RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crayons for fluxing/reducing.

Boolit Buddy

Crayons for fluxing/reducing.

I usually use paraffin and powdered charcoal (or wood shavings), in combination to flux/reduce my bullet alloy when casting bullets.

I recently was given a fairly large quantity of crayons from one of my wife's/grandchild's abandoned projects with the instruction of: "...burn these.". I immediately thought of using them for fluxing my bullet alloy. The "kicker" is, that I do not need them inasmuch as I have just about a life time supply of boxed paraffin from one on my wife's other abandoned projects that I use for flux... so I am not hurting for fluxing components but I do not like to waste anything.

So my question is (only for those who have actually used crayons for fluxing bullet alloy), how well did it work or was there some negatives you observed?

Boolit Master

About a half a crayon works very well. It's just colored wax. I leave the paper on, it burns.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Why not donate them to your local church Sunday School? Most churches will be needing supplies now that the China Virus is getting under control and people are meeting again.

Much better use than a reducing agent in your melt.

Boolit Bub

I have used them and other than the color did not notice any difference from paraffin bars.

Boolit Master

Use them if they are broken or pieces , donate if they are in good shape , the question is do they work , and yes they do as so much waste material does when melting range scrap or lead scrap .

If you are making lube you can toss it in for color .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Why not donate them to your local church Sunday School? Most churches will be needing supplies now that the China Virus is getting under control and people are meeting again.

Much better use than a reducing agent in your melt.
    This is the type of "waste my time" posts I wished to avoid.

You have made the erroneous assumption that I have any desire to support religious=based institutions.
    Last edited by dahermit; 05-22-2021 at 05:20 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    Use them if they are broken or pieces , donate if they are in good shape , the question is do they work , and yes they do as so much waste material does when melting range scrap or lead scrap .

If you are making lube you can toss it in for color .
    Thanks. I will use them in my bullet alloy. As for bullet lube, my life is comming to its end (77 almost 78 years old), and have switched to powder coat over grease lubes and I stell have eight or so sticks of commercial NRA formula 50/50 lube so at my age (not that much time left), I do not see any reason to start making my own bullet lube.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dahermit View Post

You have made the erroneous assumption that I have any desire to support religious=based institutions.
    hmmm, at 77 almost 78 years old, you surely don't need advice from this 66 year old on how utilize your crayons.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Ha you make me feel young , I to powder coat all but the black powder cartridges , as I need the lube for fouling control .

I use old lube crayons old candles bacon and hamburger fat and of course any and all waste sawdust or slivers along with old motor oil , it all burns and adds heat and carbon and the oils and such make the lead seem to have less tension when stirring and pouring , Good Luck and keep on having fun .

Boolit Buddy

There’s buckets of broken crayons in every elementary school classroom for the taking this time of year. A handful will last a long time for most.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master

Just hide them from any Marines that happen by. They will eat them.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I well remember changing diapers and seeing what color crayons the kids had ate , my its modern style joe biden art in a wrapper .

Banned

I’ll pray for you.

That’s a lot of projected anger for a seasoned citizen. Ironically your remark reminded of one attributed to Voltaire on his death bed. The Cardinal administering the last rights asked him in due course “Do you renounce Satan and all the forces of evil?” To which Voltaire replied “Now is not the time to be making enemies . . . .”

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.

I am saddened that you are approaching 78 years young and feel that way about religious institutions. Most people, when approaching advancing years, feel the need to atone for themselves and try for a closer walk with the Lord. I sure do.

Not all religious institutions are perfect.....far from it......just like some people on here. But doing (and saying) kind things for others is beneficial to us all.

As said in classic literature," We are all but fellow travelers to the grave."

May the good Lord guide you thru your final years on this earth. I pray they are many................and abundantly fruitful.

banger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Just hide them from any Marines that happen by. They will eat them.
    I like the grape ones best.

You could have "avoided" it entirely by ignoring it. But you chose to comment....and your choice was to do so in just about the rudest way possible. Do what you wish with your colors.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master

Good grief! I'm stuck in the middle again! 66 vs 78! and I'm 72....I've made my own lube for years, but now I'm PCing the bullets. It is so much "cleaner". At least once it is done. No sticky bullets to handle when it gets hot. Crayons? I save them for my grandchildren.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    I well remember changing diapers and seeing what color crayons the kids had ate , my its modern style joe biden art in a wrapper .
    Bubble gum was interesting too...

I have discovered a member who does not want to be nice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I am saddened that you are approaching 78 years young and feel that way about religious institutions. Most people, when approaching advancing years, feel the need to atone for themselves and try for a closer walk with the Lord. I sure do.

Not all religious institutions are perfect.....far from it......just like some people on here. But doing (and saying) kind things for others is beneficial to us all.

As said in classic literature," We are all but fellow travelers to the grave."

May the good Lord guide you thru your final years on this earth. I pray they are many................and abundantly fruitful.

banger
    To amplify bangerjim: Churches are for sinners not for saints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast