Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The what is current fair price for powder/primers

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    That’s called price gouging in Texas....... I just gave a fellow hand loader 1000 small pistol primers! You should be ashamed of this!
    I disagree with you. There's nothing for him to be ashamed about.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I have been toying with idea of selling some primers and maybe a dozen pounds of powder, ive come to realize I'll probably never use all the lg mag rifle primers in the bunker and the same with some powder on hand.
    I was thinking $100/1000 primers--came to this price because midway is now selling primers when they have them for $75/1000 plus shipping and hazmat
    and was thinking $50/lb for powder.
    are theses prices out of line for face to face local sale?
    When I sold some primers and powder, I did it locally and ignored the opinions of forum members. Your local market will establish a fair price.
    Don Verna

Selling your cache of supplies, when the push from "those people" is to eradicate our entire industry?
    Not anything I would even consider.....but you do whatever you think is best for you......
    NRA Benefactor

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    When I sold some primers and powder, I did it locally and ignored the opinions of forum members. Your local market will establish a fair price.
    The market will pay only what the market will pay.
    Its that simple.

Go to gunbroker.
    Look and see what the current auctions are (the ones with active bids).
    Just looked right now. CCI LRMP - 500 primers for $77 plus $10 ground shipping so lets say $180 Per K (auction # 900924766) 26 mins to go
    Another one - same seller as first one - 1K primers $176 plus $10 ground - so that's $190 per K (auction #900924777) 24 mins to go
    Another one - different seller - 5K primers $407.50 plus $65 shipping so that's $95 per k (auction # 901667387) 24 hrs to go so price will def change

Yes its pretty easy for us long time reloaders that are sitting on 10K + primers of every type to say your not gonna pay the high prices. But the bottom line is first time reloaders that have never had the chance to stock pile primers will pay that price.
    Until ammo gets back on the shelves and STAYS on the shelves, the price of primers will not come down in price.
    All the manufacturers have been running 24/7 to produce components so unless they bring on new production lines they can't increase the amount they make per day.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

ADMIN

btw its up to $88 for 500!! they keep bidding, like I said the market will pay what the market will pay

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ih772 View Post
    I disagree with you. There's nothing for him to be ashamed about.
    Agreed. I might sell to a friend, someone I know that NEEDS them, at a price that is where things were, but not to anyone else. I wouldn't know if they REALLY needed them, just building a supply or would in-turn resell at current market rates.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

ADMIN

At the beginning of this mess, I sold my friend John (Hivelocity) 5K small pistol primers for $26 per K which at the time was the last price Powder Valley had listed and basically was what I paid for them shipped. Selling to friends is different then selling to strangers.

Boolit Master

a store might sell them for 50 bucks WHEN it can get them. its only price gouging when its an emergency and nothing is available, right now you can buy all you want for the 100 buck range at shows. like I said before if you think its wrong to sell an item at the current going rate then you need to sell me all your silver at last years price.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    Powder shows up pretty regularly. I’ve purchased AA#9 and HP38 8 lbs both under $30 to my door, but I guess you can find someone who would pay $50 per pound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

If selling to someone that is not a friend, sell close enough to going rate to lessen the chance that they will be back on the market instead of being used. No reason to let someone else make a profit on them.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

LGS, Hagerstown Md. LRP $20.00/500. Limit 2 sleeves. You may have waited too long, the prices are starting to return to reality.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Banned

Price gouging!

Sell your stuff for what you can if that’s what you want to do. 1st edition Superman comic was originally $.10. Now its $3m. Why would anyone expect to get it for $.10 now? My point is the sale is between the buyer and the seller and what they will sell/buy. It might cost you 2x to buy it back next year

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    LGS, Hagerstown Md. LRP $20.00/500. Limit 2 sleeves. You may have waited too long, the prices are starting to return to reality.
    Reasonable pricing at Hendershots? Say it ain't so.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Do me a favor and give reality directions to Florida!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I have been toying with idea of selling some primers and maybe a dozen pounds of powder, ive come to realize I'll probably never use all the lg mag rifle primers in the bunker and the same with some powder on hand.
    I was thinking $100/1000 primers--came to this price because midway is now selling primers when they have them for $75/1000 plus shipping and hazmat
    and was thinking $50/lb for powder.
    are theses prices out of line for face to face local sale?
    Mostly, I think you are asking the wrong people...but as I read through the entire thread, I did see some good answers.

My advice?
    get a table at the local gunshow and price your stuff $5 or 10 less then the other vendors.

Also, I've had numerous "friends of friends" contacting me to see if I have any primers for sale...it always ends the same way, they think I'm out of my mind for the prices I mention, and I tell them to buy 'em at the LGS. Of course, they already know there isn't any, at any of the LGS's in my area.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    Yes its pretty easy for us long time reloaders that are sitting on 10K + primers of every type to say your not gonna pay the high prices.
    It’s true that having a 10K + supply of the primers I use is better than having none. Pre-panic my current stock would last close to a year. Not knowing when / if the shortages will end I went into conserve mode to make them last 3 & 1/2 years. About now primers for $45-$55 per thousand is beginning to look good. Not desperate enough to pay $125 - $150 yet. But like smoking, very few smokers quit because cigarettes got too expensive.
    I’ve sold literally a ton of brass on CB at reasonable prices. Most was ready to load. When I see the same guys reselling it for 50% + more it doesn’t bother me. I got what I asked for it and have enough for my needs. Still can’t see gouging for primers. Most reloaders don’t treat our hobby as a profit generator.

Banned

$37-$47/lb is what powders are at here today.

Quote Originally Posted by Postell View Post
    Reasonable pricing at Hendershots? Say it ain't so.
    Haefers(sp). Henderson's moved back to Hancock.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

I think 1 year from today there still will be no primers for sale at our local Gun Shop. Primers could be the next bitcoin kinda within the fraternity. I'v got plenty of primers ( for my typical use ) and am not considering buying or selling any because of what I just said.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast