RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Working with lead sewer pipe

Boolit Master

Working with lead sewer pipe

I thought I would mention something here about health issues beyond the usual that we always hear about lead and fumes. Lead sewer pipe. There are all kinds of pathogens and diseases that can be present in any kind of sewage pipes. Granted, lead pipes have probably been out of service and sitting for long enough that it is not an issue BUT, You never know. A friend of mine came down with Hepatitis after melting down a bunch of old sewer pipe. He does not know if that is where it came from since he had to handle some nasty stuff in his usual line of work also but it is something to think about. As a maintenance man I was required to get all of the preventative shots due to having to work on toilets and systems so I never really thought too much about it. But seeing the subject come up several times mentioning old sewer pipes just got me thinking of my buddy. Basically just wear gloves and wash up good after handling it, keep your hands out of your mouth. All of the things you should normally do with lead anyway. And stay out of the smoke. It would also be good to try to keep the smoke away from neighbors. (Unless you hate your neighbors).

Boolit Buddy
    I deal with airborne lead dust in my work and play with lead for shooting/casting.

I usually recommend people wear a respirator. The silicone half mask types. Not the paper dust masks.

The common pink 100 filters are meant for particulates primarily. However they are infused with some carbon to deal with short term fume exposure.

And there vapor and fume specific cartridges that work for a head over the lead pot long term. I believe they are black and dark purple.

I just use the pink ones because the dross lead dust is a particulate and unless you keep the lead pot over 700-800 degrees your producing very little vapor fumes of lead burning. But burning lead fumes are more readily absorbed then particles.

[Also covid spreads on airborne water particles so the pink ones could filter out that too. But I don't walk around with a full respirator I'm not that terrified of it. the surgical/ dust masks only filter about 30% of respirated air by the wearer due to gaps]

I never though of getting human diseases like hepatitis or maybe even E. Coli from lead handling though

Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Hi Rick some good info to rember.

Banned

I doubt that you contracted hepatitis from melting lead pipe.

Boolit Master
    more from handling than melt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    more from handling than melt
    Exactly

Boolit Bub
    I have done a lot of work on bathroom renovations. I have seen lead sewer pipe in small sections. If I found lead in roof flashings I would not hesitate to melt it down....but there’s something about the poo lined fittings that makes me throw them straight in the skip bin Then immediately wash my hands well with soap. ....I don’t need cheap Bullets that bad. That’s sort of scraping the bottom of the barrel