Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: where to get pellets

Boolit Master

Murdoch's at Four Corners, (near bozeman) had some .17, 22, and red fire pellets today.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

What NSB said. Good folks to deal with.

Don't overlook Killough Shooting Sports in Winters TX . Good pricing and choices in .22lr and .177 projectiles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have 13 acres with no close neighbors so I never know what range I'm going to be shooting. I have decided to get the best shooting domed I can find and deal with a bit less accuracy at close range for a little better at distance. I found some Crossman domed and have three tins coming. Their HPs work pretty good so I'm hoping the domes will shoot a bit better,
    I bought .22 cal pellet moulds from NOE.
    L
    Easier to find soft lead than pellets.
    Cast your own pellets if you are a caster.

Boolit Master
    I have 13 acres with no close neighbors so I never know what range I'm going to be shooting. I have decided to get the best shooting domed I can find and deal with a bit less accuracy at close range for a little better at distance. I found some Crossman domed and have three tins coming. Their HPs work pretty good so I'm hoping the domes will shoot a bit better,
    L
    My posting was for rbuck31
    about his difficulty finding pellets.

Boolit Master
    I have been considering a mold from NOE for pellets but I'm concerned that it might not shoot well in my gun. I have now found several different brands and types of pellets but I never know for sure what will shoot well until I try them. I would hate to try several different molds to find one that works for me. I have several NOE molds and am very happy with them but pellet guns seem to be a lot more picky than firearms.
    I bought ten 500 rd tins of Daisy 22 cal pellets that are working good enough for now. Sooner or later I will find some benjamin domed but until then I'm good.

I have been considering a mold from NOE for pellets but I'm concerned that it might not shoot well in my gun. I have now found several different brands and types of pellets but I never know for sure what will shoot well until I try them. I would hate to try several different molds to find one that works for me. I have several NOE molds and am very happy with them but pellet guns seem to be a lot more picky than firearms.
    I bought ten 500 rd tins of Daisy 22 cal pellets that are working good enough for now. Sooner or later I will find some Benjamin domed but until then I'm good.
    The Daisy 15.27gr Hollowpoints shoot pretty darn accurately out of my Xisico Sentry 705-9K .22 PCP. They're made out of fairly soft lead and the massive HP cavity really puts the smack-down on ground squirrels and other pests. Have taken the dirt devils out to 70 yards with them.

https://www.daisy.com/product/daisy-...ets-500-count/

Boolit Grand Master

I would order a pellet sampler from Straightshooters.com. This allows you to decide which one your gun likes the best and then stock up on them.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Yep, that's the Daisy pellet I got and it does shoot well. Hope the availability of pellets (at a decent price) gets better before I run out of the Daisy. When I have to pay $20 plus shipping for 500 pellets, it becomes cheaper for me to use the 22lr that I am well stocked on at that price or less. The only real advantage of the pellet rifle is that it is very quiet with the suppressor.

I did find 1 tin of Crossman hp at Walmart for $6.50 a few days ago. Most of the pellets I have tried don't shoot as well and are 2 to 3 times that price.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have been getting pellets from Pyramid Air, load 4 cans and pay for 3. I usually get a dozen or more at a time.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    L
    My posting was for rbuck31
    about his difficulty finding pellets.
    A few weeks back I 3D printed my own .22 caliber pellet mold using the 13.4 grain Crossman Premier pellets as my model. It worked. I can now cast my own pellets if circumstances call for it. Fortunately I still have a crap-load of pellets from the last time I bought pellets at my local Walmart store.

Got plenty of lead on hand too.

HollowPoint

Moderator Emeritus

I bought ten 500 rd tins of Daisy 22 cal pellets that are working good enough for now. Sooner or later I will find some benjamin domed but until then I'm good.
    rbuck351 -- I had a similar thought (buy mould and cast my own pellets), and a friend lent me his mould to try. I melted plain-Jane fish sinkers as my alloy. A lot of work, trouble, et cetera -- for me to make about 100 usable (.22) pellets. Sad -- for me -- they didn't shoot worth a durn (sic). The realization then hit me that, to my eyes, it appears that all the pellets I have been buying and shooting are swaged -- not cast! Then, I also looked at my cheque-book, to "do the math" and -- to my calculations -- the fairly expensive H&N pellets I bought -- including shipping and tax -- had come at $0.036 each! That's like about twenty-seven shots for a dollar! Premium Air Arms pellets equate to $0.046 each -- ~22 shots for a dollar!
    I returned the mould; happy I didn't buy one; and -- to my way of thinking, to purchase pre-made swaged pellets which function well.... I've never since have given casting pellets a thought.
    "My way of lookin' at it!"
    geo

Boolit Master

I agree with George, to a point. When the SHTF the price of EVERYTHING will escalate and the supply chain will be broken for quite a time. My thought is to purchase a mold that will cast slugs of the proper dimension as to be usable and accurate in my gun(s). Of course that is for my 22 cal and up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    rbuck351 -- I had a similar thought (buy mould and cast my own pellets), and a friend lent me his mould to try. I melted plain-Jane fish sinkers as my alloy. A lot of work, trouble, et cetera -- for me to make about 100 usable (.22) pellets. Sad -- for me -- they didn't shoot worth a durn (sic). The realization then hit me that, to my eyes, it appears that all the pellets I have been buying and shooting are swaged -- not cast! Then, I also looked at my cheque-book, to "do the math" and -- to my calculations -- the fairly expensive H&N pellets I bought -- including shipping and tax -- had come at $0.036 each! That's like about twenty-seven shots for a dollar! Premium Air Arms pellets equate to $0.046 each -- ~22 shots for a dollar!
    I returned the mould; happy I didn't buy one; and -- to my way of thinking, to purchase pre-made swaged pellets which function well.... I've never since have given casting pellets a thought.
    "My way of lookin' at it!"
    geo
    I started a thread yesterday on casting .22 pellets to get some information. Like you, I looked at the cost of buying and wondered if it is worth it.

