Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The what is current fair price for powder/primers

"But the bottom line is first time reloaders that have never had the chance to stock pile primers will pay that price.
    Until ammo gets back on the shelves and STAYS on the shelves, the price of primers will not come down in price."

I recently started reloading and best I've been able to find online is small lots of primed brass cost+shipping at an average of $0.33/each, all my local stores are sold out of ammo (except less common calibers) and components.

I'll try the gun show in early June now that those are happening again

Boolit Buddy
    If you have a local auction house put a 1000 primers on there and let the buyers fight over them and set their own price. Just don’t flood the market at one time.

Boolit Master

Always on the lookout for primers. I drove the wife a couple hours up the coast to visit her friend. While she was visiting I searched for primers. Found one shop that still had CCI LR @ $3.49 / 100. Limit was 200 primers. I don’t use LR so left them for someone in need.
    We’re expecting company from up north next month. I called a couple dozen vendors in that area. Found one that had CCI SP in stock. $10.00 / 100 with a maximum of 200 primers. The guy I spoke to said they were restricting quantity so the reloaders that needed primers could buy them. They wouldn’t sell in larger quantities because people would just buy to resell on line for a profit.
    I think limiting quantities in the present circumstances is a reasonable thing to do. But I question the seller’s noble sentiments when he’s already marked prices up 100%.

Wish I was local. I'd like to shoot my 30-30, and what do you mean you can't use them. I thought you were supposed to keep a gun around to use every type of primer and every diameter bullet. Still need a 50 BMG for that diameter and primer size and something that uses musket caps, but then again I never see any of that stuff on sale. A few diameters missing, but I'm working on it.

Boolit Master
    A vendor local to me (Bay Area) has received a shipment of Winchester small pistol primers. His cost (wholesale, I believe) is what he used to charge retail before the shortages hit.

They're being doled out sparingly and infrequently.

Boolit Master

For those who think that "price gouging" is when a person offers an item for sale and someone buys it, please don't "gouge" when you sell your house or land.
    Bullsnarkey.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by truckerdave397 View Post
    If you have a local auction house put a 1000 primers on there and let the buyers fight over them and set their own price. Just don’t flood the market at one time.
    Don’t most auction houses charge a seller’s premium? Ones I’ve heard of are anywhere from 20 to 30%. If you’re just interested in seeing what they’re worth I guess an auctioneer would work but from a return on investment perspective why pay someone commission to sell something that sells itself?

Boolit Bub
    2 weeks ago my local Scheel's had a whole shelf full of CCI 500 spp's for $45/K. Hope that isn't the new "normal" price. They also had a bunch of bullets, but still no powder.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TankerDon View Post
    2 weeks ago my local Scheel's had a whole shelf full of CCI 500 spp's for $45/K. Hope that isn't the new "normal" price. They also had a bunch of bullets, but still no powder.
    I hope you purchased the limit at $45/1000.

I believe that in 2 years we will be looking back wistfully at that price.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    I believe that in 2 years we will be looking back wistfully at that price.
    Bookworm is right. I had the same feeling at the gas pump yesterday.

Boolit Buddy
    A whole lot of people here don't seem to know how markets work. It doesn't matter what Midway would be willing to sell them to you for if they had them....because they don't.

I would gladly pay $50 a pound for the powders I want to have on the shelf. There's some I'd pay $200+ a pound for right now.

The reality is that materials are scarce and there are more buyers than sellers. They should go to whoever values them most. That's how markets prevent hoarding and allocate scarce resources efficiently.

I think your prices sound pretty good, and perhaps a bit low. I would start higher than that on the primers. For the powder, it depends very much on whether you have the popular ones everyone wants or the more obscure ones that may be very valuable, but to fewer people.

By the way, those of you using the term "price gouging," consider this: you may not ever be able to replenish your supply even at $100 per thousand for primers. Whatever stash you have, regardless of what you paid for it, you might never again in your lifetime see prices like that again. Maybe $45 is the new normal, or maybe $150 a thousand is the new normal. Nobody knows.

In 2005, I remember a man telling me I'd never see gasoline for less than $2/gallon again. I know I have purchased gasoline for less than $2 in nominal cost since then, and in real cost, taking into account inflation, I certainly have. Nobody knows what the future of markets will bring, and if they did, they wouldn't tell you...they'd be investing in the stock market and taking the gains for themselves.

Boolit Master

CCI Website now shows a retail price of $6.99 / 100 SPP.
    But you can’t purchase from them direct.

Boolit Master

Gun show in Ladson SC last weekend (June 5-6) all powder was $50.00+ per pound. I only saw one vendor that had primers, Federal all sizes $135 per thousand. Nothing followed me home!

Quote Originally Posted by TankerDon View Post
    I'd be happy to pay $45/1000 right now. Saw powder in stock for $65/lb, but wasn't paying that though. Maybe if it had been pistol powder

I still have primers that are marked @ $0.89 per hundred, the last ones I bought were over 4 times that price. At a local auction last Saturday there were 3 thousand that sold for $150.00 per thousand and a single bidder took them all.

Boolit Master
    florida auctioneers are famous for outrageous fees, I remember before moving out of there had made arraignments with auctioneer to clear out my warehouse, the final tally for him came out to just about 50% between buyer and seller fees. but get out in the rest of the country and ive found most common is about 15% seller fee and they are more than happy with whatever they can get.
    don't want to get off track her but a close friend who has connections with a shooting range that has gun and ammo shop says they would be more than happy to pay 50 dollars pound for powder and 75 dollar a thousand for primers if they could find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Don’t most auction houses charge a seller’s premium? Ones I’ve heard of are anywhere from 20 to 30%. If you’re just interested in seeing what they’re worth I guess an auctioneer would work but from a return on investment perspective why pay someone commission to sell something that sells itself?

Boolit Buddy
    I bought about 32k assorted at $175 per thousand in January this year. That was pretty steep, but I've got them. I can get more money but should this situation continue, the primers available now from people who don't plan to use them in their prosaic form will dwindle and the price will rise correspondingly. Then I won't be able to get any primers. If production returns to normal I will buy some more, but hopefully through the normal channels at a more reasonable rate. If you can tolerate not being able to make ammunition you could wait it out. I don't want to play that game but I can only speak for myself.

Banned

I am so glad that I have kept up with my needs, I wouldn't want to be in a place where I'd have to consider these prices. Our LGS gets primers and powder in once in a while, they have powders right now at what I call normal prices $25-$30, primers are running at $40-$43/1000. I pick up my most used when they have them. I probably have more LR primers than I need but I'll keep them for the future. No judgement here, to each his own.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123