Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw my first baby squirrel of the year

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    There are a few around here in eastern Washington but I have never shot one.
    Probably a good thing as our native squirrels are protected species.

Don't know about the Eastern Gray squirrels, but they are mostly in urban areas where hunting is a forgone conclusion.

Boolit Master
    This little guy started following me through the woods last month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails babysquirrl.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    This little guy started following me through the woods last month.
    Pretty cool. They really do seem to know if you are hunting them or not. If I sit in a tree stand deer hunting they will come close enough to touch sometimes, though I wouldn't do it. Curious little guys.

Banned

you made me think. LOTS of squirrels up here and I cant say ive ever even seen a baby. I guess partly because this time a year im doing more shooting then woods wandering. About cant go to camp because the ticks are so bad around there. But i wonder why ive never seen one by the house??

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    you made me think. LOTS of squirrels up here and I cant say ive ever even seen a baby. I guess partly because this time a year im doing more shooting then woods wandering. About cant go to camp because the ticks are so bad around there. But i wonder why ive never seen one by the house??
    For one thing, they don't seem to stay babies for long. By the time they are out of the nests, they grow and mature real fast and pretty soon it's hard to distinguish the ones born this year from older ones unless you're close and see them next to each other.

We don't have nearly as many rabbits this year as most, but normally we see a lot of them very regularly that come eat at the patio and enjoy watching them. Usually see quite afew babies, and they are the same way, you can almost watch them getting bigger as they're sitting there.

Banned

allways baby bunnys in the yard in the spring. Last lab made a sport of killing them. The one we have now doesnt seem interested he will chase them out of the yard the quits his attack.

Banned

allways baby bunnys in the yard in the spring. Last lab made a sport of killing them. The one we have now doesnt seem interested he will chase them out of the yard the quits his attack.
    I never really liked the way rabbits tasted and enjoy watching them, so until and unless they begin to cause a problem, I leave them alone. We do have a dog around now who does enjoy chasing them when he sees one, but he's so goofy and happy, I kinda of doubt he'd hurt one even if he managed to catch it. We did have an outdoor cat who came along and adopted us for a couple of years, big friendly guy, I tried to keep him real well fed so he wouldn't, but he killed a few anyway.

I really don't see them much in Winter, and I really wouldn't want to clean or eat one when it's warm outside, heard enough about how bad tuleramia is. I really couldn't see it being much of a challenge if I wanted rabbit for supper, though.

Banned

i like rabbit. I think its the tastiest small game to eat. That said i dont shoot them in the yard. I like seeing them there and my wife would probably shoot me. They get so used to people that i can walk right up to 4 feet away from them before they bolt. But the dog even makes a move from across the yard and here GONE. I threatened to shoot them this year though. They ate the heck out of my rhubarb when it first came up.

Boolit Master
    i like rabbit. I think its the tastiest small game to eat. That said i dont shoot them in the yard. I like seeing them there and my wife would probably shoot me. They get so used to people that i can walk right up to 4 feet away from them before they bolt. But the dog even makes a move from across the yard and here GONE. I threatened to shoot them this year though. They ate the heck out of my rhubarb when it first came up.
    I agree. My cousins and I used to hunt swamp rabbits down in the Black River bottoms in winter. This was close on 50 years ago, before farming practices pretty much made them extinct. Few things were better than fried swamp rabbit. They were much bigger, faster, and smarter than cotton tails. We jumped one 30 years ago on the other side of the river, and it went by our beagles like red lightning. They didn’t even try to chase it. I could almost see them shake their hands and go “the heck with that, ain’t no way”.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12