Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Browning Buckmark question

Browning Buckmark question

I have a Browning Buckmark that on occasion will fail to chamber properly on occasion. I discovered that the front and rear sight base screws had worked themselves loose. I removed the screws and cleaned it up with ed's red and put some blue threadlock on the screws.

No problems for a while, then it started acting up again. Screws had worked loose even with the blue threadlock. I think I'm gonna try red threadlock and see if that holds.

Any Buckmark shooters here that have had this experience? How did you solve?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-05-21 15-35-11.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	283277

Boolit Master

Browning Buckmark question

I have had this issue with my old buckmark but similarly, once I tightened everything down issue went away. I don’t use thread lock on mine just because I used to detail strip firearms fairly often when I was shooting a lot, especially my wife’s favorite gun, the buckmark. But don’t recall it being an issue after the once.

Might contact browning and see what they say.

Any chance the screw is not OEM. Could be slightly off on diameter?

Boolit Master
    I haven’t taken mine apart in a long time but if I remember those screws should have small star washers on them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't think I've ever actually shot a Buckmark. A lot of other Browning's, but not that one.

First thing I would do is clean the holes and screws with a non-residue, non-oily cleaner. Then go back with the blue Loctite.

Trying to get anything to stick to oily parts is a failure waiting to happen, as you found out.

Robert

Thread locker won't work very well on oiled screws.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

ah yes, you are correct. my ed's red has lanolin in it.

I will use Mk42gunner's idea, I believe it will fix my issue

Boolit Master
    At one time I owned three of them. All started out as silhouette models. Four of my shooting buddies had them also. They ALL did what you describe. Just tighten them down as needed. I’d avoid Red thread locker like the plague, it’s too hard to loosen up when you want to. Use some Blue if you must, but it isn’t like the screws get loose right away. FWIW, I shot two of those guns and kept one for a spare. I put over 300,000 rounds through them with only minor parts replacement the entire time I owned them. I ended up selling them and the new owners love them. They were the most accurate rimfire handguns I ever owned. I shot many, many perfect scores with them shooting silhouette. I ended up cutting the barrels down and used them for NSSF three gun matches and did very well with them there also. Keep the chamber clean and they’ll run forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    I haven’t taken mine apart in a long time but if I remember those screws should have small star washers on them.
    you are correct. have to be careful when removing screws so the screw-lock washers don't get lost. They are tiny, black, and weigh almost nothing.

Boolit Master

Mine started acting up when the recoil spring buffer disintegrated. There should be a small hard rubber square between the recoil guiderod and the frame lug.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    Mine started acting up when the recoil spring buffer disintegrated. There should be a small hard rubber square between the recoil guiderod and the frame lug.
    I can see that happening, I'll keep it in mind

Boolit Master

The fix for Buckmarks loose screws is remove lock washer and install a small rubber O ring from the auto parts store on the screw and tighten normaly

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post

I have a target model from 1990. Was bought new. The same thing happened last year when I inspected it. The action was also fudged up to the point I couldn’t pull the action back. A good cleaning and a new buffer took care of it. It now cycles flawlessly like it always did in the past.