Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 25/20 single shot

25/20 single shot

Anyone know where a guy could find a set of dies for a 25/20 single shot? Maybe some new brass too? I am going to put a WTB ad in only asking about retailers. Not 25/20WCF!
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Dies—CH-4D is the only one I know of for sure, off-hand. Redding might make them, too. You may have to wait a while for them, though.

Brass—Bertram is about all there is, although I read somewhere of some ammo company that loaded up the last of the Jamison/Captech cases and sold the ammo so made. Some of that might still be around.

There are a couple outfits (Rocky Mtn Cartridge Co and one other that I can’t remember) who sell turned cases.

Other than that, lucking out at a gun show is about it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just as a FYI, since this is the Hand Tools Forum on this site, I'll mention that the Lyman 310 tool dies in 25-20 SS and WCF can be used just about interchangeably since they neck size only. This is an old trick I learned from the elderly gentleman from whom I got a lot of my older stuff. I will admit that I haven't done it personally since I only have a 25-20 SS and the "proper" set of 310 dies for that caliber, but I consider his information solid. Of course you will need to find the #19 shell holder if you "convert" a WCF set, but they show up from time to time. They were used in the 30 carbine set, which isn't too hard to find.

If you get a set of these dies and need to full length resize some brass from time to time, the old Lyman push through sizer will work, and it sizes all the way down to the rim, something conventional FL sizers don't do. I think I may even have a spare one of those I could be persuaded to part with. This is one of the few instances where it might be cheaper to find and buy the antique stuff than that which is currently produced.

Brass is another matter. Nothing commonly out there these days serves as a good starting point unless you find some 22 R Lovell (good luck with that!) or 32 Ideal (also a tough find!) Best to watch the auction sites and gun shows and hope for the best. Twenty or so years ago I bought a grocery bag with about 200 factory 25-20 SS rounds from the old gentleman mentioned above, but I believe any excess I had of those is pretty much gone. I might be able to spare a couple of odd rounds just to get you started, but then you will be on your own.

Good hunting!
    Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    35isit, put an ad on the ASSRA For sale link ... https://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl.
    Regards
    John

There is a old time gunshop in Bismarck, ND off of century drive I believe. Lawman gun shop? He has either 25-20 SS cases or loaded ammo. Less than a box. Word of caution, don’t be surprised when he tells you what he wants for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    There is a old time gunshop in Bismarck, ND off of century drive I believe. Lawman gun shop? He has either 25-20 SS cases or loaded ammo. Less than a box. Word of caution, don’t be surprised when he tells you what he wants for it.
    An arm , a leg and a first born male child ... perhaps ?
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Just as a FYI, since this is the Hand Tools Forum on this site, I'll mention that the Lyman 310 tool dies in 25-20 SS and WCF can be used just about interchangeably since they neck size only.
    Green Frog
    This works. The first set of dies I had for a .30-05 Ackley Improved was a neck size only sizer made by shortening a .300 Win. Mag die.

Jim

Back in the '90s I worked out a method for making .25-20 Stevens, and ultimately .22-3000 Lovell, by brutally swaging down .223 brass. P/M me with your email addy and I'll send you the writeup. You'll need an hydraulic press and a lathe.

RCC can sell you lathe-turned .25-20. It's spendy, but it's OK if you don't work the necks too much sizing and expanding.

If you're handy with a lathe, you can make tools for everything but FL sizing that fit into the Lee "Universal Expander" (which it isn't) die body. Lots cheper than the C4HD dies. Here's a set I made for a friend who has a .28-30-120. (Try finding brass for that!) Key is the neck sizer button in the middle, sizes the necks just enough and no more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lee 2830 toolkit.jpg  
    Cognitive Dissident

Griffin & Howe brass for the .22-3000 R2 Lovell shows up on Gunbroker from time to time. Set up a search and keep watching. It's good quality (made by Winchester) but it'll have to be FL sized before opening the necks.
    Cognitive Dissident