Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: SPP's In 300 Blk

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.

SPP's In 300 Blk

I've always advised against using SPP's in rifle rounds. I know the safety rule, AND why it's a rule. Now I have to ask the question. I have some 300 Blk loads that develop around 30,000 psi. Will this be too much pressure for SPP's. I really would like to use some of them, instead of my Magnum SRP's. I'm running low on them. Thanks.

I'm leaving this up for discussion. I could not make myself do it. I honestly believe it wouldn't be an issue, but I just can't do it.
    Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jimkim; 05-21-2021 at 06:06 AM.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

I load for a bolt gun in 300BLK, and use a 150 grain Berry Bullet designed for the 30-30. That is the only bullet I use.

I use SPPrimers for the sub sonic loads, which are probably about 30,000 PSI for the Trail Boss load, according to Hodgdon.

The following loads with the 150 grain bullet work well with a Federal SPP:

6.4 Trail Boss, 5.0 RedDot, 5.0 Clays and the 150 grain bullet @1000fps+/-

All of my supersonic loads with the 150 grain bullet have needed a rifle primer. I tried a mid power load of 8.5 HS-6 (1365fps) and had pierced primers with Remington SPPs. I dropped the the load to 8.0 HS-6 and the SPP survived, but I decided to simply run the SRP with 8.5 load.

So, roughly guessing, I use SRP’s or with anything over that 30,000psi reference point. I have not experimented with Magnum Pistol Primers, but I would use them for my loads if I was out of SRPs.

My preferred full power load has been 14.5 Alliant 2400 and a SRP. It is accurate, and pushes the Swaged Plated Berry Bullet as fast as it can go without flying apart (1839fps).

Boolit Buddy
    i use SPP for 140 gr subsonic, 4.2 unique
    in a bolt gun

Boolit Master
    Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted do!!

I have some older Sierra 30 cal 125gr handgun hunter, 125gr HP, 130 gr spitzers, and Hornady 100gr plinkers. Has anybody used those?

This is for an 16 inch AR. I got it for pigs, and maybe deer. Most of my 30-30 hunting rounds are loaded between 1600 and 1900 fps. Should I PC for the AR? I don't with my Marlin. Also have any of you used 32-20 loads in the 300 Blk?
    Last edited by jimkim; 05-22-2021 at 10:32 AM.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Buddy
    i use cast and PC , i do not know anything about using tradition lubed bullets in a auto.
    I do have some jacketed 125gr that i plan on using for loads in the 1800 FPS range , have not had time to shoot them yet. Alot of people use 125-135 to hunt with.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't have a .300 Blackout or Whisper, but here are my thoughts anyway:

The current SAAMI pressure limits for the .357 Magnum are around 36,000 PSI (don't quote me on that, I'm going from memory) and in the past it was considerably higher. 9mm and .40 S&W are also "high pressure" handgun rounds.

As such, I think the small pistol primer would be fine in a bolt action or single shot. I wouldn't want to use them in an AR type solely because of the floating firing pin. I have seen way to many 5.56mm rounds with fp marks on the primer after being chambered to take a chance on a softer primer cup.

Robert

Boolit Master

Have you been running magnum primers or are you just trying to avoid having to? Sorry I'm not quite picking up on it from your statement.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Have you been running magnum primers or are you just trying to avoid having to? Sorry I'm not quite picking up on it from your statement.
    I have used up my standard SRP's. I didn't want to use up my Magnum SRP's( only have 500). I wanted to conserve them, until things normalized.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk