RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Springer Air Rifles

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    With all the doom & gloom concerning availability of powder and primers, I dusted off the Diana 52 (side cocking) and was suprised how accurate it is out to 40yds. Mine is fitted with anschutz small bore aperature and loaded with the heavy H&N Baracuda 10.6gn pellets.
    I have owned two RWS 48`s, .177 .20. Traded the .177 to get the .20. This turned out to be a mistake, as available pellets for caliber were very few and limited. The .177 was a tack driver. The lite 7.9 gr pellets leaded the barrel as they were to fast. After a good cleaning, I tried the CP 10.5 gr pellet. No leading, less cleaning, happy me. The 10.5 gr CP`s were steller. In my younger days carrying a 48 hunting for 5-7 hours was fun. Sold both 48`s, miss the .177.

Vendor Sponsor

I have a TX-200 as well and use it for offhand practice on the 50 foot 22rf gallery target here at home in the driveway. (Schuetzen 25 ring targets scaled from the 200yd target.

I find the TX-200 very accurate and as said the velocity is not in the MAGNUM air rifle class. It is plenty however to take fox squirrels with head shots offhand out to 25 - 30 yards.

Gard72977 is the 12 pound kit heaver or lighter than the stock rifle?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I have 2 springers, an old BSA .177 that shoots fair but is low power (450fps) and a Beeman Sportsman RS2 .177/.22. The Beeman in .22 shoot about 850fps but won't shoot under an inch at 20yds with anything but RWS meisterkulgen at 5cents or more each. I have been wanting a PCP but the price of the gun and pump have been stopping me.

Recently I found a very lightly used Benjamin Discovery with pump and a Center Point 3x9 AO scope at a local auction house and won the bid at $250. I haven't had it long and haven't shot it a lot yet but have been testing different pellets for accuracy. It shoots most any flat nose or round nose under an inch at 35yds and a couple under an inch at 50yds. I am very happy with it as a hunting air gun even though I know it is about the lowest priced/quality PCP there is.

Boolit Mold
    I forgot to mention, that I own 2 TX200`s, .177 birch, and a walnut .22. The .177 is out for a tune. Local pests need attention.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I have a TX-200 as well and use it for offhand practice on the 50 foot 22rf gallery target here at home in the driveway. (Schuetzen 25 ring targets scaled from the 200yd target.

I find the TX-200 very accurate and as said the velocity is not in the MAGNUM air rifle class. It is plenty however to take fox squirrels with head shots offhand out to 25 - 30 yards.

Gard72977 is the 12 pound kit heaver or lighter than the stock rifle?
    The 12lb kit is lighter. It takes some of the hold sensetivity out of the gun. They come factory with 14fpe or a little more. The factory power level is better suited for taking squirrel.

Vendor Sponsor

Gard - thanks for that info!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Mold
    I have 2 rifles an older spanish made Gamo Whisper VH with over 2K rounds thru it, a simple deburr and lube job with a quality after market seal and trigger and a Bushnell Trophy 1.75--4 Brush scope has kept it very accurate, 177 cal and 5/16" groups at 25 yards keeps the gophers and ground squirrels in check.
    The other is a Diana 34 in 177, it's not fussy about pellets and wears the same model scope as the Gamo, less than a 1000 rounds thru this one , accuracy is under 1/2" at 25 yds with 7.4 gr to 10.6 gr. Very nice fully adjustable trigger on this rifle makes it a pleasur to shoot. Not an arm or leg in either one yet both do a nice job and are a great introduction to new shooters in the area.
    Maybe someday when powder and primers loosen up the big rifles will come back out, for now the air rifles and pellets will have to serve.
    Best to all,
    Steve
    Onward thru the Fog, cuz Liberty is NOT an option, It is a MUST.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have not taken the trip to the PCP side of Air Rifles. I have 2 Springers One Diana 430L that shoots lights out and have dispatched several pecan eating tree rats. I had
    a Bushnell scope on it but that springer tore it up pretty quick. I sent the scope back to Bushnell and explained what happened and since the scope was obsolete they replaced it
    with a very nice scope that would hold up to a springer. I also got a HW50 from Airguns of Arizona and it is a shooter too. It needs breaking in but it also needs a bit of trigger work.
    I put ab Athlon scope per recommendation from the AOA staff. Both these rifles shoot great and haven't had any trouble out of either. My brother saved me a bunch of grief and sent
    me a bunch of different pellets and was able to get where I need to quick.

A couple of months ago I took my grandson to the range and let him shoot both air rifles and he is hooked. (he is 7) I bought 2 of the Daisy M853 pneumatic air rifles from CMP . Those come with
    target sights and are real good shooters out to about 10 yards and my grandson loves to shoot those. I love the fact that you can shoot $3 or $4 worth of pellets and it don't break the bank.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a HW80 and a tuned Diana 34. But at 78 years old it I can't shoot either of them well off hand nor can I shoot very much with them. I have found a Benjamin Discovery fits my needs for hunting/targets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12