In my Daystate, Crosman pellets that cost $24/1000 consistently shoot sub 1" groups at 50 yards. The most accurate pellets (to date) have been Air Arms 16.0 gr that cost $36/1000 and shoot into .7". Pyramyd Air is running a promotion until the end of the year (Promo code PELLET15) that offers a 15% discount on orders above $100. I will likely purchase a bunch.

I have tested a lot of "good" quality pellets that do not shoot well in my rifles. That is my concern with buying a mold. I may get a perfect mold and make perfect pellets and still not match the accuracy of even the Crosman pellet!! It is not just the money wasted on the mold but the time to cast/inspect the darn things.

I have looked at swaging pellets. Corbin offers a Pro Swage Kit for $516 for air gun pellets, but I have no information on how it works and the accuracy of the pellets it produces. I assume it will run on my Rock Chucker. More investigating to do before I pull that trigger and I would want to test pellets from someone who uses it. At $24/1000, I can buy over 25k Crosman pellets for the cost of the kit and lead, and not have to cast. Does not look worth doing...but I am lazy.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I started a thread yesterday on casting .22 pellets to get some information. Like you, I looked at the cost of buying and wondered if it is worth it.

In my Daystate, Crosman pellets that cost $24/1000 consistently shoot sub 1" groups at 50 yards. The most accurate pellets (to date) have been Air Arms 16.0 gr that cost $36/1000 and shoot into .7". Pyramyd Air is running a promotion until the end of the year (Promo code PELLET15) that offers a 15% discount on orders above $100. I will likely purchase a bunch.

I have tested a lot of "good" quality pellets that do not shoot well in my rifles. That is my concern with buying a mold. I may get a perfect mold and make perfect pellets and still not match the accuracy of even the Crosman pellet!! It is not just the money wasted on the mold but the time to cast/inspect the darn things.

I have looked at swaging pellets. Corbin offers a Pro Swage Kit for $516 for air gun pellets, but I have no information on how it works and the accuracy of the pellets it produces. I assume it will run on my Rock Chucker. More investigating to do before I pull that trigger and I would want to test pellets from someone who uses it. At $24/1000, I can buy over 25k Crosman pellets for the cost of the kit and lead, and not have to cast. Does not look worth doing...but I am lazy.

dverna --Interestingly, two things : First, at $24/1000 that divvies down to less than two and one-half cents per shot -- 41 shots per dollar. I reckon that's probably what it runs me for the electricity to run my pot, a couple of fans, hot-plate mould warmer -- not to mention the lighting and the electric heater I often need...
    Secondly -- it is incredible for me to learn you, too, have best results from Accurate Arms 16 grain pellets! In both my "top shelf" (for my budget) air rifles -- an Accurate Arms S510 Regulated and a Benjamin SAM Marauder -- both in .22 -- THESE are THE BEST! i use them both for hunting and target!
    Hey -- I reckon I save more than enough casting for .30-30 Remington, .38/40, .38-55, .45/70, and a slew of other, the way I look at it, I can buy pellets and still be "miles ahead".
    You brought up another good point -- while my cast pellets looks pleased my eye -- perhaps they simply were not a good match for my rifles -- I only tried them in a bolt-action Marauder? (I was concerned re leading, perhaps, and/or other problems)
    And, thanks for the Pyramid discount info. I'll keep my eyes open for some JSB's I've been looking at which are out of stock, but due near month's end -- and may just order $100 worth.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    Geo,

I think JSB produces Air Arms pellets on molds designed and owned by Air Arms. FWIW, the JSB Exact Jumbo 15.89 gr pellets are a close second to the Air Arms 16.0 gr. in my Daystate Huntsman. If I had more of the JSB's I would send you some to try but I have less than 25 left out of the tin I bought to do my pellet trials.

Those JSB's were more accurate out of the DAR by .1" at 50 yards than the AA's. I think they should be a good one to try in your guns if your barrels like the AA's. One advantage of the JSB's is that my LGS has them.

Good luck and post your results. BTW, hope the semi-auto Marauder works out for you. It sounds like a fun gun.
    Don Verna

Like the others I've considered and decided against casting or swaging my own, What I am looking at is
    getting a sizing kit from NOE and see if pellets that don't shoot well will be better if sized correctly.

Boolit Master
    I might try round balls but $500+ for swaging or $125 for a mold that makes pellets that may or may not work is not in my plans. I found 5000 Daisy 22cal peiiets at about $16 per thousand that work fairly well and I have another 5 or 6 thousand Crosman and Gamo that work well enough.
    Right now I'm working on building my new 40x60 shop and won't have time to shoot much for a while anyway.

Walmart has Crossman Premier HollowPoints in .22 14.3 gr at 6.24 per 500.

I just ordered another 5k.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Walmart has Crossman Premier HollowPoints in .22 14.3 gr at 6.24 per 500.

I just ordered another 5k.
    Wow....I tried to order last night and it showed not available at my store. I need to figure out how to order on line and not from my local store. I will take 20 tins at that price!!!
    Don Verna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast