RepackboxLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Vibrating case cleaner instead of shake and bake

Boolit Mold

Vibrating case cleaner instead of shake and bake

I have just started PC coating has anyone tried using a vibrating case cleaner instead of using shake and bake

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I have recently been using a RCBS case tumbler with mixed results. I have 4 pounds of powder that are several years old that did not produce good results. I think they may have drawn damp and would not stick to the bullet very well. But two new powders from Smoke4320 covered nicely. My tumbler is not able to handle many bullets at a time as I am using RX bottles. They have a triangle with a 5 on the bottom and a screw-on lid. Trying to keep tumbler clean inside. Have tried ziplock bags but kept having them come open and making a big mess. I run them in the tumbler about 15 or 20 minutes.

Boolit Mold
    How did the bullet come out after baking

Boolit Master

works good but you will have to have a dedicated one, wont be good to clean brass after. you also will get colour bleed because you will be mixing a little of the old batch with the new.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Mold
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I have a dedicated Midway vibratory cleaner, use it with many of Smokes colors. Works great for me, and I mix some colors to get my own custom colors. It cleans out with a damp cloth easily when changing colors, and I don't notice any bleed.

Boolit Master
    I've got the Midway 1292 with an additional 2 drums from the moly coating era. I don't use it to tumble brass anymore. Use Smoke's powder and have loaded 6.5 lbs of bullets at a time. Tumble for 20 minutes. I screen the extra powder with a mesh basket and place the coated bullets on their base by hand on the baking sheets covered with silicone baking sheets. My results have been excellent.

Get some Air Soft BB's to put in with the powder. From what I understand they help build up the static charge needed for the powder to cling to the lead. I did notice a difference after I started doing it this way.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I put my bullets in a ZIP Lock baggie with some powder. I then put that in the vibrating cleaner. Best method I have used yet.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Banned
    I tried it once, went back to S&B.

Boolit Master

I use 2 plastic soup tubs inside the vibratory cleaner, each with their own color as needed (no BBs) - vibrate for 2-3 minutes and shake off excess powder. Works perfectly with Eastwood and Smoke's powders.

Last edited by AndyC; 05-19-2021 at 12:34 PM.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

AndyC uses the method I most often use, works like a charm but heed the time.

Banned
    I started with plastic zipper bags in my vibrating case cleaner, I ended up doubling up on the bags because after a few uses the bag would wear through -- works well for me
    I've found putting screw-top containers or taping the lid of plastic bowls to work well also.

I've also had success using my rotary tumbler with screw-top containers. I've read that powder bottles work well.

Not all PC needs ASBB or poly pellets But I feel they help give me a more even coating

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to all

Boolit Master

I've also had success using my rotary tumbler with screw-top containers. I've read that powder bottles work well.
    This ^^^ is on my 'going to try' list for processing large batches. Although, my Oster oven is small, I can still easily place a hundred 44/45 caliber bullets on a sheet. I was thinking of tumbling several hundred at a time and then just concentrate on setting and baking. I have a round 1.5 gallon sized #2 black container very similar to the one pound powder containers (it used to contain some kind of weight gain powder and smells of cocoa).

My thought/theory is once the static has attracted the powder to the bullet, they can sit out on the baking sheet for an hour or so even in humid conditions before baking.(??)

Yea I know just me over thinking/doing just because.

edit added: if you haven't looked in the pc'd pics only sticky recently, Smokes put up some pics of bullets he accidently cooked for 30 minutes and they came out super smooth as if gun sprayed.
    (posts 703 and 708 at https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...cs-only/page36 )
    Last edited by oley55; 05-19-2021 at 04:25 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Ironboolit View Post
    has anyone tried using a vibrating case cleaner instead of using shake and bake
    Using a dedicated Frankford Arsenal case tumbler like this one. Tumble for about 10 min. To change color, I wipe it out with a paper towel and finish cleaning with compressed air. Add just enough powder to properly coat them. Works well for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA Tumbler.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	283196
    Last edited by 38SuperAuto; 05-19-2021 at 06:38 PM. Reason: added image
    "Wherever was found what was called a paternal government was found a state education. It'd been discovered that the best way to insure implicit obedience was to commence tyranny in the nursery." -Benjamin Disraeli

I have never tried this and this is a question for those of you who use the soup/cottage cheese type containers in your vibratory tumblers. Have you ever considered putting something like Styrofoam packing peanuts, in the tumbler on the outside of the containers you have your bullets in, to help build up the static charge?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Good idea, but I don't feel I've ever needed to - I let it buzz away for a few minutes and the coverage is great.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club