Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What is your experience with small digital scales?

Boolit Bub
    Both the beam and digital scale I've owned have been accurate. For speed I would go with the digital. There have been times it would need recalibration during use that had me wondering about the previous charges. The balance scale was slower but gave me plenty of confidence.

I use them both, but if I only had only one type to choose from for reloading it would be the balance beam scale, because I know it to be less problematic (most reliable) then the electric scales.

I make jacketed match swagged bullets and use the electric scale for speed.

Both types have their place on my bench and that is why I own and use them both.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    If you order one of the cheap ones make sure it comes with a calibration weight. I'm waiting on one that has a rechargable battery (UBS) and it comes with it calibration weight all for ~$14. I like them for boolets and cases. They make wight sorting boolets much easier.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by CarlMc View Post
    In another life I used to be an industrial scale technician, and the best thing I can say is that there's no such thing as a free lunch. Each scale type has its good points and bad points. Which is why mechanical, electronic, and mixed types are still being sold for the particular application they are best suited for. I work in a lab and have mechanical scales and electronic scales of all ranges. When I need extreme precision, the yearly calibrated Mettler balances with sliding covers that take a minute to settle in the microgram range are sweet, but I sure can't afford one of those. For shipping purposes, accuracy to the pound is just fine, so out comes the roll around beam scale with no calibration sticker. Like anything, when we ask what's the best thing, our first response should be "what for?"

When I reload, I prefer the cheap digital jeweler's balances that will read an extra digit, like 4.35 grains instead of 4.4. I like the extra digit of precision that lets me know that my dispenser is drifting. That said, most folks aren't aware that sensitive electronic scales are subject to external influences. Air breezes. Temperature changes. Static electricity on the bench, you, and in the powder. Loose grains getting into the mechanism. Not understanding these influences makes us blame the scale, when it's not the scale's fault at all. This and the human nature to look at every single digit and not know that a 4.35 grains on a two digit scale is exactly the same as a 4.4 display on a single digit scale. You just don't see it. Can a mechanical read 4.35 grains? Sure; can you afford it and are you willing to wait for it to settle?

All that said, everyone has their own reasons for what they like. I don't see one type as superior over the other in general; they have their own strengths. Knowing the differences and understanding which best suits your own needs is the most important part of the selection process.
    The little electronic scales were a lot of trouble. A few returned only to have the same trouble. Scales drifting on each weigh.
    I do SO much loading for match ammo and this unit has saved me and paid for the large upfront cost two decades ago.
    Maybe not worth it for everyone but well worth it to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0594.jpg  
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 06-20-2021 at 04:56 PM.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Fastleo View Post
    To the folks using the little manual digital grain scales, what scales are you using and how are they holding up? Which ones should I avoid?

Andy
    I have owned several digital scales. They all eventually crap out. The worst was the last one - it started reading low by 10-15%. Dangerous and a PITA. Had to pull boolits on a bunch of test loads and start over. I'm going baack to a balance beam scale.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    We are in agreement and experience on both questions. That's why I have come to question the wisdom of spending much money on sets of test weights for use on a balance scale. But, I do see the value of a big set of test weights for digital scales.
    I would not have been interested in the set of test weights, except for the "can't walk away from that" $25 price I found on them at a Yard Sale. Like two of my finest one-inch micrometers, each less than $15. I don't play the lottery, but sometimes the planets align.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

I only use digital scales, and ones that go down to +/- .02 grains/.001 grams, reliable and cheap at around $25 average.

Boolit Buddy
    I Just got a 500 Gm calibration weight for my AWS scales and calibrated one with the battery in it. then checked it against my new digital scale with some ~120 gr boolets I just got. They were handy on the bench. The new scale gave me 123.4 and the AWS 82? this was after calibrating both scales. I fumbled around and realized the AWS was set to read grams! When I switched to gn's they both agreed!

The new scale is a 200 gram max and the AWS is a 500 gm Max. Nice when they agree with each other and my balance beam scale.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Krag 1901 View Post
    The new scale is a 200 gram max and the AWS is a 500 gm Max. Nice when they agree with each other and my balance beam scale.
    Yep, that happens sometimes and I'm glad ... for you; it's wonderful as long as anything electronic still works isn't it. But if any consumer grade (i.e., throw-away) electronic gadget works well for very long it's luck, not something the owner can count on.

I made a decent living for 30 years fixing/calibrating some very costly, very high grade electronic instruments for the space programs. Even they didn't hold up for long without routinely scheduled professional help. And that's a fact, not an opinion.

We each make our own choices and live with them. Luck plays no part in my reloading system so there is not and will never be an electronic powder scale on my reloading bench. But, I'm confident that my old 1965 balance powder scale will still be working - precisely - for my great grandkids!

Boolit Mold
    Not that impressed with these kinds of scales. I am a bodybuilder, and a scale is a very important tool for me. I must know my weight every day and the quantity of the body fat. That's why I prefer a smart scale instead of a small digital scale. It's much more precise and easier to use. Still, this is just my opinion, so please don't be negative towards it. Moreover, I'm sure everyone should select a scale regarding its needs and priorities.
    Last edited by csaqwer; 03-23-2022 at 11:00 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

After Christmas I ended up with a couple left over Amazon Gift Cards ... that needed spending ... I had bought everything I wanted and saw this electronic scale ...I started with a Redding #1 and 30 years later upgraded to a RCBS 5-0-5 , never had an electronic scale and thought it might be fun to play with . it is a DigiWeigh Poseidon Ammunition scale X002UPX64V , Guaranteed 0.01 grain , LCD screen . it was $17.00 and had a 5 star rating review , so I thought ...why not .
    I'll try it out and see if new tech is any good .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

[Only] $17 for a "guaranteed 0.01 grain" scale? I think your money got taken...but I hope I'm wrong. That is AWFULLY close to "zero" for a $17 electronic load cell scale to measure.

Based on Units in Pounds:
    1 grain is 1 in 7,000.
    0.10 grain is 1 in 70,000.
    0.01 grain is 1 in 700,000, which is REALLY SMALL...don't breathe.

As I look across the Net, I see other DigiWeigh Poseidon scales [not the serial number you quoted], sold by Smoke Shops for weighing marijuana, measuring to 0.01 GRAMS, which is 0.15 grains [1 gram = 15.43 grains], or fifteen (15) times LESS accurate than 0.01 grains. That [0.15 grains] is still a REAL small measurement. Why someone seeking to "get high" needs to weigh their "pot" to such an infinitesimal quantity is beyond my capacity for insight and akin to a barman adding "what will fit on the head of a pin" to an adult beverage.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 03-22-2022 at 10:00 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Krag 1901 View Post
    I Just got a 500 Gm calibration weight for my AWS scales and calibrated one with the battery in it… The new scale gave me 123.4 and the AWS 82? this was after calibrating both scales. I fumbled around and realized the AWS was set to read grams! .
    Must be a typo, 124 grains = 8.03 grams.
    I bought a small FA electronic scale (supposed to be +/- .1 grain) several years ago new for around $15. It came with a calibration weight too. I gave it to the wife because I could reweigh the same charge several times and the readout changed each time. Not by much, but enough. Plus or minus .2 grains in a 5 grain charge isn’t a confidence builder.

The wife uses it for weighing semi precious stones where a few tenths of a grain either way isn’t dangerous.
    Last edited by Bmi48219; 03-22-2022 at 10:16 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    [Only] $17 for a "guaranteed 0.01 grain" scale? I think your money got taken...but I hope I'm wrong. That is AWFULLY close to "zero" for a $17 electronic load cell scale to measure.

Based on Units in Pounds:
    1 grain is 1 in 7,000.
    0.10 grain is 1 in 70,000.
    0.01 grain is 1 in 700,000, which is REALLY SMALL...don't breathe.

As I look across the Net, I see other DigiWeigh Poseidon scales [not the serial number you quoted], sold by Smoke Shops for weighing marijuana, measuring to 0.01 GRAMS, which is 0.15 grains [1 gram = 15.43 grains], or fifteen (15) times LESS accurate than 0.01 grains. That [0.15 grains] is still a REAL small measurement. Why someone seeking to "get high" needs to weigh their "pot" to such an infinitesimal quantity is beyond my capacity for insight and akin to a barman adding "what will fit on the head of a pin" to an adult beverage.
    I'm not holding out much hope for the DigiWeigh but it was marked Ammunition scale and weighs in grains (100 gr. capacity) and Guaranteed 0.01 gr. accuracy ... of course we all know how much that Guarantee is worth ... I'm thinking little or none ... at least I wont go to my grave regretting ...
    I never tried an electronic scale .

I found the model # in tiny letters ...Model: DW 100 Poseidon-G for whatever that's worth . In the model name only the first three letters of the word Poseidon are given but the curse word correct thinks I'm posting a nasty word and shows *** in it's place ... I'm not trying to post a bad word ...it's part of the model number, just the first three letters of Poseidon ! .
    Something to play with but the 5-0-5 beam scale will always take precedence !
    I don't trust electronics ...no way shape or form
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 03-22-2022 at 04:54 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345