Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is your experience with small digital scales?

Boolit Buddy
    Regarding digital variance, I did forget to add one thing I discovered: If you have an electronic wrist watch -- and who doesn't -- take it off! Sounds crazy, but I noticed my scale is sensitive to my fitness watch.

Boolit Master
    It's the radio waves from Bluetooth/wireless that cause the problem. A plain electronic watch that isn't connected to anything else shouldn't cause a problem. Also, don't put your phone on the table while you weigh charges.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    In another life I used to be an industrial scale technician, and the best thing I can say is that there's no such thing as a free lunch. Each scale type has its good points and bad points. Which is why mechanical, electronic, and mixed types are still being sold for the particular application they are best suited for. I work in a lab and have mechanical scales and electronic scales of all ranges. When I need extreme precision, the yearly calibrated Mettler balances with sliding covers that take a minute to settle in the microgram range are sweet, but I sure can't afford one of those. For shipping purposes, accuracy to the pound is just fine, so out comes the roll around beam scale with no calibration sticker. Like anything, when we ask what's the best thing, our first response should be "what for?"

When I reload, I prefer the cheap digital jeweler's balances that will read an extra digit, like 4.35 grains instead of 4.4. I like the extra digit of precision that lets me know that my dispenser is drifting. That said, most folks aren't aware that sensitive electronic scales are subject to external influences. Air breezes. Temperature changes. Static electricity on the bench, you, and in the powder. Loose grains getting into the mechanism. Not understanding these influences makes us blame the scale, when it's not the scale's fault at all. This and the human nature to look at every single digit and not know that a 4.35 grains on a two digit scale is exactly the same as a 4.4 display on a single digit scale. You just don't see it. Can a mechanical read 4.35 grains? Sure; can you afford it and are you willing to wait for it to settle?

All that said, everyone has their own reasons for what they like. I don't see one type as superior over the other in general; they have their own strengths. Knowing the differences and understanding which best suits your own needs is the most important part of the selection process.

Boolit Man
    This thread pretty much confirms that not everybody likes digital scales or trusts them. If you go back to my original post there is an image of my trusted RCBS 304 dial-it beam scale made by Ohaus. Trust me these are as good as it gets for us loaders. RCBS dropped them when the market swerved to digital. My point is, we as end users have a lot of horsepower with honest firms like RCBS. This company listens and has always stood behind their products and science. If there was a demand for high quality dial beam scales they would come back and I guarantee satisfaction would follow.

Boolit Master
    I have been happy just using a normal reloading scale. They seem plenty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by garbler View Post
    This thread pretty much confirms that not everybody likes digital scales or trusts them. If you go back to my original post there is an image of my trusted RCBS 304 dial-it beam scale made by Ohaus. Trust me these are as good as it gets for us loaders. RCBS dropped them when the market swerved to digital. My point is, we as end users have a lot of horsepower with honest firms like RCBS. This company listens and has always stood behind their products and science. If there was a demand for high quality dial beam scales they would come back and I guarantee satisfaction would follow.
    I do not trust, nor will I used Dillion or any other make of progressive press. I won't buy and use anything made by Lee. Yet they sell like hotcakes despite my distain for them. I do not see progressive presses going away or Lee ramping up quality because of my distain. Such is the way of the world. So, I use what I like and trust and other can do the same.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Apropos of no one, I can't help but wonder why grumpy web people who have nothing to add to a discussion except to tell the world what they don't like then get so touchy when others simply ask "Why?"

Boolit Master
    i use gas checks and bullets/boolits as test weights for my battery scale.

Boolit Master

Circa 1990 bought an RCBS 5-0-5 (Ohaus origin), which works reliably all the time - every time.

Plugged in a PACT digital in 2000 (never turned it off on purpose). For weighing empty cases, boolits (1 to 10 say), primed cases, and fully prep'd rounds, the PACT digital is FAST-FAST-FAST. You don't want to do those chores with a beam scale.

Circa 2010 bought a (damaged I later learned) RCBS 10-10.

I ran side-by-side tests with a dozen check weights on all three scales - zero grams to 33 grams. At 33 grams (509 grains) the 5-0-5 max's out. There were variations in each of these scales. Checked zero every ten (10) tests. Oddly, the 10-10 had to be zeroed every time it was checked (how I learned it had been damaged - then reliably repaired afterward). The PACT reliably stayed within 0.20 grains, but I do not use the PACT for weighing charges, only verifying the beam scales. The PACT does keep up.

Invest in one (or a dozen) check weights and keep track of scale variations (if any).

For weighing a LOT of cases, boolits, lead, wax, etc., there is the "reasonably calibrated" Big Beam Scale.

