WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SPP for 45ACP

Boolit Man
    I will happily collect all the SPP .45ACP brass you want to throw out!

The LPP brass has worked well for me in this primer shortage, since I have a few thousand LPP primers that I can only load and shoot for one gun. My SPP primers have to be shared across a few calibers. But when the primer shortage is over, I will reload the .45ACP SPP brass in lots.

Boolit Master

It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Given that there are pistol and rifle, in both standard and magnum heat levels for small primer pockets, I have to wonder just what rounds actually NEED a large diameter cap anymore. The belted, African-sized rounds, and perhaps the more gonzo BPCR's, probably, but I'd guess little else.

I've acquired "vintage" .455 Webley and .303 rounds that all appear to be using something "other" than our standard pocket sizes. Change happens (I guess) and standardization is good (I suppose) but injecting it into the .45 ACP supply stream with a hundred years of pre-existence and common use was pretty dang rude.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

i smash every one i find and sell them as scrap..i don't use any small primers at all...

Boolit Master

I have both and load both. They just have to separated. I have read that bullseye shooters seem to prefer the SPP. I can't confirm this I now shoot small patterns instead of small groups.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Yep. For police ranges, it was pretty much all going to be 9mm, .40S&W, .38 Special, and hmmmmmmm. . .that one pesky large primer round. With any luck, Hell will put in an eighth level specifically for the guy that came up with the idea.
    All the 45 ACP SPP I have came from a police range.

Boolit Grand Master

I have to wonder if small pistol primers are not cheaper to make. I'm not sure if the theory of the lead free primers is true. I'm quite sure small primer 45 ACP has been around since before the new lead free primers came out. As a reloader, I can't see much difference. I've always thought a small primer would be more appropriate for 45 ACP. One of the issues with a strongly loaded LP 45 ACP, primer flow, or firing pin swiping, can be reduced or cured by a small primer. I might be in the minority, actually I'm sure I am, but I wish we would do away with large primers altogether for all but the largest of cases. Even 308 winchester, many have found a small primer works better. There's no reason a 41 and 44 magnum couldn't work great with a small primer, 454 Casull does.

As it is for reloaders, there is very little difference in price between a large and small pistol primers, so I simply buy what I need of each

Boolit Buddy
    I load the spp 45 brass for suppressor use, and am always looking for them.
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 05-22-2021 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Edited to comform with TOS #1.

Boolit Master

Only 45 brass I load is Federal. Have lots of LPP loaded and 6-8K ready to load. Also have 3-4K Fed 45 SPP ready to load but haven’t. I figured they’d come in handy if LPs got scarce. Now that all primers are scarce and I shoot 3 x more SP caliber rounds than LP, the 45 SPP brass I have won’t be getting loaded anytime soon.
    I’ve read powder ignition in 45acp with SPs is as good or better than LPs. Couldn’t say myself.
    From a cost standpoint, we pay the same $$ for either but the cup and anvil of a LP uses more metal than the same parts of a SP. not much less but multiply it by the billions of rounds (and primers) bought in the past year and the savings would be significant.
    Worse case they phase out LPPs, then all the LP brass we have will be useless.

Boolit Master
    I load both SP and LP in .45ACP. I have developed a habit of looking at the head stamp every time I put a case in my 550 just in case I missed one when sorting out the cases.

One interesting thing is when chrono graphing .45 ACP using WSPM and WLP primers the WSPM gives me a ES of 10 to 20 and the WLP gives me a ES of around 60 using the same powder and bullets, both loads have good accuracy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I have to wonder if small pistol primers are not cheaper to make. I'm not sure if the theory of the lead free primers is true. I'm quite sure small primer 45 ACP has been around since before the new lead free primers came out. As a reloader, I can't see much difference. I've always thought a small primer would be more appropriate for 45 ACP. One of the issues with a strongly loaded LP 45 ACP, primer flow, or firing pin swiping, can be reduced or cured by a small primer. I might be in the minority, actually I'm sure I am, but I wish we would do away with large primers altogether for all but the largest of cases. Even 308 winchester, many have found a small primer works better. There's no reason a 41 and 44 magnum couldn't work great with a small primer, 454 Casull does.

As it is for reloaders, there is very little difference in price between a large and small pistol primers, so I simply buy what I need of each
    The material costs would be SLIGHTLY less. Less brass and less priming compound. Of course you're talking about a few dollars on 100K of primers....maybe.
    NRA Benefactor.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by slam45 View Post
    i smash every one i find and sell them as scrap..i don't use any small primers at all...
    Stupid that you ruin things others could use. Bottom line, they work as well or better than LP brass. If you really are so easily offended by small pistol primers, give up any small ones you have on swapping and selling.

Boolit Master
    I have a few dozen too, set 'em aside to avoid confusion, BUT...

I found about 20 7.62X39 that take small primers (large primer pocket swage tool wouldn't go in),
    they're all RP brass. Is that strange? Maybe I just never saw any before.

Not so much brass AK brass lying around any more so I primed 'em.
    Will use a marker to help sorting I guess.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by a.squibload View Post
    I have a few dozen too, set 'em aside to avoid confusion, BUT...

I found about 20 7.62X39 that take small primers (large primer pocket swage tool wouldn't go in),
    they're all RP brass. Is that strange? Maybe I just never saw any before.

Not so much brass AK brass lying around any more so I primed 'em.
    Will use a marker to help sorting I guess.
    Ya just ruined my day. I have 500 pieces of mixed range brass in 7.62x39 that I need to load. Now I have to watch for small primer pockets.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Always glad to help!
    If you're gonna swage the primer pockets anyway just run 'em all, pretty easy to spot the small ones
    as it won't go in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12