Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ruger LCP Journey

Boolit Buddy

Ruger LCP Journey

Gentlemen, I doubt anything I say here will be new, but here goes. Been wanting to try an LCP. I've owned a couple Keltek's. So I order one, go to pick up my Ruger LCP I from my FFL. I got the stainless slide model, I have seen a lot of rusted blued LCP's. First thing I notice is the extra serrations on the slide up front. Sweet. Mine also has an aluminum trigger (non-adjustable).

Last week I take it to the range to try out a few loads consisting of the Lee 105 SWC and Reddot. I fire 3 rounds. No eject. I manually eject empty case. Let slide slam forward. Pull trigger, bang. Failure to eject. I pull slide back to manually eject. NO Go. No eject. I pull slide again. Look at slide. No ejector, spring, or plunger. My ejector launched into space, I don't know about you guys, my range is in the desert. I looked for about 30 mins for missing parts. Big time failure. I call Ruger (on a Friday).....Closed.

So I have to wait all weekend to call Ruger Service dept. Monday rolls around, called Ruger reps. Nice as everyone says. Say parts are on the way. I figure I''ll be waiting a week or so for parts. I break down and buy a Lee DC mold (95 RF_380) off of EvilBay. Fifty Bucks shipped, Man they are Pricey. I only paid the price because no legitimate vendor has any in stock, no backorder. In the future I may pony-up for an Accurate 120 GR FN mold.

Ed Harris has written about sizing 380 cases with a carbide 38 SPL die for cast 380 loads. He also states that a carbide 38 SPL die with decapper removed can re-profile loaded 380 cases that are slightly bulged from 380 cast bullet seating. I can attest it WORKS!

So, Monday, 8 days later I had my parts from Ruger, 2 different bullets, Reddot powder to load seven different 380 loads with.

Today is Friday. Fun day at the range........... Many were promising. All rounds fired with the 95 FN were as cast. My molds throws them about ,3584" in my mix. Still have not found a load for the Ranch-Dog clone. 2.9 grs Reddot is promising though. Next time I'll try different Reddot loads and some Vectan AS.

Here are the results, 25' with the Lee 105 SWC. And a home-brewed pocket holster too.

Surprisingly as low as 2.0 Reddot functions in my gun. Anemic, empty cases sometimes falling in my shirt pocket. Just gonna show my best 5 shot load. Lee 105 SWC, AS Cast, and 2.5 grs Reddot.

I tried sized 358'' and "as Cast". "As Cast" most accurate in my pistol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	105 LEE_AC_2.5 RD.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	283285Click image for larger version. 

Name:	380 BULLETS.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	283286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lcpp.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	283288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holster.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	283290

Thanks for looking, Randy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 380 BULLETS.jpg   105 LEE_AC_2.5 RD.jpg  
    Last edited by sixgunner452; 05-21-2021 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Updated

Boolit Master

my lcp (zombie slayer edition with xtra 'regular' slide in place) LOVES the lee factory crimp die on my hand loads.

i flare the case pretty well to set the lee round nose 102 grain on top.
    the lee factory crimp die really smoothes out the case and have no problems cycling/ejecting etc.

good luck
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Buddy

WebMonkey, I have been unable to find a LFC 380 die. Sold out. Tried my 9MM FCD didn't do a thing. Most of my rounds easily chamber. All of the Lee 95 FN pass the plunk test. A few with thicker cases with the 105 SWC failed to plunk (probably because "as cast"). So I just used the "gutted" 38 SPL die to re-profile. Worked great. Needless to say I no longer feel the need for a Lee FCD. Think I'll just leave the de-capper out, and use my Universal decapper die to de-cap. Next outing I will be experimenting with Profiled VS non profiled 380 loads. Randy.

P.S, I'm a retired 63B. Never got my spurs, I did ride with the Blackhorse.
    Last edited by sixgunner452; 05-21-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Boolit Buddy

My LCP being new (made in NC) I thought I may have a few probs (chatter on the web). Well other than my break-away ejector (believe its fixed now; fired a hundred 2day), it is finely finished inside and out. I hand polished a couple spots, didn't really need it. Tango-Mike. Randy's out.

P.S. I bought an after market Meg-ar mag for LCP. It works great. Even holds slide open after last shot fired.
    Last edited by sixgunner452; 05-21-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    I had the LCP for a while and finally had it sold. Horrible trigger pull! Looking for an LCP II now. Hopefully it will be a significant improvement. Would advise staying away from the original LCP. Have used cast and jacketed in the LCP.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Buddy

Poygan, my LCP is a Gen II. I hear an improvement in trigger pull. Have no experience with a Gen I LCP. So far so good. Seems to like cast just fine. The trigger pull to me is very Glock-like. So far manageble. I just need to figure where to aim. Hits about 8" low, unless I raise the ft sight. Basically use base of sight as the top.

Boolit Master

I would suggest trying cfe pistol in 380acp. I have 5 380's and have tried most common and not so common powders in em and cfe gives the best velocity, accuracy and a mellow recoil pulse. Plus, it is usually available at my area gun stores.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Buddy

Sir, I will keep cfe pistol in mind, next time I see powder for sale that is. Thanks, Randy.

Boolit Buddy

Fellers, I thought my LCP journey was over. I guess it's just started. After my last (successful) outing firing about 100 different 380/Reddot loads, I thought I would try some Vectan AS 380 loads. I was about round 97, almost finished. I looked down, after loading another mag. The ejector looked kinda funny. I fired a round any way. No eject. I looked down, the ejector, spring, and plunger were missing. I glanced at my car roof/shooting bench and saw the plunger and spring laying there. Never found the ejector.

Now this is the second time I've needed a mesquite twig to eject a round from my LCP chamber.

I (again) called Ruger, who said new parts were enroute. Should I be looking for something here? I kinda checked last ejector ASSY before installing. I guess this time I'll look a little more carefully. The hole that the ejector sits in the slide looks OK. No burs, etc. I'm at a loss. Don't want to send new gun back to Ruger. Thanks, in advance, Randy.
    Last edited by sixgunner452; 06-04-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Yes, I watched a couple Utube vids explaining how to install the ejector. Randy.

Boolit Master

Hope they get you lined out.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek