Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to buy an RCBS Lube - a - Matic

Boolit Master

Going to buy an RCBS Lube - a - Matic

For my .44 caliber guns. All three take .431" boolits and have done great with pan lubed ones. Ordered the top punch and .431 die from Brownells and the press from Amazon. Feeding my Model 24, Super Blackhawk and Henry single shot will be easier now with less fooling around. I tumble lube my gas checked 30 cal boolits and powder coat my 9mm and 38's.

Boolit Buddy
    I started out with tumble lubing. It worked ok but was very messy. I've since transitioned to a Lyman 4500 w/Carnauba red. I wouldn't go back. I think that you will be pleased with your decision to move to a lube-sizer for pistol ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought mine over 10 yrs ago, RCBS Lube sizer . I will pass along a tip . I run my own cast bullets through the LEE push through sizing die first . I had a cast bullet get stuck in the lube sizer die , had to remove the sizing / lube die to get it out . I can see how people break the handles on the Lyman and the RCBS units . Get a stuck bullet and start yanking on the handles or even use a " cheater " pipe on the lube sizer handle . The LEE push through sizer has saved me from a real problem more than once . I highly recommend using them , then go to the lube / sizer . Yes , it is an extra step , but one well worth the little bit of extra time . Regards Paul

Have you tried powder coating your .44's? I have been doing this for some time now and works well. If you are worried about speed of bullet, I know a guy who powder coats for a rifle cast bullet shoot and has told me they work so well that the association they register their shoots with has been talking about banning them.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Sticking the first boolet (or two) of the batch may be due to lack of lube between the die body and the plunger. Just keep a couple of boolets that you have already sized and lubed around and run them through first making sure that you pressurize the die fully. This will get boolet lube between the body and the plunger. Once the sizer is working, start sizing the new boolets.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Have you tried powder coating your .44's? I have been doing this for some time now and works well. If you are worried about speed of bullet, I know a guy who powder coats for a rifle cast bullet shoot and has told me they work so well that the association they register their shoots with has been talking about banning them.
    I powder coat my 9mm and 38 boolits. And I have done that on my .44 boolits. Just like the idea of traditional lube on my .44 slugs is all. My pan lubed ones are shooting really well out of my three .44 guns with no leading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy4evr View Post
    I bought mine over 10 yrs ago, RCBS Lube sizer . I will pass along a tip . I run my own cast bullets through the LEE push through sizing die first . I had a cast bullet get stuck in the lube sizer die , had to remove the sizing / lube die to get it out . I can see how people break the handles on the Lyman and the RCBS units . Get a stuck bullet and start yanking on the handles or even use a " cheater " pipe on the lube sizer handle . The LEE push through sizer has saved me from a real problem more than once . I highly recommend using them , then go to the lube / sizer . Yes , it is an extra step , but one well worth the little bit of extra time . Regards Paul
    I will watch for that. I won't be sizing down even 0.001" and my alloy is soft so I doubt it will be an issue.

Boolit Master
    I've done tumble lubing, and I've done pan lubing. Gave up on both and bought the RCBS lubri-sizer and never looked back.

Be sure and clean it out before the first use. I had some kind of black grit in mine, maybe blasting media or something.

Boolit Master

Never had a bullet stick in any Lube-Sizer. Guess because My Dad always said to hand lube the 1st 3 bullets into the sizing die.
    And I've sized the #454190 down from .456 to .452 without a problem.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

ATTABOY !!!
    The best money I ever spent was for a Lyman 450 lube/sizer ... one cycle of the handle and out pops a lubed , sized boolit w/ gas check if needed and its ready to load .
    Tip ...Handgun Lube , soft lubes work better/best . Lithium - Beeswax is an excellant handgun bullet lube . ( For DIY the ratio is 1 part Lithium grease to 3 parts Beeswax)
    Very shortly I predict you will be picking up some dies and top punches for the 30 cal rifle , 9mm and 38 cal handguns ... it's just so neat , clean and easy to do .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Never had a bullet stick in any Lube-Sizer. Guess because My Dad always said to hand lube the 1st 3 bullets into the sizing die.
    And I've sized the #454190 down from .456 to .452 without a problem.
    I downloaded the instruction manual from RCBS and the say to hand lube the first boolits too.

Boolit Master
    Well, Brownells did not ship the sizing die though they showed it as in stock. So I will be searching for one......

I have run about 8,000 bullets through my LAM without any difficulties. Read the manual first is highly recommended, like with any new tool. I use LBT Soft Blue which works great.
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund

Boolit Master
    Got an Inline Fabrication top plate coming for it. Love that system.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy4evr View Post
    Are you lubing the bullets (tumble lube?) first before using the Lee sizing die?
    Are you sizing to the final spec. or something more?
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Master
    My Amazon order got canceled. Guess the vendor could not supply the item. Going to be pan lubing a while longer I guess.

I have two mounted on my bench. Take the ratchet handle out of the fork and apply the lube pressure by hand, per bullet. Use LBT hard stick, Blue or Red, heated with a hair dryer without a brush on it. The RCBS sizer luber will work with Lyman and RCBS sizing dies. Just need to adjust them differently, so you do not lube the crimp groove.

Speaking of which, get yourself a taper crimp or profile crimp die as a separate crimp, forget trimming pistol cases after the first time. Improve your accuracy quite a bit by getting rid of the roll crimp.

The weak point on the RCBS is the handle mount to the piston hinge, it will work harden then break eventually, after about 750,000 bullets, but that is where they fracture. RCBS will replace them, or the parts for life, without charge or any question.
    Last edited by Rapier; 05-27-2021 at 05:04 PM.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    You will be pleased with the RCBS. I have mine over 10 years and still going strong.

Boolit Master
    i started using a lube sizer but i just tumble lube now.i must be backward.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast