WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forming 6mm ARC brass from something else?

Boolit Bub

Forming 6mm ARC brass from something else?

I need 6mm Arc brass and have a couple hundred dollars of it backordered from December with no hope in sight. Something has to give.

I have a WTB in swapping and selling concerning 6mm ARC brass and a couple of kind folks mentioned forming it from something else over there. Rather than get spanked for asking these question in the WTB, I thought it best to start one here.

I do have some 7.62x39 brass, but probably not much else to start a forming process. In addition, I really wasn't wanting to form brass, but times are tough. I really don't have the experience (nor tools in some cases) to do a rather complex conversion and was hoping for a simple one. I did find articles on forming 6.5 Grendel which appears to be quick and simple, unfortunately it seems to be as scarce as 6mm ARC brass.

I figure I am going to learn a lot from this exercise (including history). As one member pm'ed me "Well, the 7.62x39 begat the 220 Russian, the 220 Russian begat the 6.5 Grendel, which begat the 6mm ARC" (thanks Corey!). He also pointed me to a site that has 220 Russian brass.

So, before I take off unprepared for the quest, if anyone has some ideas on the best (or available) approach to take to make 6mm Arc brass, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ed

Boolit Buddy
    Howdy! You may be able to form it from 220 Russian or 6.5 Grendel.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've not kept up on all the new cartridges and their dimensions, but what about the 6mm PPC as a donor? IIRC it was based on the .220 Russian, so maybe...

Unless you want to invest in forming dies, I would suggest starting with a small quantity of brass to test your conversion process. Also be prepared for a lot of failures and ruined cases in the learning process.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    I was afraid this might go further that I wanted to go.

I did read up on several internet articles since posting this and I really don't want to be buying forming dies or start annealing cases, blowing out shoulders and several other unpleasant things that I saw reported. I had rather be setting the new rifle up for long range shooting, but back to the no brass issue. I might just pick up my .338 Lapua again and continue with it for a while longer to scratch the itch (I still have components for it). Maybe the brass will finally be available by then.

Thanks!

Ed

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I've not kept up on all the new cartridges and their dimensions, but what about the 6mm PPC as a donor? IIRC it was based on the .220 Russian, so maybe...

Unless you want to invest in forming dies, I would suggest starting with a small quantity of brass to test your conversion process. Also be prepared for a lot of failures and ruined cases in the learning process.

Robert
    Thanks for this input sir! I'm still peeling this onion to see how painful this might be!

Ed

Boolit Master
    From what I just read on the 6mm arc it is a step backward from the 243 win. I would just load and use the 243 with the same bullet that is in the 6mm arc. also the 243 will work in the AR style of rifles if that is what you want.

Boolit Bub
    Definitely a good suggestion my friend! But, l already have the Arc in a AR-15, just no brass. I bought it before I realized brass was going to be a problem or I might have done something else for sure.

I did look at the .243 which goes into a AR-10 as we know, but wanted something in the smaller package. I probably would have went with the 6.5 Creedmoor if I had went with the AR-10 though. Then while considering that, I would have probably oscillated and bought a bolt action instead of an AR-10 to run the Creedmoor out of. Ha! And before long, I would have had something almost as expensive to own, shoot and carry as the .338 Lapua I have. This stuff is fun ... as long as we can get components and have that second job to feed it.

I appreciate the input!

Ed

Boolit Bub
    I'm in contact with SOFMatchstaff (he makes 6PPC form dies) and with his suggestions (and possible forming dies) entertaining a 7.62x39 to 6PPC to 6mm ARC forming project.

It does appear that some Hornady factory ammo is now becoming available and I ordered a box of Arc this morning to get my long range setup project started. However, 7.62x39 brass is cheap and plentiful ... 6mm Arc is neither, so if I can build my own without a stupid amount of money and effort, I'm going to check it out.

I'll probably bow out now, but if I do take on the forming project and make a product that is as accurate as the factory cases, I'll probably update this one or open another thread to let you folks know the outcome (and my opinion if I would ever do it again! Ha!).

I really do appreciate everyone's input and you folks take care out there.

Ed

Boolit Buddy

A little up-date/ correction, I Do Not make any forming dies( I wish I was that skilled) but I do have the 7.62x39 to 6mmPPC form die set and it does easily make a suitable case ready to finish size to either PPC or the 6mmARC. I set the form dies up in the RL450 and ran off some dummy cases out of Berdan junk and when properly set for sizing depth it made a primary case every time the handle was pulled. No annealing, just clean and lubed, three operations at once. It took about 30 min to set it up and tune the die limits and run off 2 dozen cases. I would think it wise to anneal before fire forming, or maybe before the first trip into the PPC or ARC size die, but as I dont have either die set(or gun) I cant say what the result would be at the shoulder set back. I'm sending the dummy samples to ED and He can do the fine tune for the fire form phase. The AR chamber might not like the fire forming stage, not like a bolt gun anyway. Have to wait and see what the final size results look like.

Boolit Bub
    Whoops! My bad. I thought you actually make the dies. Never the less, I bet you are a lot more skilled than I am. Ha! This probably will be interesting.

I appreciate the help!

Ed

Boolit Buddy
    I form my 6mm ARC from Lapua 6.5 Grendel. I trim them first, run through a 6mm ARC sizing die (without the de-capping stem), then run them through a 6mm ARC sizing die with the de-capping pin installed. I final trim and de-burr before I tumble. Using this system I don't need to neck turn for my McGowen 22" AR-15 barrel.

Bill

I heard the same from a guy yesterday. He just runs his 6.5 Grendel into a 6mm ARC size die, trims, deburrs, loads and shoots.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dougader View Post
    I heard the same from a guy yesterday. He just runs his 6.5 Grendel into a 6mm ARC size die, trims, deburrs, loads and shoots.
    Thanks! Sounds like the easiest way to go if I can find Grendel brass. It appears to be stored in the same boxes with the 6mm Arc right now though. The nowhere to be found box. Maybe Starline will put it back on the backorder status soon.

Appreciate it! Options are good!

Ed

Boolit Buddy

chinewalk, a care package is on the way, use the Berdans to experiment with and the Federals to try some fireforming once the dies are adjusted using the Berdans. enjoy.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks again! I do appreciate all of your effort!

Ed
    Last edited by chinewalk; 06-01-2021 at 07:32 PM.

@chinewalk
    @SOFMatchstaff

Any updates on forming 7.62x39 to 6mm ARC? Thank you!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoor4570 View Post
    From what I just read on the 6mm arc it is a step backward from the 243 win. I would just load and use the 243 with the same bullet that is in the 6mm arc. also the 243 will work in the AR style of rifles if that is what you want.
    243 Winchester will not fit in an AR; it's way too long.

I had a 6mm Fat Rat and I regularly made the brass from 6.5 Grendel, so that certainly can happen. People talk about making it from 7.62x39 or 220 Russian or similar, but those are a greater difference.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    @chinewalk
    @SOFMatchstaff

Any updates on forming 7.62x39 to 6mm ARC? Thank you!
    Not really. I don't really want to add another step in here just to get something that will fit into my 6MM ARC but has all kinds of consistency differences that will shoot like crap at long ranges. I haven't had much luck in getting 7.62x39 sized into 6MM ARC consistently enough that even makes me feel comfortable with spending the time, powder, bullets and those accursed high dollar primers to try reformed brass over 100 yards. If I was just trying to get something formed for 50 yard blammer loads, I might look at it closer, but I usually don't do blammer type shooting. At this point, I'm losing hope and spending more time with my .338 Lapua as I have cases, bullets, primers and powder for it.

Note, that I don't normally get into reforming brass so I am not a master at it and others might have a lot better experience and advice. But again, with the stupidity of primer and powder prices at the moment, I'm really not wanting to experiment.

I must say that I am disappointed in the availability of 6MM ARC brass from at least Hornady as they built this round and hyped it. Mine is a AR-15 .75 MOA shooter with LeverEvolution and Berger 105 target bullets. But, I'm considering dumping it because as of today, to get brass I have to buy high dollar Hornady factory loads that so far have not really shot well in it or as this thread has demonstrated, form your own which what little I have tried also does not shoot well after all the effort.

As a side note, I have a 6MM ARC Hornady brass order that has been on backorder for over one year and five months so far and Hornady says they have no clue when it will ever become available.

The future does not seem to look too bright.

Take care out there.

Ed

Boolit Grand Master
    See if you can get a cheap set of Lee dies for the 6.5 grendel. Form the x39 brass to 6.5 grendel and then run that case thru the ARC die. I go this way to make 6 grendel (243 lbc) and use 6mm ppc dies to load the 6mm grendel. I did find some 6.5 grendel brass a few weeks ago, but it was $1 each. I have plenty of x39 so I go that route.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockrat78 View Post
    See if you can get a cheap set of Lee dies for the 6.5 grendel. Form the x39 brass to 6.5 grendel and then run that case thru the ARC die. I go this way to make 6 grendel (243 lbc) and use 6mm ppc dies to load the 6mm grendel. I did find some 6.5 grendel brass a few weeks ago, but it was $1 each. I have plenty of x39 so I go that route.
    Yeah, Grendel brass is as hard to find as ARC. I might try this as I am setting up a buddy's Grendel and have his RCBS dies. He wound up having to buy Lapua brass for his Grendel ... but it was there.

I appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast