MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last time you changed the cabin air filter in your vehicle?

Boolit Master

Last time you changed the cabin air filter in your vehicle?

Believe it or not, before a few months ago, I had never changed out the cabin air filter on a vehicle I owned. I was meticulous about the engine air filter, and oil filter, and tire rotations, but never even thought about the cabin air filter.

Then, when I had my 2 year old 4Runner serviced at the dealer, they mentioned that my cabin air filter was in pretty bad shape due to all of the off-road travel I do. I said I would change it.

So, ordered a filter and was astonished at how dirty the filter had become in less than two years...

Attachment 283254

Then, I was driving my "new" free car and turned on the AC. Hardly any air came out of the vents, and the smell of mice was detectable. I then realized that I should probably replace the cabin filter, so ordered one. It came in today and I went out to change it and was horrified at what I found.

The original filter from 2007, completely clogged and with a dead mouse in the housing.

I had been driving around a car for a month with a dead mouse on the filter that supplied the air I was breathing...

Attachment 283255

Attachment 283256

So, just wondering how many other folks were like me and never paid attention to the cabin filter before.

It's amazing how much better the car smells now and the air blows strong and fresh. I had some hospital-grade disinfectant cleaner spray and wiped down everything I could in the system.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    That's a seldom changed item!! My work trucks are on a 2 year rotation schedule. They get their in cab filter changed at 1 year. I ordered one a while back from the local Napa, he claimed he's never even heard of changing one!!
    Makes a huge difference if you work/ drive in dirty environments.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    We’ve got a Nissan Mariano about 2 years old. One day I went to town and noticed the fan vibrating, the faster I ran the fan the more it vibrated. Took to dealer as it was just about out of warranty. They said if they take it apart and there is a mouse in the fan they would have to charge me some serious money.

Took it back home and watched some u tubes on changing the filter, yep mouse had a death ride in the fan. Cleaned real good and returned to service. Lucky he was just starting to get ripe.

It was not an easy job, and you have to do it while standing on your head left handed, from the passenger floor board.

Boolit Master

The cabin air filter for my Jeep TJ consists of whichever nose hairs I don't manage to pluck. I've learned to shut down cabin air flow in dusty conditions. This is a big reason I don't do 'trail rides.'

I did replace that filter when I bought my 2007 Frontier, and also stocked spares. 2002 Tundra does not have one.
    Last edited by Nueces; 05-24-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    Also, a little word to the wise - pull that in cab filter and hit the intake and the filter with a shop vac followed by febreeze prior to trading!! It's amazing how the nose "sees" clean!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I didn't know there was such a thing until,I read a reference to it somewhere. I changed it on my wife’s 2013 Honda a year or so ago.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Thanks for prodding me with your story, OP - have had a new one sitting on my "project" table for a year - will change it out this weekend.

Boolit Master
    None of my cars have such a thing.

Banned

Every spring i change mine on the car. Most people don't know they have them. Stay away from AutoZone filters. You might as well run it without them. Almost as bad as anything fram makes

Boolit Buddy
    My Del Sol is too old to have a cabin/pollen filter. Our other two vehicles get them every 30k.

Mice seem to love to make nests on top of the cabin filter. I had one years ago that came in with a death odor. Mr Mouse chewed through the filter and fell into the blower fan. The driver must have cranked the blower to 11 because the centrifugal force pulled the mouse’s insides out and flung them onto the walls of the blower box. Poor little guy had a couple maggots in him by the time they brought it in. Not a fun day.

Boolit Master
    I wish my truck had one. It does not.

Seems that once a year we get the smell of death from one of our vehicles. The air filters are pricey and can be a pain to change but well worth the effort.

Chris

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the reminder. Been a few years.

Never need to change mine. All my vehicles have washable K&N filters. Same as with the engine air filters.

Boolit Grand Master

I did not know such a thing existed until it came up on the repair rotation on my '08 Honda Fit. New to me but needed.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    A couple of times a year.

Boolit Master
    Mice hate concentrated mint oil. Some dealerships treat the air plenum with that to help drive them off.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I wondered why the A/C was not working in my 5 year old (at the time) 2001 Silverado. Doing a Google search revealed that the truck MIGHT be equipped with a cabin air filter, but also might NOT. NOTHING in the owners manual about a cabin air filter. I found where it might be, removed an access panel, and there it was. Absolutely filthy and plugged solid. I do not drive off road, so there was no reason for it to be filthy. I removed that filthy thing and trashed it. I DID NOT replace it. The heat and A/C both functioned 100% better. In fact, BETTER than when the truck was brand new. That truck is now 20 years old. Never did replace that filter, and I do not miss it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Took to dealer as it was just about out of warranty. They said if they take it apart and there is a mouse in the fan they would have to charge me some serious money..
    Air filter and fan housing two years ago after we parked in long term lot at Orlando airport for a week. Picked up car & drove home, then I washed car. Next morning (Saturday) I was leaving to go to range. Car started but felt like it was running on 3 cylinders. Took it in to dealer Monday morning. A mouse had chewed through plastic cowl vent & nested in cabin fan, chewed up the wire harness too. One week & $2,500.00 later it was repaired. Mouse damage isn’t covered under warranty. I paid the comprehensive deductible and auto policy covered the rest. I’ve heard of it happening but never imagined it would happen to us. I think he must have taken up residence while car was at airport parked under a southern oak. Lots of broken acorn shells in / on cowl panel. Weird that the car ran fine the 110 miles from airport to our home. Dealer said mice eat wire insulation because it’s made with a soy product.

Moderator Emeritus

I change it in my 05 Toyota every spring (April), before the tree pollen season starts.
    the filter for the Toyota is easy to access and cheap, less than $10.

My previous vehicle was a 98 Buick Park Ave. The only air filter was a GM part...it's a 3 pc filter and was just under $40...and you had to stand on your head in the driver's side foot bay to replace it...and the slot to remove the filter was the same size as the filter, so if it was crudded up badly due to neglect, it was almost impossible to remove intact, meaning a wire coat hanger was needed to fish out the pieces ...it's a pain.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast