MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The what is current fair price for powder/primers

Boolit Master

The what is current fair price for powder/primers

I have been toying with idea of selling some primers and maybe a dozen pounds of powder, ive come to realize I'll probably never use all the lg mag rifle primers in the bunker and the same with some powder on hand.
    I was thinking $100/1000 primers--came to this price because midway is now selling primers when they have them for $75/1000 plus shipping and hazmat
    and was thinking $50/lb for powder.
    are theses prices out of line for face to face local sale?

Did I read this right. Midway selling them for $75 per thousand and you are selling them for $100 per thousand?

Moderator Emeritus

As a seller you can ask whatever you want to. Ask yourself if you want to sell them or just have them for sale. No one I know would pay the same for pre-owned as from a trusted store that takes returns and deals with faults.
    If Midway has them for $75 + shipping, I would price mine at $67.50 or 10% less.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    It’s becoming a more local thing, but I think $100/k for spp will probably sell easily most places, might need to go down a bit or wait longer to sell lg primers at that price.

I don’t believe that powder is selling for near $50. There are a few that are pricey, but for powder generally think $25-30.

Boolit Master
    midway has current limits on quantity when the do get them in and with hazmat and shipping folks are paying about $120/1000 from reports ive read.
    I'm just thinking what it will cost if I want to replace the stuff in future, but in the fall of my life the future is unknown.
    I picked those prices out of thin air after watching what folks are paying on the big auction site and for example on tn gun owners site there are ads for primers at $250/1000 and on other site I saw common powders like unique and 4350 for $100/lb

Put the price out there and see if you get any calls. That will tell you if you're too high or not. If you get a bunch of calls, raise your prices.

Boolit Man
    To the person that needs them and has no other access to anything, it may be worth it to them.

Boolit Master

Not judging anybody but here’s how I see it:
    $120.00 / thousand is 3 to 4 times more than I’ve ever paid for primers, shipping & taxes included. In the midst of this political farce primers are unobtainable and may continue to be so for a long time. If I’m frugal my supply could last a while and that’s why I won’t sell them to someone I don’t know and like a lot. I recently sold some to a friend in need for what I paid before the shortage. He would do the same for me. I won’t take a profit from my few friends and family.
    Even if I was hurting for $$$ and wanted / needed to sell components on the open market, a 3 or 4 hundred percent profit would be unethical IMO. But that’s just me.
    Fair price is a relative term.

Boolit Bub
    My local gun store is selling rifle powder for $51 a pound. IMR-4064, IMR-3031 etc. They used to sell it for $32 a pound before the panic. Their common shotgun powders are up to $39 a pound, they were $29 a pound before the panic too.

Boolit Buddy
    My local stores have powders in small quantities at 30-40 a lb, with a one lb per visit. Primers are 7-10 per 100.00. If you want to try to make some money, I say go for it. As for the whole panic buying thing, it’s about over for what I’m seeing. Prices are dropping around me but not a lot of stock but things are looking better every day.

I think “fair” depends on who you are selling to. I think Bmi pretty much stated my opinion. I would help out close friends without profiting or do some trading, but I just do not feel like adding to the component circus that has and is occurring in the marketplace. That said, it’s beyond my job description to judge others.

Boolit Buddy
    I gave $75 per thousand SPP at gun show this weekend, most powder was $40

Boolit Buddy

I wouldn't use Midway as a price gauge.

+10% of the price you payed in early 2020.

Don't be a price gouger.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I would use prices from a local gun show, not the highest, but rather what is moving. around here they ask for 125 to 250 at the shows and the stuff at 125 sells and the rest just sits. I wondered about whether I would be gouging people at 125 but thats the current market and if any body want to sell their silver at last years prices, just let me know. right now its a sellers market, next year it could be a buyers or really a sellers market, who knows.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I picked up 2 pounds of CFE 223 @ 26.00 per pound and a pound of titegroup @ 20.00 per pound at the WalMart in Spencer, WV last Thursday. Primers locally are 45.00 per thousand and they aren't moving so very fast. I think you might of missed the wave.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    I picked up 2 pounds of CFE 223 @ 26.00 per pound and a pound of titegroup @ 20.00 per pound at the WalMart in Spencer, WV last Thursday. Primers locally are 45.00 per thousand and they aren't moving so very fast. I think you might of missed the wave.
    Well I sure haven't seen any sitting around on the shelves here. I would be more than happy to pay 45 - 50 per K if I saw them. It still keeps me shooting for much less than I can buy ammo for.

Boolit Master

When I have had an occasional firearm I am no longer interested in or when I decided to down size some items. I wait for the local gun show to come to town. As is my habit for a gun show I put on my old shooting vest covered in reloading and firearm related patches and my biggest cowboy hat. Carry the item I want to part with either in plain sight or in a small satchel. I put a plain piece of typewriter paper pinned to the back of my vest marked with a large marker pin say FOR SALE with a price and the item plainly stated. FYI Do not put the sign on you til your inside. I'v been mobbed in the parking lot before I can get in! Within 20 min. your primers should be gone then you can enjoy the show and buy something with your loot. No postage No hazmat etc

Banned
    I recently bought primers

Grafs.com

Products & Fees
    Item # Name Price Quantity Total
    RM712LA REMINGTON PRIMER 7-1/2 LA SMALL RIFLE BENCH REST 5000/CS $222.99 1 $222.99

Fixed-Rate Shipping $9.95
    Hazardous Materials Fee $19.50

Total $252.44

With the Remington plant now running at full capacity, things should start to taper off and get back to better prices.

Local store has primers and powder at regular prices when he can get it. Most Powder $27.00 - $40.00 depending on type. Primers $40.00 - $60.00 depending on type.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Banned

That’s called price gouging in Texas....... I just gave a fellow hand loader 1000 small pistol primers! You should be ashamed of this!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast