Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Electric Pot Cover

Boolit Master

Electric Pot Cover

Does anyone besides me use an inverted Factory made 1lb ingot mold as a pot cover for their Electric casting pot ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Nope. Just you.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Starting out, I thought I'd be clever and have a metal lid floating on the melt of my bottom pour. It'd be hinged to allow adding ingots and sprues, and, being in contact with the melt, would prevent oxidation. Great concept, I thought, but, not being a machinist, having zilch metal working, and no practical problem solving skills, I never got it to work the way I'd hoped. Too slow, too messy, and too awkward once the melt level got low. Next version on top of the pot was still too slow and clumsy for adding lead.

Now I have the aluminum base of the feeder pot over the opening of the casting pot, clamped to keep it solidly in place, with a 1" hole to let the stream from the feeder enter the caster, plus another opening for the PID probe. That's as much of a cover as I can manage.

Boolit Master
    I use a piece of aero glass insulation.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

I just cut a piece of coffee can to fit over the top. It has cutouts to clear the PID temp probe, and etc. Cheap/free, because I'm frugal.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Does anyone besides me use an inverted Factory made 1lb ingot mold as a pot cover for their Electric casting pot ?
    If you have a Lee 4-20 here's an option:

https://www.opennrg.com/product/lee-...t-upgrade-kit/

I don't have one so I can't give an opinion on it.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have used my 4-20's as they were factory made and have never had the urge to change what works great for me.

I preheat all my molds to full casting temp on an electric hot plate.......faster, easier.

Also use that same hot plate to preheat all my feed ingots to 10-15°F below liquidous temp of the casting alloy I am using. Saves tons of re-heating/recovery cycle time when casting.

Take that $80 shown on that website and invest in a GOOD quality electric hotplate.....preferably with a flat top. Or put an old saw blade on top of an open coil plate.

Happy casting!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by The Dar View Post

I have that setup. Works great.
    I still need to cut a hole for the PID. I think the lid holds in the heat and keeps the temperature more stable. I used a hot plate to keep my moulds warm. I slide my moulds, 4, 5, & 6 cavity, from left to right.

I used to use a folded piece of aluminum foil. I used it mostly during a cold start to speed up the heat.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

On initial heat up I put my mold across the top of the pot and cover with aluminum foil. That lets the pot heat faster and preheats the mold. After fluxing I put a handful of kitty litter on top of the melt to prevent oxidation and add my ingots and sprus through the litter as I cast. Litter acts as an insulator and keeps oxygen away from the melt.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

I also have that upgrade.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Looks nice but a bit pricey.......
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Grand Master

I didn’t pay $80 for my pot!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I didn’t pay $80 for my pot!
    I hear that. I paid $50 for a Lee 10 lb bottom tap, 6 molds w/ handles, 200 lbs of range lead ingots, a Lyman ingot mold, 3 squirt bottles of ALOX and a 3/4 full jar of some magic flux stuff and 245 pieces of 45 cal commercial cast 45-70 boolits.
    I customized my set up with a flat pot lid from the humane society thrift store.

Moderator Emeritus

I leave a layer of dross on top of the melt, and that gets sprinkled with saw dust to char.
    this not only insulates the molten metal, it keeps more oxidation from forming
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I've got one of these for my original Pro-Melt. I think it works well and easy to move about.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

with only minor shame I copied the aluminum cover previously mentioned. I cut it out of a left over piece of 1/32" rolled sheet steel from Lowes or somewhere. My pot has a thermocouple clamped to the underside of the pot, but I did cut a slot just beyond the lever assembly to allow lid removal without fiddling with the dip thermometer if/when I use one. The larger hole to the far right is to drop culled bullets through. However it is not quite large enough to allow sprues to pass through. I use a hemostat clamped to one of the tabs for handling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 63978087139__ED8B2618-778F-4FF3-9226-ED70F0F752DA.jpg  
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 1 1/8" thick vermiculite baffle board for a wood stove I was thinking of cutting and shaping a piece to sit just inside of a Pro 4-20. Would benefit be worth the trouble?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I hear that. I paid $50 for a Lee 10 lb bottom tap, 6 molds w/ handles, 200 lbs of range lead ingots, a Lyman ingot mold, 3 squirt bottles of ALOX and a 3/4 full jar of some magic flux stuff and 245 pieces of 45 cal commercial cast 45-70 boolits.
    I customized my set up with a flat pot lid from the humane society thrift store.