts expanding, you are probably using too much Bullseye. I was trying out my Lee 314 90 swc's. The sweet spot was at 1.9 grains. At 2 grains the group size began opening up. Even further at 2.1 grains.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Didn't realize they were discontinued. I have quite a few. I also have a coffee can full of the Lyman .32 wadcutter that's not designed to be flush seated, which my Dad cast, and I have the mold, so should be good for .32 wadcutter loads which seem like the perfect plinking and small game combo.
    Richhodg66, I have that same mould from Ideal. I see where it ought to shoot very well, but so far I haven’t found a loading for it that any of my 32s really likes. I was planning on trying to go with the tumble lube wad cutter design from Lee (now regrettably discontinued) but since I have that mould and you are using it too, maybe I should give it another look. Shall we start a new thread and chat about it?

Froggie

PS To prevent accusations of a hijack, I’ll go ahead and start a new thread with this.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned

No problems with a hijack, but I'll follow the new thread.