Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let’s get this debate started!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    A purse was originally a bag used to carry - and as a result, the term is often used to refer to a monetary prize - such as the winner's prize in a horse race.

So . . . . I guess if you want to call my possibles bag a purse . . . go right ahead as I'll be the one with the money . . . not you!

And . . . . if you call a Scotsman's possibles bag a purse while he is wearing a kilt . . . . beware if he wants to give you a hug . . . he will most likely have a dirk in his hand!
    Wiki is loaded with info, paraphrased here with personal opinions/observations:

The Scotsman's bag is a sporran, which seems to be the Scottish name for a purse. People (men and women) carried purses for money (mainly coins) until pants started being made with pockets, which wasn't until the later 1700's. Women also carried their stuff in pockets that were worn around the waist under their dresses [concealed carry fanny packs!]. They then started carrying an "indispensibles" bag [sounds a lot like a "possibles" bag LOL], also called a reticule from the French. Since it was carried by hand the name morphed into a "hand bag". Then, since women carried money in them they started calling them purses as well.

Men carried bags for various reasons as well. Usually shoulder bags. A purse was for money but the bag was for whatever needed to be carried, usually with a strap over the shoulder. Sashes and belts supported weapons and could be used to secure a purse. So a heavy load of ammo would be held in a shoulder bag as well, or on the belt supported by a sash, again a version of the fanny pack or belt pack. Even today the "Sam Browne" is a modern take on the sash and belt of the sword days. So, back then EDC stuff would be carried on the belt or in a bag supported by a sash. When pockets came around then the coin purse was no longer needed so men no longer carried 'purses'. Many also stopped wearing weapons every day and relied on suspenders for the pants and pockets for coins. Bags for papers and other bulkier items were shoulder bags or messenger bags. Even today you can get briefcases with shoulder straps.

Why did men not carry "handbags"? Probably cause of Freud. He assigned a 'sexual' nature to the woman's handbag. I can see how that would result in the universal disdain of the handbag by men.

Now men can still carry stuff, but, they call them packs instead of handbags or purses. Butt pack, fanny pack. Some versions are still called bags, eg, messenger bags, camera bags, etc. But, they are not normally for EDC. Again, pockets and belts take care of EDC stuff. If a man is carrying a fanny pack or shoulder bag it is 'assumed' that they are carrying something other than EDC stuff: papers, computers, lunch, etc, etc.

Looking back on this there is also the old trend in keeping one's hands free from carrying things. The hands had to be free to draw a sword and knife on a moments notice. A handbag would only slow the process and yield valuables to be snatched. So, everything a man carried needed to be secured in pockets, on the belt or in a shoulder bag.
    Last edited by charlie b; 05-20-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

In our fair country the shoulder strapped firearms equipment hauling bag was called a possible(s) bag long before the word purse was used.
    Purse in our country was first used to imply a ladies small handbag but never a hunters / shooter equipment bag. Try reading a dictionary from before this PC era. Valuable resource of information for anyone who wants to learn.
    But there are those upstarts today........ like the OP who has nothing more to write.
    Last edited by missionary5155; 05-20-2021 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Vaj View Post
    A possible bags is a purse! Change my mind.
    purse
    [pərs]
    NOUN
    NORTH AMERICAN
    a small bag used especially by a woman to carry everyday personal items.

I don't see a possibles bag carrying everyday personal items.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    In our fair country the shoulder strapped firearms equipment hauling bag was called a possible(s) bag long before the word purse was used....
    The term purse was used long before the firearm came along.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    The thing I don't like about a belt bag, or a fanny pack, is now you have something in the way of sitting. If you put it in front, your gut gets in the way, making a long sit uncomfortable. If you put it in the back, you can't really sit. You could put it on the side, but now you have to give up either a handgun or knife, or something else.

A shooting bag for me is the same as a box of ammunition. You grab it, it doesn't effect anything else, it has what you need to shoot. You can wear it on either side, but preferably on the oposite side as your pistol. You can still easily get your belt knife out from behind it though. The bag doesn't get in the way of anything, mines just big enough for a sandwich and some snacks too. When I sit it doesn't matter, or I could easily just set it aside.

I am looking for a smaller horn, maybe just a little bigger than that.
    To each their own. Cargo pants beat a bag. Wear a belt bag on your weak side and you can still carry a handgun on your strong hip but I prefer to carry the hand gun in a shoulder holster. About the only thing good about an over the shoulder bag is you can set it down and dig through it. I like cargo pants because you can organize things into different pockets and find them without looking.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I carry a bag and Horn no matter if it is for critters that fly or run- we kid each other about our purses!
    David
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fGfm1x1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	283266
    Last edited by David todd; 05-21-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    scopes and bags are cool, but palm rests 'n' irons RULE!

The thing I don't like about a belt bag, or a fanny pack, is now you have something in the way of sitting. If you put it in front, your gut gets in the way, making a long sit uncomfortable. If you put it in the back, you can't really sit. You could put it on the side, but now you have to give up either a handgun or knife, or something else.

A shooting bag for me is the same as a box of ammunition. You grab it, it doesn't effect anything else, it has what you need to shoot. You can wear it on either side, but preferably on the oposite side as your pistol. You can still easily get your belt knife out from behind it though. The bag doesn't get in the way of anything, mines just big enough for a sandwich and some snacks too. When I sit it doesn't matter, or I could easily just set it aside.

I am looking for a smaller horn, maybe just a little bigger than that.
    Different strokes. I put the pouch on my left side, sidearm on my right if I carry one. The pouch is pretty small and doesn't get in the way.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Banned
    My mind hasn’t been swayed yet.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Vaj View Post
    My mind hasn’t been swayed yet.
    What more do you need? Merriam-Webster's Dictionary definition of a purse "a small bag for money".

I don't know about you, but I have never had a single cent in my shooting bag.

Banned
    What more do you need? Merriam-Webster's Dictionary definition of a purse "a small bag for money".

I don't know about you, but I have never had a single cent in my shooting bag.
    So they both have shoulder strap, they both have compartments to hold whatever and the only difference is one specifically holds money, and the other holds shooting stuff? Hmmm...so if I put money in mines it makes it a purse? Or if I put shooting stuff into the purse it’s possible bag? Tomato tomahto...

Boolit Grand Master

The really question is what difference does it make and why do you care so much???????? Purse phobia??????????????????
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The really question is what difference does it make and why do you care so much???????? Purse phobia??????????????????
    Ditto, who cares? It hauls my stuff in the woods......It appears that the OP has too much time on his(?) hands.......
    NRA Benefactor

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ural Driver View Post
    Ditto, who cares? It hauls my stuff in the woods......It appears that the OP has too much time on his(?) hands.......
    If you look at the original post and the title, the OP got exactly what he wanted, fun banter over a trivial topic.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I think it’s a matter of the functional intent of the container’s use in the current scheme of things.

A “purse” is now what somebody (generally a woman) carries because if she stuffed all that impedimenta into her pockets, her ordinarily svelte and shapely booty in those expensive skinny jeans would look like a Glad bag full of recycled tin cans.

A “possibles bag” is carried by somebody (generally a man) whose pockets (and lower torso) already look like those of a shoplifter just coming out of a grocery store, and he doesn’t care how it looks. He needs even more container capacity for even more Stuff. As do we all.

I thought I was a cutting-edge fashion pioneer when I selected cargo pants, a bush-jacket-type shirt and a bag as my gun show-going haute couture. Then I went to the Tulsa Show and saw that a third of the guys there were dressed the same as I was. You can’t have too much carrying capacity.

The old definition of “purse;” ie, “Who steals my purse steals trash,” and so forth, went out when paper money replaced precious metal coins. Now it’s “What’s in your wallet?”

So you carry a purse when you want to look babe-a-licious, and a possibles bag when you don’t have enough carrying space in your clothes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    I want to see video of you walking up to a buckskinner or mountain man reenactor and saying that to them.
    That would be fine as long as you are wearing matching moccasins.

Truthfully, if people are so thin skinned and full of themselves to not be able to joke about such things, I wouldn’t want to hang out with them anyway.
    Last edited by Newtire; 05-28-2021 at 05:49 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    It’s only a purse if it matches your belt and shoes.

Boolit Buddy
    How has no one said it yet?? It's not a purse, it's a EUROPEAN CARRY ALL or more appropriately an AMERICAN CARRY ALL!

I don't have a front stuffer yet, but I'll be sure to have a bada$$ leather possibles bag when I do

If it has fringe it's definitely a purse.

Boolit Master
    Only if it has teddy bears on it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123