Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blind kitten

Banned

Blind kitten

Well, richhodg66, champion of stray kitties everywhere struck again. Was driving home, past the city park and noticed a six week or so kitten wandering strangely aimlessly, so swung around and stopped, chased it down, got well bitten and clawed for my efforts before I could get her by the scruff of the neck. I drove to out vet who I'm sure was thrilled to get a problem at 5:00 on Friday, but he's a good man, been our vet for years and helped us with my favorite cat who's 14 now who we found in similar circumstances.

Bad nes is, her eye infections are a lot worse than our old guy's were, vet is sure she's bling in her right eye and either is or soon will b in the right. We have three indoor cats now, and where I live, a cat would have to be at 100% and strong and tough to make it outside. I know it's gonna be expensive, but I told them to take care of what she needs and board her for a while and I'd take care of the bill.

Can a cat who's blind have a decent quality of life if adopted out to someone and lived indoors? The vet is a good, kind man who is empathetic to all critters and I know this for a fact, but could tell in his voice he thought the practical and smart thing would probably be to put her down. Besides the eyes, I don't think there's anything that some rudimentary care won't take care of. I love cats, and just couldn't drive on past and not do something. Not real sure what to do next.

Moderator Emeritus

Tough arguing with the heart. Best of luck with whatever decision you make.
    Ron

Banned

this vet's office usually has two or three recuse cats that live in the office and have more or less free run of it. For many years, they had a Boxer who had been born with hind legs so twisted and mishapen that she really couldn't walk but got around OK and basically lived on a bad in the office and was happy with being doted on until she died at a normal age.

I only noticed one cat now, met me at the counter to investigate the kitten. If this little one heals up and is of the right personality type, that would be a perfect outcome for her. Once she's a little more out of the woods and has been there long enough to not had rabies (I did get bitten and clawed pretty good), I might foster her for a while but if she comes home, my wofe won't let her leave and we'll have another cat for the rest of her natural life.

Onr of my former students has a blind cat she rescued and she says he has no problems, learned the layout and does OK.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not sure what to tell you. I like kittens and puppies as much or more than the next guy, but there comes a time when you have to say enough is enough.

One thing I have come to realize living in the country, is that you can't get too attached to cats. Between the coyotes, coons, and idiots driving 50 mph on gravel, there will be turnover in the ranks.

I was returning my mower to the barn this afternoon and found one of the new litters of four. They are about four or five weeks old, eyes well opened, and I did manage to catch, pickup, pet and not get bitten by two of them.

This is being written by the guy that has carried his crippled MinPin/ Terrier cross outside two or three times a day for about the last seven years.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Robert

Banned

We currently do not have an outside cat. A strong and deadly tom cat adopted us a few years ago and was around for a couple of years, very friendly to people, death on four feet to anything else. We fed him well and took him to the vet for shots every year, but that was about it. If this one was 100%, I'd figure out a way for her to live outside reasonably safely, but of she's blind, she won't last a night I fear.

When we moved out in the sticks but still reasonably close to a town, I expected to have cast off dogs and cats all the time, but it hasn't happened. Besides that one tom, we occasionally get a cat come by, but usually not real friendly and I think they come from a farm just over the ridge a half mile away and then go back.

I hope this little girl makes it ok. I love cats and probably always will.

Boolit Master

My wife and I go to a cats only vet that permanently adopted a mommy cat that was successfully raising a litter of kittens on the street despite having an infection that ultimately claimed both of her eyes. The vet adopted out the kittens, but knowing that mommy was something really special, keeps her at the office to this day.

It takes a home that's understanding of the issue, but they can do well.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    First off, as I type this, I have (2) of my (4) cats on the desk beside me.
    One is a 17 yr old little old lady. All (4) were found on my property.

Next, I will pray that God will make the best decision. If that kitten is too sick to live, then a peaceful put down or maybe a natural passing will happen. But, if it's got the will power, & can be rescued, then I applaud you for your love & compassion for such a sick kitty.

I have heard of more than one cat (and some dogs) that were blind, and led full lives with the right home. I'd think you & your wife could provide that from what you've posted.

PLEASE keep us posted.

Banned

As some of you know we had to have our dog euthanized back in early October, and my wife said no more dogs. I can't have cats due to allergies. About two weeks ago we were watching TV and one of those 5 minute ASPCA commercials came on and she said, out of the blue, I guess we could get another dog. Being on disability I was hit hardest with our old dogs cancer and euthanizing. I wanted another dog so I was ready. We now have a new kid in our house. A 2 year old Pitbull, a big sweet baby, he's still learning but he learns pretty quickly. 2nd Pit I have owned and they were both sweet dogs, many people think they are mean but it's all in how they're raised and neither was mean at all, ever.
    I hope you can figure out what's best for the kitten and you, if the dog we found was blind and we fell in love with it, that would be the dog we brought home. They all need love.

Boolit Buddy
    I do understand that you would want to bring her home if medically well. But I believe a more or less totally blind cat would not make it a night. As an indoor cat with help I think she would do well. Good Luck!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Keep us all informed and I, for one, will be most happy to help with the vet bills. The CB crowd was very giving when we came across our Mittens.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Banned

Wife and I drove into town to visit her. Amazing what just 12 hours or so of having a safe place, some meds and decent food, plus some cuddling has done. When I left yesterday. I was kind of in doubt whether she'd make it through the night. She may still have some sight, my wife moved a finger left and right in front of her and she followed it. She's a cutie, but her eyes just look horrible, infection penetrated both corneas the vet said.

We even got a little "mew" from her. My wife said she felt a very faint purr, but I couldn't.

I'm gonna take care of her medical care til she's well, I'm blessed enough to be able to afford it and my conscience would not allow me to not do it. The problem is, we really can't take in another cat, and not sure how desireable to adopters she's going to be if special needs. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Bless you, Rich. When there are several animals in the house, sometimes the one that is blind will follow the others around.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Mother's day I had to put down one of my cats. She was the only one allowed outside and a few days earlier she got posioned somehow and the vet was unable to save her. So on mother's day in my arms after I calmed her down and with her having issues breathing I lost her, best thing I could do as she wasn't eating, kidneys shut down and she was having trouble just trying to breath. I cried for two days and then this weekend when I got my daughter I had to tell her and she went to pieces as that was her cat when she came to my place. Sorry for the long post just guess animals and me are better friends than most people I know.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A blind cat can do fine indoors. Just don't re-organize the furniture often, so kitty knows where everything is.

Great of you to take care of them, definitely

Boolit Master
    It’s a house cat for sure. I’d give it a good life.

Boolit Grand Master

Doing what's practical and smart ... breaks you heart .

Doing what's kind and loving get's you a place in a lost little kitten's heart .

Who needs practical and smart when you have a kitty who loves you .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    People used to drop strays in my yard all the time. I ended up paying all the medical bills and finding homes for them was something I was sometimes successful at, and sometimes not. I ended up with a few dogs and cats I never intended to have. I had one dog who went blind and he got along just fine. Once in a while he’d bump into something, but most of the time his nose seemed as good as his eyes. Being blind doesn’t seem to bother animals as much as it does people. They just “get on with life”. You’re a good man Rich, and God put that cat in front of you for a reason. Take it and see what happens. You never know where it will take you, but both you and the cat might be better for it. Good luck, I think this will work out for the best.

Boolit Master
    richhodg66,, I had a class to teach yesterday, and was too tired to get on the computer. But friday night, my sleep was disrupted by the thoughts of that kitten. And to read that there appears to be GOOD progress made me cry. GOD BLESS YOU!
    And here it is Sunday, and I'm wondering about it's progress.
    You mentioned how just 12 hours made a big difference. A mew, a little purr, all points to an animal that understands when love & help is being given. If it's able to survive, I'll bet good money it'll repay it's loving owner a million times over.

And if there is any doubt, just talk to bakerjw about Mittens.

Again, please keep us posted.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    richhodg66,, I had a class to teach yesterday, and was too tired to get on the computer. But friday night, my sleep was disrupted by the thoughts of that kitten. And to read that there appears to be GOOD progress made me cry. GOD BLESS YOU!
    And here it is Sunday, and I'm wondering about it's progress.
    You mentioned how just 12 hours made a big difference. A mew, a little purr, all points to an animal that understands when love & help is being given. If it's able to survive, I'll bet good money it'll repay it's loving owner a million times over.

And if there is any doubt, just talk to bakerjw about Mittens.

Again, please keep us posted.
    The vet's office is closed Sundays, and I have a bunch of stuff to do today, but I'll go check in on her tomorrow. If her progress continues, we'll probably take her in, it looks like we have a line on a family who'd like her, wife's boss is a good guy, and they are cat people. He's actually off site, but the company is about to move him here and they lost a cat not long ago, so this might work out great.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Hopefully, you'll be disabled someday and the people around you will be contemplating the same thing.
    Amen ! Kept as an inside pet it can live just as happy a life as a sighted cat . I'd keep it if I found it .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast