MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Help with my hp slugs

Boolit Buddy

Help with my hp slugs

In the morning I was making some .30 cal slugs for my condor, I built the press following the forums post, it works like a charm. I had to experiment a lot with dies, pins, punches, ejectors... but eventually got excelent results. Yesterday I changed the press arm for a longer heavier one. Today I started making my slugs far easier due to the longer arm, after a while I noticed the lead was flowing into the central hole of the die (where the ejector/hp rod rides). I was expecting a broken rod but it was intact. The resulting slugs have a cylindrical protusion insead of a hollow cavity. I tried different ejector shape, lenght same result...what can be wrong? besides the longer arm theres been no change on the press/dies/punches . IŽve made some 500 slugs without a problem (after initial experiences). I use pure lead, I made the dies and work OK, ejectors are made of spring steel or stainless steel. Any ideas?

Boolit Bub
    Back off your base punch or decrease your core weight. You are trying to fill your die with too much material for the cavity size.

If the lead can’t flow out your ejection pin hole, a cracked die may happen.

Boolit Buddy
    They are air rifle slugs, no jacket; anyway its a good idea, bleeding holes are working OK, but IŽll try raising the punch a little I believe that by increasing the lenght of the arm IŽm now applying a lot more pressure and lead is flowing faster. Thank you for sharing.
    More info, I use pure lead (very soft), they are air rifle 30 cal slugs, 40 - 75 gr and use pure lanolin as lubricant, very little of it.
    Can anyone provide me with ejector rod lenghts? all my toys are DIY, got some measurements from CorbinŽs page (diameters) but lenght is not provided, not sure if my ejector/hp rods are the problem, they were working fine but the change in pressure (due to longer arm) might be the issue

Boolit Man
    show us some pics please. slugs, dies, rods.

Boolit Buddy
    This is how my slugs used to be:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slugs def 3.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	283369

This is how they are now

Name:	slugs def 2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	283370

ejecting rods

Name:	slugs def 1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	283372

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

The clearance between your ejector punch and the hole in your forming die is too much.
    Hence the lead flowing between the two.

The ejector pin/rod should be no more than 0.001" - 0.0015" smaller than the hole in your die.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Buddy
    IŽll check them tomorrow, they might be worn or wrong since the begining. Thanks for your advice.

Boolit Man
    Maybe with the longer arm you are creating pressure faster and you are getting 'blow by' at the punch AND the bleed holes? Go slower or put the old arm back and see what happens.

Boolit Buddy
    IŽve been kind of busy... the idea of measuring the rod and the die hole, sound logic. I had the same idea about the arm... longer arm increased pressure, bleed holes not working properly....

Boolit Buddy
    jimrk It worked!!!! a shorter arm resolved the problem. I have my hp slugs back. Thanks everybody for your time and ideas, sizes were OK, fit is tight and within spec. An overpressure issue?

Boolit Man
    Good to hear. Might try a bigger bleed hole(s) to get the pressure to use the bleed hole(s) before blow by. Just a WAG on my part. Lead flows from pressure but it needs to heat up so it can flow. Might heat up at the punch before it does at the bleed hole.

Boolit Buddy
    A detailed investigation of my recent failure lead to the following: the Corbin press uses an 18" arm...mine is (was) 125 cm. How could I be so wrong? After a while I finally discovered that 18 inches are 45 cm, 45 inches are... 125 cm. I got a little confused with inches and cm...
    Bleed holes are 2 mm (+/-).078"....hope I did not mess that one to

Properly swaged HP bullets should look like this, without any bleed around the HP.

Name:	Swaging 013x.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	283620

RRR

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

Boolit Buddy
    They really look nice, I keep practicing, I dont have a lot of tooling and never got any instruction on machining, its all diy and learn it by yourself. Thats why I value your advice so much.

Boolit Buddy
    Rick do you make a taper on your HP pins?

Boolit Buddy
    Just noticed that changing the location of the hole for the spring pin in the punch the sinchronization changes and I get clean and deep hollow pointed slugs, even with the long arm. The hole is the red dot on the drawing (new location is about 28 mm from the bottom of the punch), the other circle is the retaining screw for the pin. I made the press based on the forum post...no instructions included and no previous experience so a lot of experimenting is a must.

Name:	punch3.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	283735

Boolit Man
    were you just using the set screw before with a deep hole so the punch could move deeper into the base?

Boolit Buddy
    Before all this I was only using (adjusting) the top punch. I had no idea the lower punch could be adjusted, I was trying to make a longer lower pin and started playing with the punch size (lenght) and hole location
    Last edited by kimoleto; 05-30-2021 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kimoleto View Post
    Rick do you make a taper on your HP pins?
    Yes, I do put some taper on my HP pins.

RRR

My Feedback!

Boolit Buddy
    On the way to my job (and back home), thereŽs a spring factory, they sell annealed steel wire in many gauges, IŽll visit them today and check for availability in order to experiment with pin profiles.