RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought a long-sought caliber today - 9.3x62. Wanted one for years.

Boolit Buddy
    P.S. 444ttd: I didn’t know that there was a cock-on-close mod...Can ANY Mauser be made to cock on close? I have handled one rifle like that (I don’t remember what it was), and I liked it. It seems like it would be a good mod for a fast followup shot if a person practiced with it a bit.

8mmFan

My 9.3x62 likes Varget under the NOE 9.3 cast bullet.

Usually a cock on closing Mauser(91,93,94,96 models) gets converted to cock on opening for faster lock time.(I think)- I've never heard of a cock on opening rifle being converted to cock on closing.
    The Lee Enfield is probably the fastest bolt action military rifle of all time- and they are COC.
    COC is a personal like or dislike- I've never had a problem with it. Lee Enfield, P14 Enfield/US1917, pre 98 Mausers, and Arisakas are all COC.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The X62 is very highly regarded in Africa, at least in Zimbabwe and RSA where I have hunted. The Boers in RSA used them for decades on everything from Impala to Cape Buffalo. It is even approved for the game requiring a .375 due to its killing power. My current one is a VZ24 in a mannlicher carbine stock with a 20" barrel. The NOE boolit is a great one.

Rich

Boolit Grand Master
    Enjoy your dream rifle. Life is short.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by 8mmFan View Post
    I have handled the Husqvarna 9.3x57’s at Cabela’s. It was a few years ago. I remember thinking, “these things handle and point like a beautifully balanced double shotgun.” Foolishly maybe, I passed on the 9.3x57’s, thinking (evidently mistakenly) that they were too underpowered for any hunting that I might ever do.

One thing I’ve noticed about the old Husqvarna’s in the higher-pressure calibers is that they seem to commonly have a crack in the stock behind the tang.

8mmFan
    Your x62 is a much more versatile round than the x57, which does pretty well on power but can run out of range pretty quickly. The range issue is bigger with jacketed, all being designed for the velocity of the bigger 9.3s. A pithy way to some up the 9.3x57 is that it is to moose as the 30-30 is to deer. The 9.3x62 is a round with just enough more that it can and has hunted anything, anywhere.

The tang crack is, it seems, the price of the great handling, trim lines, and light weight of Husqy rifles. It is not even limited to the higher powered ones, since those sweet little 30-30s they made way back when do it too.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Taking delivery on a CZ550 in 9.3x62 on Friday. Complete pkg including Leupold 1.25-4 VX-R fire dot, WARNE mounts, a BUNCH of brass, bullets and Redding Dies.
    Hope my Son in Law likes it…..
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Buddy
    NICE! Sounds like you’re a heck of a Father-in-Law! Good luck with it...I hope he likes it, too.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Enjoy your “potatiskastaren” as it’s called in Swedish. It means spud gun. Heavy slow boolit, but effective.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Enjoy your “potatiskastaren” as it’s called in Swedish. It means spud gun. Heavy slow boolit, but effective.
    That sounds appropriate. The only load I’ve found so far for the bullets I have comes from Hodgdon: a 285 lb j-bullet going about 2,050 fps. That does sound like a potato.

8mmFan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12