BOTTOM LINE
    PACT Digital - I love it. It's very FAST and in my case VERY RELIABLE.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Invest in one (or a dozen) check weights and keep track of scale variations (if any).

I have two questions about the use of your very nice check weight set.

1) Have you ever found a mechanically good condition balance beam powder scale to be off more than .1 grain at any point throughout its range?

2) If you did find a single point calibration error greater than .1 grain, what did (or what would) you do about it?

Boolit Master

A1.) No. I have not found a "mechanically sound" beam scale "off".

A2.) I don't consider 0.1 grain to be a significant weight, though I have seen the difference 0.1 grain makes in a measured charge through a specific barrel. I would first attempt to DIY fix the "out of balance" beam scale, which I have accomplished with my 10-10. Failing that, I would obliterate and destroy the offensive scale. I would NOT sell it down the road nor give it to someone else. I would accept the loss at my hand as just another day at the reloading bench, where we KNOW the result of this hobby is NOT saving money, but shooting MORE.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    A1.) No. I have not found a "mechanically sound" beam scale "off".

A2.) I don't consider 0.1 grain to be a significant weight, ...
    We are in agreement and experience on both questions. That's why I have come to question the wisdom of spending much money on sets of test weights for use on a balance scale. But, I do see the value of a big set of test weights for digital scales.

I use electronic for speed but always check with beam scale for accuracy. I have 2 electronic, and they go out of zero quite frequently. I've been told that fluorescent lighting (which is all I have in my re-loading room) will mess with the electronic scales. It does seem to mess with mine. Part way through loading a block of ammo, the zero point will change by 0.2 gr. I'm constantly needing to re-zero. For that reason, when I'm loading bench rest ammo, I check every load on the beam scale. Pistol ammo I check every fifth or so with the beam.
    What could possibly go wrong?

Casting and reloading celeb Elvis Ammo did a YouTube review of cheap small digital scales some time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqORbs242kY

He found the $20 WAOAW beat out the $36 Frankfort Arsenal (and the Lyman) because the WAOAW responded faster and did less "thinking" about what it was weighing.

I bought the WAOAW in 2017 at Amazon, but it's no longer available. It's fast and reliable. Comes with a known calibration weight to keep it honest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Digital Scale WAOAW 2017.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	284605

The replacement for the original WAOAW appears to be the same unit, but for $25.

Name:	Digital Scale WAOAW replacement.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	284608

Earlier had purchased the Frankfort Arsenal, but it is slower to finalize the weight:

Name:	Digital Scale Frankford Arsenal 2017.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	284606

I know this is out of scope for this thread, but I can't tell you how wonderful the RCBS Chargemaster Lite is.

I use it much more often than I thought for precision powder weights. If I want to throw 40.7 grains of whatever so I can make three or four test rounds, I know they are dead on.

(Loading for the 500 S&W Mag is driving me to precision. Plus or minus a tenth of a grain of Trail Boss in a 3.0 grain charge for Cowboy Action .38 Special is no big deal. But even a slight variation in that 500 handcannon can be very dangerous.)

And even when not throwing powder, the Chargemaster Lite's digital scale is fast and accurate. Comes with calibration weights and a calibration routine as part of its setup, plus a built-in bubble level. Auto-throws the next charge as soon as you replace the pan under the feed/trickle tube.

Great addition to the bench. Highly recommended. What else ya gonna do with your stimmy check?

Name:	Digital Scale RCBS Chargemaster Lite.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	284607

Even a simple RCBS M500 beam scale is pushing $100 now. And you'll still need a $27 trickler.

Name:	RCBS Beam Scale M500.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	284609

I assume nobody here employs a volumetric powder measure of any sort. Or if you do, do you throw the powder into your beam scale pan, then weigh on the beam scale and trickle up to final beam scale precision?

By the way, I still have my RCBS 5-0-5 from 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Apropos of no one, I can't help but wonder why grumpy web people who have nothing to add to a discussion except to tell the world what they don't like then get so touchy when others simply ask "Why?"

I measure with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, and then cut it with an axe.

Boolit Bub
    You can’t really trust a digital scale 100%. Double check your charges with beam scale.
    I’ve had and old PACIFIC beam scale for 42 years. It has not failed me yet. I’ve got 3 digitals and they don’t all agree. My RCBS digital always is right on the money with my old faithful.
    My two cents.

Lyman 1200 DPS and 505 RCBS, here.
    they have been controlling each other since long time ago, but they do not argue often with each other.
    I don't need more.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    I had a Pact. It quit,sent it back they "fixed it" and upon getting it back it worked for maybe 30 seconds. No more Pact anything ever.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master
    Beam scale is old reliable, but still checked with weight scale check set to verify.
    Tried digital briefly. It crapped out on me and I never went back.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast