Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What homemade tool are you using (pictures)

Boolit Buddy

What homemade tool are you using (pictures)

Thought it might be interesting to see some homemade tools that make reloading and casting easier.

This one is basic...but really works great. Took a piece of broken shovel handle and slipped (air stapled) on a section of automobile radiator hose, used my angle grinder to shape the handle.

I know it's a very basic tool...but the mold sprue plates aren't knicked even the slightest and the tools bulk moves the plates efficiently.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mallet.jpg  

Boolit Master

For starters, from sheet metal and 1/4 inch hardware cloth I bent and made trays for PC'ing 223 caliber boolits that work well (other dimensioned hardware cloth would work well with these trays too):

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I made these more than a few years back. First is a round ball swager for .45 cal. then a powder funnel and bullet pullers
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swager2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	283303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swager2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	283303
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails funnel1.jpg   pullers.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Lookin' good guys. I no longer have the tools/equipment to fabricate such nice tools pictured above (lathe, mill, etc.) so I'm envious!
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Lookin' good guys. I no longer have the tools/equipment to fabricate such nice tools pictured above (lathe, mill, etc.) so I'm envious!
    You can fix that, you know?

Bill

I made this and it works pretty well. Then I made 296 more and sold them all. #300 is coming this week!

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464191.jpg   IMG_0275.jpg  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I made this and it works pretty well. Then I made 296 more and sold them all. #300 is coming this week!

Randy
    Interesting, what is it?

Banned
    Tazza, that is Randy's hand reloading tool. He upgraded and improved some other, older designs to get all this tool can do, and it is capable. It will easily full length resize 308 brass. It is light weight, very portable and a joy to use, you should have one.

Ken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Tazza, that is Randy's hand reloading tool. He upgraded and improved some other, older designs to get all this tool can do, and it is capable. It will easily full length resize 308 brass. It is light weight, very portable and a joy to use, you should have one.

Ken
    I was thinking it was a hand loader, great job!

Boolit Grand Master
    Gas check seater;
    I took some bar stock and fashioned a standard shell holder base on one end to fit my Lee "C" press then and cut the bar stock to about an inch or so. Then I trued the end. I also
    trued the end of a 7/8 x 14 bolt and threaded it into the press. That allowed two parallel flat surfaces to address each other as the ram is moved up & down. With that set up, I can start my gas checks and tap the difficult ones into place very easily. The "C" press is installed next to my Lyman 450 and with very little practice, I can GC quickly as I size. My flat surfaces don't do Spitzer boolits, but I suppose I could if I turned a conical depression into another 7/8 x 14 bolt.
    I'm smart enough to barely run a lathe, but not smart enough to post a picture.

Made for a friend who has a .28-30-120 rifle. Expander on left, seater on right, neck sizer in the middle. All fit into the Lee "Universal Expander" (which it isn't) die body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lee 2830 toolkit.jpg  
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    i trim my cases with a lee trimmer in a drill but i found 45-70 brass tends to work its way out of the holder.so hand a brain wave found a plastic bottle top that was a snug fit on the shell holder drilled a hole in it to fit over the case now i put case in shell holder and slide cap over case and onto shell holder no more wobbling about and falling off even when cleaning with rag when spinning.

Attachment 283818

Attachment 283819

My first annealing setup, car power window motor with a 12 volt Radio Shack power supply. Used a couple sockets back to back (one fits the motor, one for the cartridge) and hinged to allow it to be tipped into a pot of water. Worked fine until I built a better one. Sits on the shelf now.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    WOW the combined brains on this site never cease to amaze me. Regards Stephen

Boolit Grand Master
    No pictures, haven't figured that out yet.

I have made several angle iron ingot molds; not pretty, but they work.

I also make customized powder dippers to fit what charge I want that Lee doesn't have in the sets. A trimmed case, a bit of wire soldered on for a handle and it is useable. If I'm feeling fancy, I'll put a piece of wood on the wire for a better handle.

Robert

It's sort of a homemade "hand tool" and I use it pretty regularly, so here's my induction brass annealer in action. I'll get around to putting it in a snazzy little enclosure one of those days I haven't got better things to work on.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    It's sort of a homemade "hand tool" and I use it pretty regularly, so here's my induction brass annealer in action. I'll get around to putting it in a snazzy little enclosure one of those days I haven't got better things to work on.

Nice job, did you need to water cool the coil? the ebay one i have gets quite warm, and fast. It was to be used to make an annealer,just hasn't happened yet.

Boolit Master
    You guys that understand electronics make me realise how dumb I is. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    You guys that understand electronics make me realise how dumb I is. Regards Stephen
    Not dumb at all, you're smart enough to not mess with something that can kill you if you did something wrong. I grew up building dick smith kits, they had great information on mains wiring, yet now that is a BIG no no, but still, i learnt early.

My father in-law refuses to touch anything to do with mains as he knows his limits as well.

Boolit Master

Electronics are a mystery to me too, but my dad had me help hooking up some house wiring when I was about 10 or 11. Did it hot.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast