Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measuring spring weight

Measuring spring weight

I was given a bag full of mainsprings for Rugers (SA's and DA's). Is there an easy way to measure the weights without uninstalling the old, installing the new (over and over again) and using a trigger pull gauge?
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Grand Master
    You could make a fixture to hold the spring and use a gauge or weight to measure spring pressure. I would include a strut to support the coil spring.

I'm sure there must be pictures of one on the web somewhere. The trick is finding it...

Robert

I'd leave the old one in if its working right, and not worry about changing it unless ya needed to.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'd leave the old one in if its working right, and not worry about changing it unless ya needed to.
    It's not that, I was given a bag full of springs and I want to figure out what the trigger pull on them are. Example, Wolff sells kits with 16#, 14#, and 12# trigger pull springs. How do they determine those weights? I know that if you know what metal it is, the diameter of the wire, the number of coils and the diameter of the coils there is probably a formula that tells you. I emailed Wolff but they never responded.

Also, the fact that they are compression springs (the hammer springs in a Security Six, et al) so I don't think you can just hang weights on one end - but I may be wrong.
    Ron
    NRA Benefactor

Here's one I made for 1911 springs. Takes all of 5 seconds to check one. May jog an idea for you?

It mounts to the primer arm slot on the old T mag press. Have a few accessories that utilizes this slot(priming is done with hand tools).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210521-210924_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	283297

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    It's not that, I was given a bag full of springs and I want to figure out what the trigger pull on them are. .
    Oh. That's a bit of a headscratcher with out some specifications from the maker.

You could get a tube to drop them in, and start stacking weights--- but;
    On those coil springs, there is preloaded compression length & tension when they are at rest in the gun,
    and then more is loaded up on them as the hammer travels.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    I've used spring pressure testers for years but they are two high a pressure for your need and would cost more then buying the spring you want. May be able to build one like above but would still take some work to be sensitive enough at lower pressure.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you are measuring spring RATE, not weight.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

I don’t see an easy conversion to trigger pull weight from the weight required to reach some standard compression length. For instance, the Wolff 14 pound rebound spring for S&W revolvers does not give a 14 pound trigger pull, either with or without a mainspring installed.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

There obviously isn't. And when it comes to calibrating trigger pulls, the operative parameter will be preload, not rate, in any case.
    Cognitive Dissident

You might could line up all the ones that look the same as far as length, wire size, number of coils.
    Then test the batches with a simple tester to be sure they are the same.

Then you'd only need to put one of each group in the gun and check it with a trigger pull scale.

EVERYONE!

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but you are measuring spring RATE, not weight.
    Correct, I just couldn't come up with the word. I am sure that Wolff, with it's resources, knows that x type of wire, of y diameter, coiled to z diameter with w # of coils with a certain complete length equals a cetain trigger pull in certain firearms.

I am 95% certain they are all OEM springs so the would probably test out at 16# trigger pull in the Six series revolvers. These were all taken out of guns over the years that were to be destroyed by a PD. The PD armorers were allowed to keep all the small parts because only the frame had to be destroyed. A guy I know was given these parts by a retired armorer from that PD and he sold me a massive number of Six series parts and these springs (at a very good price I may add - couldn't pass it up as I specialize in repairing/refurbishing these Rugers).

I'll probably, on a rainy day, take samples and test them in one of my Security Sixes and if they all test about the same , consider the bag of them that trigger pull weight. I have a tool that makes it easier to mount them on the mainspring strut so it's just taking the time to do it.

I do appreciate all the comments/hints/etc from all.
    Ron
    NRA Benefactor

Coil springs can be considered as a torsion bar, wound into a helix, if you can wrap your mind around the topology. The only factors which matter are the length of wire, it's diameter, and the modulus of elasticity of the metal.

Factors governing trigger letoff pressure have to include sear angles, sear depth of engagement, surface finish in the Hertzian (contact) zone, trigger spring resistance and probably half a dozen other things I'm forgetting. The engagement pressure on the sear from the hammer(striker) spring is only one factor.

Set up some sort of vertical rod onto which you can slip the spring to be measured for rate. Holding it a vise might to. Should be a foot long or thereabouts. Find or make a tubular weight that can be lowered onto the spring, heavy enough that it will compress the spring to about 1/4 of its' length, but without any coil bind if it progressively wound. Doesn't matter what the weight is, so long as you know it accurately. Measure the free length of the spring. Lower the weight onto the spring and measure how far the spring was compressed. The rest is simple arithmetic.

So very often I see it said that you can reduce a spring by shortening it. That can reduce the installed preload. Since you've reduced the length of wire in the spring, the rate actually goes up.
    Last edited by uscra112; 05-22-2021 at 12:40 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

The 1911 recoil spring and I ASSUME others no not follow mechanical engineering guidelines. The 1911 recoil spring is labeled as to the poundage that it takes to compress the spring to the minimal length in the firearm under recoil. This dimension in the 1911 is roughly 1 5/8". So the standard government 1911 spring takes 16 pounds of force to compress it to a length of 1 5/8". There is no preload or spring rate in the way gun springs are labeled.
    You could take all like springs and compress them to the same length and sort by heavy and light. You would need a way to measure force to seperate.

They may not specify by rate, but they can't evade physics.

You can calculate force required to compress to a specific length once you know the spring rate, determined as I described. Not rocket science.

The tubular weight provides a known force. Doesn't have to be more than a couple of pounds, so long as you know its' weight accurately. You don't have to compress to any specific length, so long as you can measure accurately.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-22-2021 at 04:07 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

The gauges we made for doing this used a scales. A bridge mount was made that fit over the scales and bolted to a plate. the height was about half the uncompressed spring length a hole bored thru it in the center of the cross bar just smaller than the spring od. a heavy weight from round stock was then turned up. the stem was a loose fit inside the spring and 1/2" short of scale pan. In use the spring was slid on the boss and inserted thru hole with the weight holding it to the height of the cross bar, Spring weight was then read on the scales.

That tester based on an electronic tension scale looks cheap enough and will work. Clever.

https://www.securefirearmproducts.co...lno=11490-SR-D
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    That tester based on an electronic tension scale looks cheap enough and will work. Clever.

https://www.securefirearmproducts.co...lno=11490-SR-D
    Not a bad idea, I can measure a compressed OEM mainspring to use to get the initial distance and then take that spring off the mainspring strut and see what the meter indicates. Then just swap springs and see what they measure.
    Ron
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    I have a spring tester. I haven't tried any Ruger Security series springs,, but you are welcome to try it in July,,,!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast