Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More SMLE questions

More SMLE questions

I'm rebuilding a couple SMLE's. I'd really like to scope one but-
    A) It has to still take clips
    B) It can't be a scout

That leaves me with an offset side mount. These are parts guns, but I'd still like to make as few modifications as possible. Any suggestions?

Boolit Master

Forgotten Weapons has a YouTube vid titled WW1 SMLE Sniper. Might give you some ideas. You could conceivably use the ejector and safety mount holes as possible anchor points.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    There are "tip off" mounts. I've seen them for rimfire rifles, surely they can be made for a SMLE.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Forgotten Weapons has a YouTube vid titled WW1 SMLE Sniper. Might give you some ideas. You could conceivably use the ejector and safety mount holes as possible anchor points.
    I like that idea, except for the youtube part. I'm gonna check it out though and measure the holes on the receiver.

Gotta take a closer look at tip off mounts and rings. Pap's old Remington Target Master is sitting on the wall right across from me and I didn't even think to look for them, too busy overcomplicating it looking up Mosin mounts.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    I like that idea, except for the youtube part. I'm gonna check it out though and measure the holes on the receiver.

Gotta take a closer look at tip off mounts and rings. Pap's old Remington Target Master is sitting on the wall right across from me and I didn't even think to look for them, too busy overcomplicating it looking up Mosin mounts.
    It's actually "Forgottenweapons.com".
    Saves you your YouTube problems.

Boolit Master
    Check out Bad Ace Tactical for scope mounts for your smle. I got one for my Long Branch/Parker Hale sporter. Frank

Couldn't find one for the SMLE at bad ace and the ones the had were all centerline and wouldn't let me use clips.

Boolit Buddy
    B) It can't be a scout

That leaves me with an offset side mount. These are parts guns, but I'd still like to make as few modifications as possible. Any suggestions?
    I'm not sure, but I think some of the earliest sniper varients for the SMLE had side mounts. Assuming that's true, if you actually find one for sale, it will probably have a price tag well into the hundreds.

The place to ask your question and look for ideas and help is over at the Milsurps forum. If there's something out there that isn't a one-off, some of those guys will know all about it.

Boolit Master
    You could make one such as this: https://303british.com/the-indestruc...nfield-rifles/

Instead of the top over the action have it set off to the side. You still retain clip loading.

Only other option, if it was made, would be a pivot mount like a weaver. Have to look at old ads and sales to find one I believe.

Boolit Buddy
    Repro T pads and mount. It's a little more expensive and you'll need holes drilled and tapped but it will cover your criteria and give you a qd mount as well.
    Cargo

I only found t pads for the No4 MkI unless I looked in the wrong places. Never got that one to shoot good with anything but jacketed so it doesn't get shot much, If I scoped it I'd do it like that though. Still looking for the tip offs and lots more research to do.

Williams Co. probably knows how to scope a Smelly. Aluminum, though.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    B) It can't be a scout

Overkill,

WHY does your scoped SMLE "Need" to take clips? Why not a spare 10-round magazine and then mount a scope ,low over bore and be done with it?

Adam

Because I want it to, and can't you read and because " IT HAS TO STILL TAKE CLIPS", that's the rules, I just follow 'em. If it comes down to it I can live with iron sights, can't live without my clips. If I wanted something to swap magazines I'd get a Mossberg or a Savage. Probably somebody out there has even converted a Savage to 303. Personally I think it's atrocious to cut off or cover up the clip guide on a bolt action, or semi's in the case of M1As. Got a Mauser I'm going to put a scout mount on if I can ever settle on an optic. Still thinking of ideas for the SMLE too. Couldn't find anything from Williams or Weaver specifically for my rifle. May find an old cheap Weaver and see what can be done with shims and grinding. Hope that answer was suitable and more civilized than my standard FYTW answer.

Boolit Master
    Wow! Alrighty, best of luck to ya.

Boolit Master

Good luck.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    Because I want it to, and can't you read and because " IT HAS TO STILL TAKE CLIPS", that's the rules, I just follow 'em. If it comes down to it I can live with iron sights, can't live without my clips. If I wanted something to swap magazines I'd get a Mossberg or a Savage. Probably somebody out there has even converted a Savage to 303. Personally I think it's atrocious to cut off or cover up the clip guide on a bolt action, or semi's in the case of M1As. Got a Mauser I'm going to put a scout mount on if I can ever settle on an optic. Still thinking of ideas for the SMLE too. Couldn't find anything from Williams or Weaver specifically for my rifle. May find an old cheap Weaver and see what can be done with shims and grinding. Hope that answer was suitable and more civilized than my standard FYTW answer.
    Overkill,

My apologies, I was NOT aware your SMLE had to take clips. You missed that clarification early on. Please explain why clips are necessary? Who or what are you shooting?

Best of luck.

Adam

Boolit Master

I guess 0verkill and I are the only charger-loading purists.

SMLE's are FAST; it's fun to run "Mad Minute" drills with them; and it is much faster to reload a bolt gun with chargers than those silly PITA detachable box thingies. . .and if his eyes are turning into fossils like mine are, the ability to do all of that with optics might be nice.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess 0verkill and I are the only charger-loading purists.
    I'm not a purist, but magazine chargers are both a super convenient way to store and carry ammunition, as well as faster and less fumbling for loading a Lee Enfield versus swapping out the magazines. Particularly if you shoot your Lee Enfield in assorted military style/service rifle matches.

Presuming that cast bullet shooting with Lee Enfields is probably going to be 200 yards and less for repetitive strings of shots, a small red dot sight should be more than adequate at 200 yards and less, particularly one with a 1 or MOA dot. It wouldn't look any more out of place than a modern scope in something like an S&K no-gunsmithing mount.

You would have to figure out how to make a mount that uses the rear sight mounting locations, but after that using the charger would be no issue whatsoever.

Boolit Buddy

SMLE's are FAST; it's fun to run "Mad Minute" drills with them
    The most fun you can have with your clothes on.
    Cargo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast