Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIG JHP failed to fire

Question SIG JHP failed to fire

How often do you see FTF on factory ammo?

I have contacted SIG about it, and they gave the usual suggestions (which I am following)
    - attempt to fire from multiple guns (FNX45, HK45c -- no joy)
    - use variety of ammo in the gun that did not fire the dud originally (fired Federal, Speer, some hand loads, all good)
    - immediately notify SIG if any more duds are discovered in the lot (1k rounds purchased from Miwall ~ June 2020, kept in cool dry basement).
    - also requested my local gunsmith inspect the ammo and my firearms and everything is in spec.

I'm not using this for EDC anymore, i have a good supply of Federal HST so no worries there.

I'm used to rimfire misbehaving but I have never seen a dud factory round from a company like SIG. Then again, I'm not really that experienced with handguns so maybe I was a little naive in my expectations and just need to ensure my malfunction drills are up to snuff.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-05-18 14-17-20.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	283272

Name:	2021-05-18 14-18-11.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	283273

Boolit Master
    Yeah, that's weird. I use their 9mm for EDC, and I load a box to carry, then buy another box and shoot the old ones every few months. never had any issues at all with hem, high quality ammo as far as I've seen.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    They cant say thats a light strike!

Boolit Grand Master
    It happens. Fortunately not very often anymore

If the gun is reliable, I wouldn't carry that lot of ammo for serious social purposes if you have any other choice.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Everyone makes mistakes . Years ago in the Marines I had a failure to fire . I took the round home . Pulled the bullet , No flash hole in the case . I think it was someone on this site that said "until you pull the trigger , it's all an educated guess . " Ed

Boolit Master

Why we were taught FTF drills at every qualifying day at the range. Every factory ammo will have a FTF. Seen bad primers, backwards primers, no flash hole, powder.

Nothing is for sure and nothing should be. Tap, rack bang! No bang dump mag,rack rack rack, tap rack bang.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Why we were taught FTF drills at every qualifying day at the range. Every factory ammo will have a FTF. Seen bad primers, backwards primers, no flash hole, powder.

Nothing is for sure and nothing should be. Tap, rack bang! No bang dump mag,rack rack rack, tap rack bang.
    This right here. You never know for sure.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    This right here. You never know for sure.
    Unusual but it does happen.
    I think SIG, S&W, Browning etc. have their ammo made by others using brass & boxes with their logo.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Unusual but it does happen.
    I think SIG, S&W, Browning etc. have their ammo made by others using brass & boxes with their logo.
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/b...er-ammo-plant/

Sig has their own plant. Browning is made by Winchester,
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I Didn’t know that & stand corrected.

Boolit Buddy
    I can see how it would happen. I almost always hand prime and I had one out of maybe 60k that didn't have an anvil

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the old days 1960 to 1980 ... hardly ever . But in the last 10 years it's starting to show up more and more . Primers ...in the past always went bang .... shortages , increased production , running plants 24-7 with unskilled and hastily trained workers ... all of this is showing up in the products ...ammo that doesn't fire and primers that don't go bang !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Very carefully pulled the bullet from the case

Name:	2021-05-23 21-30-30.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	283387

I see the flash hole

Name:	2021-05-23 21-31-10.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	283388

6 grains of some kind of powder

Name:	2021-05-23 21-30-35.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	283389

even more carefully, I removed the primer. Inspecting this closely I see some black where maybe it tried to go off but did not ignite the yellow stuff in the back? I've no idea what primers are made of.

Name:	2021-05-23 21-39-21.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	283390

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Stick a new primer in and load it up and make it pop .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    reassembled with CCI primer and it worked fine

had another dud this week. took it apart and reassembled with a new primer (lost half a grain of powder due to my clumsiness) and it also worked just fine

SIG "customer service" seems to think my gun is at fault even tho i told them that i tried to fire it with HK45c and an FNX45, as well as a Glock my range officer had handy.

Glad this happened on the range and not in real life, no more SIG ammo for me.
    Last edited by PrestoColumbus; 06-09-2021 at 01:28 AM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master
    I’d ask them if you could send them the duds for inspection if you get any more. The lot number inside the flap they will want and maybe your sales receipt.
    I personally have not used this ammo but other manufacturers, in the past, were always interested in the failures.
    I wonder if any law enforcement use the same 45 cal. ammo or only use 9mm now.

Was that a small primer 45 case?

Mike

Striker fired gun? If so, make sure the spring is up to standard spec, and the striker is clean. Once the primer is hit lightly and does not fire, it may or may not fire when hit harder or a second time.

I used to run military surplus 9mm ammo quite a bit, my glocks would ruin the primer trying to ignite it with multiple attempts. My Browning HP ran it 100%, other hammer fired guns would run it 70% of the time on the first strike.
    Last edited by 1006; 06-09-2021 at 09:48 AM.

@myg30 - LPP case
    @1006 - hammer

Boolit Master

I believe you can actually order Sig ammo directly from them. I have a couple of boxes of it and no issues, but it's over a year old so made before the world went crazy.

I don't like their response. Seems more and more companies are getting anti-customer attitudes these days. I called S&W customer service about a new Performance Center Shield that had a weird hump on the barrel and was shooting 12" groups at 25 yards. The CS gal tried to argue with me that it was normal and within spec. I had to demand a supervisor. Took them two months to replace the barrel. Not a fan of S&W.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

ok well to be fair to Sig, they probably are having tons of newbies contacting them with all sorts of lunacy. I can imagine if I sat in that chair I would be suspicious of everything.

So after moaning and groaning about it, sending in photos, and this I think was the best advice....

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post

Sig is now convinced that there is a problem with the ammo and is offering to replace.

I wonder now tho, is it possible the ammo was fine when it left Sig, and through improper storage by some distributor or dealer the primers were damaged? They don't seem like the most stable things in the world and I reckon having ammo sit in a hot warehouse for days may have a negative effect.

So nice job Sig in taking me seriously. I just had to give them some good evidence and not just expect them to take my word for it.

Thanks all for the advice (good bad and ugly )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast