WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for alloying lino and ww

If you want a very good alloy with WW and Lino, you could try Carlton Shy’s alloy, the Cast Bullet Editor for The Silhouette and the IHMSA News, a 50 year caster and author of over 200 magazine articles and several books on casting, before he passed.
    70% cleaned clip on WW, 20% Linotype and 10% Chilled Lead Shot, fluxed well in a large alloy pot. Poured into ingots or muffin tins for a pour pot makes very consistent bullet weights and fills out very well. If water dropped is very hard at 23br and if powder coated will do 2,600 to 2,800 fps without any gas check and will shoot .3 inches at 100 out of AR with no fouling or leading. It holds to micro grove rifling in a Marlin, like a railroad track, my 444 with a scope, shoots 1” at 200 meters.with a 210g Lyman, in front of witnesses, and has won many lever action cowboy matches to boot.
    Last edited by Rapier; 07-09-2021 at 08:02 PM.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    if you go through the Lyman load manuals and the Lyman cast bullet manual there are certain loads that are for bullets cast of Linotype. might use your Lino for some of those loads.

Boolit Buddy
    I keep hearing a few folks refer to the "antimony to lead" problem. Can someone tell me what that is? I thought antimony was desirable for hardening the alloy.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Mixing Lino and COWW's is OK to do, I do it all the time. I mix 25% Lino with 75 % WW's for an air cooled BHN of around 15. Water dropping it will get you up around BHN 22. This has been my "go to" target rifle alloy for many years. Hunting alloy is a different matter though.
    whats the hunting alloy?

Boolit Master
    All I ever used was wheel weights with 2% tin. Never leaded a barrel and does shoot very accurately in my Moisins. Bought some hardball alloy from a place in New Jersey many years ago. Between that and some tin I picked up and about a pound of antimony I'm good. But truth be told the wheel weights with 2% tin has served me well. When I used to mine the pistol berms, many shooters shot the hard cast 45acp 230 grain round nosed bullet. When separating the bullets I mined, would always save the 45 RN's and melted them separately into ingots. Still have a couple 5 gallon buckets left from the berms. Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12