Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lead vs Berry's Bullets

Lead vs Berry's Bullets

When determining powder load:

Are Berry Plated Bullets treated as Lead?
    or
    Are they treated as Jacketed?

I cut one in half and the plating is really thin and soft.

Thanks
    Marty

Boolit Grand Master

Where can I find load data for your bullets?
    Load data from any load manual or website can be used. Full-metal jacketed, lead bullet, or plated bullet load data can be used as long as the following standards are adhered to:

The data contains the correct grain weight of bullet.
    Berry's max recommended velocity is not exceeded. (This info is displayed on bullet boxes and product webpages.)
    Standard Plate Bullets Max Velocity: 1,250 fps.
    Thick-Plate Bullets (TP) Max Velocity: 1,500 fps.
    Do not over-crimp the bullet. Crimping so tight that bullet deformation occurs, or plating is separated causing visible exposure of the lead core will cause tumbling, key-holing, and reduced accuracy.
    Load data containing bullet descriptions such as Plated (P,) Berry's Bullet (BERB,) Total Metal Jacket (TMJ,) Copper Plated (CP,) or CPJ (Copper Plated Jacket,) refers to plated bullet data.

Cartridge Overall Lengths (COL) are found in the load data being used. DO NOT EXCEED SAAMI MAX COL SPECS.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

They suggest using data for cast bullets. Only Berry's I've used were 9mm and that data isn't much different than
    jacketed. Worked well. What caliber and what will you be shooting them from?

Quote Originally Posted by martyd View Post

or

Thanks
    Marty
    I treat lead as jacketed in handguns. I also treat cast as jacketed bullets, in rifles with appropriate twist rates.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

More and more load data is coming out for plated bullets, esp in the Western Powders guidelines. Absent plated bullet data, cast bullet data is safe, or use mid-range jacketed data as a max. They should not be treated as plug-and-play for jacketed data.

As a practical matter, they run kind of as a 'tweener between cast and jacketed. In my experience, the harder they are pushed, the worse they group. Coated cast group better for me across a number of calibers.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 05-19-2021 at 10:14 PM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

I got some bloopers with a very light load in 38 Special, that were OK with the same shape and weight in lead, so I think they are a little different than lead, but closer to lead than most jacketed bullets.
    Last edited by HangFireW8; 05-19-2021 at 10:12 PM.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Great information!
    Thank all of you for responding, it has helped me a lot.
    Marty

For what it’s worth I ordered 1000 Berry’s bullets last week. .429 240gr flat point. I don’t know if they still offer both a thin and thick plating but the box says 1850 fps max. That’s about 500 fps faster than I’ll ever push them.

The only plated bullets I’ve used in the past were Rainier, Xtreme, and PowerBond’s from TJ Conevera. I’ve used them in .38 super 124gr, .40 S&W 155gr, and .45acp 230gr I always just used starting data for a comparable jacketed bullet and never had any issues. I’ve also never had any issues with plated bullets in polygonal rifled barrels, I put several thousand of them through a Glock 35.

I did try powder coated in my Desert Eagle and had very minor leading, I think the bullets may have been a bit undersized so I just bought the Berry’s bullets instead.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by martyd View Post

or

Thanks
    Marty
    I have always used the data for cast or swaged lead boolits when loading plated or coated .
    Plated boolits are still softer than metal jacketed .
    I notice Accurate Arms ( Western Powders) has Load Data specifically for some Berry's Bullets ... so that makes loading much easier ... but if nothing specific is listed ... treat them as cast lead .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post

As a practical matter, they run kind of as a 'tweener between cast and jacketed. In my experience, the harder they are pushed, the worse they group.
    This has been my experience. I've found the plating to be pretty soft and if pushed hard to the top of Barry's max velocity accuracy falls off and fouls the barrel. I've found this to be true with 9mm Luger, 44 mag, 45 ACP and 357/38 special.

Start with close to max lead loads and work up until accuracy is optimal without fouling.

I shoot Berry's 148 gr. plated HBWCs in my 38 revolvers. I like them for plinking target loads. I keep them loaded with mid range cast data, and they shoot really well. I've never pushed them to max loads, and don't see the point really.
    What could possibly go wrong?

Boolit Master
    Berry's suggests mid level jacket data. That's what I have used and never had any problems.

My experience is based on running loads over the chrono. No, lead, plated & jacketed do NOT load the same.
    PLated seem to fall between a lead bullet & jacketed. It makes sense, plated are soft lead cores with a thin gilding metal coating. So they are more malleable than jacketed but a bit more friction than lead.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    There's a lot of load info for berrys out there now.