Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .358 Win "Scout rifle"?

.358 Win "Scout rifle"?

Just wondering what rifling twist ya'all would recommend for an 18" bbl in .358 Win. Wish to do something along the lines of Rugers scout rifle. If I can find a Ruger that folks didn't think was made of gold I will use it as the donor action. Boolit up for consideration would be Ranch Dogs 230grn fn. I am thinking 1 in 14". What say the gurus with more knowledge than I?
    It don't make much sense that commonsense don't make no sense nomore

If you died today would you have lived your life or have you simply existed

Boolit Master
    I'm no guru or expert but 1-14" sounds right, that's what my 35 whelen is and it shoots 200-250gr slugs real well.

Boolit Grand Master
    As a cast boolit shooter, I'd go 1-14 or 1-16. For general purpose I'd go 1-12. If I had me heart set on launching really heavy--250 and up grain--jacketed, I'd go 1-10. For your boolit, I'd say that the 1-14 twist would be as good as any and better than most.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

FWIW, ALL Ruger boltguns in .358W are made of gold !

I would respectfully suggest getting any less expensive common chambered short-action Ruger Model 77 and have the barrel re-bored to .358 & rifled to your druthers.

www.35caliber.com

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    My Savage 99 358 has a 1-12, Marlin 336 35 Rem 1-16, the Rem700 35 Whelen 1-16, I am rebarreling a Savage Lightweight 270 to 35 Whelen with a 1-14. Rumor/interent says 1-16 may not be enough for the 'long' 35 bullets - 250gr plus. The 1-16 does very well with the Speer 220 Flatnose at 2100fps and of course the 200/210 Flatnose cast from the 'standard' 358 flatnose mold from Lee/RCBS/NOE... I do shoot that 'standard' cast 200 flatnose in my 358 Savage 99 1-12 with good accuracy. I have not found a need/want for more than the 225 Partition for elk or moose so 1-14, maybe 1-16 would be my .35 cal choice, depending on how heavy/long a bullet you expect to shoot.

In my experience the RCBS 35-200-FN (and clones) is perfect for everything for which the 358 Winchester is suited.

The plan - re barreled to 358 win. I just thought a scout rifle as the base and simply re barreling so it starts with detachable mag. would be preferable to converting from hinged floor plate. I was thinking since this will be a dedicated cast shooter with 230-250grn slugs the 1-14 would be ideal. 4 groove? 6? I will be talking with a couple of local smiths about it. I am not adverse to running a Rem or Win action. The only things I want in stone are 18"bbl and detachable box mag of a readily available type. (Hoping .308 mags will work with little or no tweaking with larger dia boolit)

Except for the Scout scope mounting ( which you lose by rebarreling a Scout)- I think a Ruger American .243, 7mm-08, or .308 could be sent to JES( like Pietro said) to become the .358 Win. The barrel could be cut beforehand to 18".
    The .358 is such a good cartridge.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 18" wilson 358 win. in the AR-10 platform that shoots 250 gr powder coat NOE bullet it has the 1-14 twist ,and I have a Savage 110 with a 358 Shilen barrel that also has a 1-14 twist that I shoot 320 gr. paper patched bullets in both rifles will give 1 inch groups at 100 yards and are very hard on the Hog population

Boolit Buddy
    I have a model 70 with a 1-10 twist Douglas barrel, I’ve yet to shoot it as finding a set of dies for it has been un fruitful. I’ve read that rcbs is the way to go for re forming.

Boolit Grand Master

Any reason you want the Ruger? I'm a big Ruger fan myself, but I'm not impressed by their scout rifle at all. If cost was a concern, I think Mossberg did a much better job. I really liked the Savage model 10 scout, but now it seems they went instead for the model 110 scout, which appears to about a full pound heavier.

I'll vote for 1:14" or 1:15" twist rate.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Any reason you want the Ruger? I'm a big Ruger fan myself, but I'm not impressed by their scout rifle at all. If cost was a concern, I think Mossberg did a much better job. I really liked the Savage model 10 scout, but now it seems they went instead for the model 110 scout, which appears to about a full pound heavier.

I'll vote for 1:14" or 1:15" twist rate.
    I would be fine with any good strong action. The Ruger was mentioned as a possible "quick" rebarrel with the features I want already there.

Boolit Grand Master
    IIRC the "specified" twist for the .358 Win is supposed to be 1:12, which I think is a bit fast if you aren't planning on shooting 300+ grain projectiles. Remington went with 1:16 when they legitimized the Whelen, which I think is a bit slow (probably because that is what they use for the .35 Rem).

I built my Whelen on a 98 Mauser and used a 1:14 twist barrel. I have been totally satisfied with it; and if I knew then what I know now, it would have been a .358 Win.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've built .358 Win's with both 1-12 and 1-14. Both shoot well.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Man
    OP, Do you realize that with the scout rifle set up with the extended eye relief scope, the dim light situation is made MUCH worse?!

It was a real shock to me on my first Scout rifle, 8x57 German Mauser repurposed

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ackleyman View Post
    OP, Do you realize that with the scout rifle set up with the extended eye relief scope, the dim light situation is made MUCH worse?!

It was a real shock to me on my first Scout rifle, 8x57 German Mauser repurposed
    t certainly does cut down your field of view. I prefer aperture sights.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Maybe choose a donor rifle with a center feeding magazine. Less feeding problems with flat nosed boolits. And a Leupold VX3 i 1.5 × 5 scope would do everything a scout scope can do and more.

Boolit Mold
    My old Win 88 in 358 has1-12 twist and it handles everything from 200 to 300 gr. very well. Especially likes the Lyman 358009 280 gr.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    t certainly does cut down your field of view. I prefer aperture sights.
    The Scout Scope is, in theory, supposed to act as a optical corollary to an aperture sight. Quick acquisition at low magnification. With the added benefit of having increased magnification available.

Definitely a niche application since red dots came along.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

I am aware of the limitations of a "scout" platform. I am simply going through my "midlife crisis" I have been married to a VERY understanding wife for a few decades so the little red Corvette and blonde bimbo are out. My next project is to see if I can find someone willing to turn a Mosin into a 444 marlin cast shooter and make it feed and function properly. Picked one up "in a basket" a few years ago for $25 in a yard sale and haven't even taken it out of the "basket" yet. Thanks for the input folks! Don't get on here much due to schedule but always refreshing and informative!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast