Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: need a scout scope for ruger mini 14 ...need ideas.

Boolit Master

need a scout scope for ruger mini 14 ...need ideas.

hi,

i have this rifle...

and i want a scout scope on it.

required is that it has variable power , NOT a red dot and has a 9" eye relief.

and i'm poor and willing to pay 3 dollars for it......kidding....but i'd like it to be on the lower end of prices as this is a 50 yard plinker.

one more question ...can a pistol scope be used ?

I like my Vortex scout scope. It has plenty of eye relief and doesn't break the bank. Gp

I'm seeing an M1 Carbine here......?

DG

Boolit Buddy
    For a lower price point I would second the Vortex Scout 2-7 @ approx $150

That pic definitely shows an M1 carbine...
    Cargo

Boolit Buddy
    I have pistol scopes on both my scout setups. A Bushnell 2X on a 356Win 94 Big Bore for more than 20 yrs and a Weaver 2X on an 1894C for almost as long with no issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	283327

Boolit Master
    YES YOU ARE !...seeing a m-1 carbine ...but since it looks mostly like a ruger mini-14 ......and i didn't readily have a mini 14 picture....i thought i'd be given
    a little poetic slack here.

p.s. the mini 14 has the correct cover/rail on the top of the barrel to accept the ring bracket.

NEKVT i like the lever with the scope mount .....i have also a winchester 73 that will need a set up like that .....so what do you have there?

Boolit Master
    I use an old T/C pistol scope on my Garand, mounted over the barrel.

Now that's straightened out, I'll do my best for you. Perhaps you should take a look at the Ultimak website. Read it carefully, and the vintage of your rifle can make a difference in which mount to order. Their theory is that if the scope and mount are mounted to the barrel then the rifle will shoot where the scope is pointed. Not necessarily so for a receiver mounted scope if the barrel isn't properly bedded or has some other factor causing inaccuracy. I had one each Mini-14 (182-series) and a AMAC civilian M1 carbine that I tried a myriad of mounts and scopes on without success. The Ultimak mount got them on target, but neither is an MOA gun. As for a cheap scope, I've usually turned to CDNN for their offerings. All made in China. Some work for awhile, some keep on working, a few are duds from the start. You can always send it back and try another one. They have various features like mildot reticles, illuminated reticles, red and green dots, etc. Photo below shows one each Carbine and Mini-14 so equipped.

Name:	im004415.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	283332

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    YES YOU ARE !...seeing a m-1 carbine ...but since it looks mostly like a ruger mini-14 ......and i didn't readily have a mini 14 picture....i thought i'd be given
    a little poetic slack here.

p.s. the mini 14 has the correct cover/rail on the top of the barrel to accept the ring bracket.

NEKVT i like the lever with the scope mount .....i have also a winchester 73 that will need a set up like that .....so what do you have there?
    Both were drilled and tapped for a T/C Contender base using Weaver style rings. The 356Win Big Bore has a larger diameter, less tapered barrel than the std Win 94's and didn't require any adjustment but the 1894C needed a shim at the front to get the proper scope adjustment range so I used a section of 30-06 case tapered from the thicker web end to raise the base a bit without a gap.

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	283373
    Last edited by NEKVT; 05-23-2021 at 02:25 PM. Reason: add picture

If it is a 50 yard plinker then why not a simple Red Dot like a Bushnell TRS 25 <$80 and they work great. they weigh 3 oz so they don't kill the handling of the gun. I have one on my Mini 14 and it is NOT a 50 yard plinker, it is one of the most trusted Carbines and I shoot it out to 300 yards in 3 gun shoots alot. I just did a Front Sight Rifle course with it last week, and it ran great and the sight never moved. Been that way for several years now.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464203.jpg  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Leatherwood 2x7 scout with bdc reticle

Boolit Buddy
    I just got a Vortex 2-7x scout scope and put it on my Krag. I had been using a Simmons pistol scope 2x but it didn't work very well. Eye relief was too long and not enough X.

I Haven't had the Vortex to the range yet but from checking it out in the back yard it appears to be excellent, though at 7x it si a bit critical for the eye box. I got mine off Amazon for less than $170 delivered