Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: New Lyman GPR Nipple Not That Centered,

New Lyman GPR Nipple Not That Centered,

In the hammer cup. Grew impatient waiting for my TMV build, so I thought I’d get my skill set going with a percussion GPR in .54 cal. While everything is functioning as it should, cocking it is loud as hell, while truly hunting I can see it at full cock and relying on the the heavy rear before engaging the set trigger, well maybe half cock is saner.....

One thing that is picking me is that when the cup is resting over the nipple seems quite forward orientated to the front sight and perhaps a little bit towards the rifle barrel centreline. I was lowering it manually to see it thru the arc but that’s what it looks like to me anyways.

Perhaps this isn’t an issue with #11’s but was hoping to adapt to Musket cap nipples or even 209’s as availability presented itself. Overthinking it till I shoot it? but I have a good eye and I don’t think it’s right. Just send it back or cheap fixes before discussing a Siler lock lol?

Boolit Master
    Others may well chime in here but I would suggest bending the cock (hammer) so it lines up perfect. I have had to do that on several rifles and one single shot pistol I made and is is not hard to do as long as you are careful and bend a little at a time. I do it by measuring the amount needed to bend then pulling the cock, then using my vise and various tools to bend the steel. It is hard but not an impossible task, just be careful.
    John

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    Others may well chime in here but I would suggest bending the cock (hammer) so it lines up perfect. I have had to do that on several rifles and one single shot pistol I made and is is not hard to do as long as you are careful and bend a little at a time. I do it by measuring the amount needed to bend then pulling the cock, then using my vise and various tools to bend the steel. It is hard but not an impossible task, just be careful.
    John
    I would always heat the cock to a red to bend it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

This isn't that uncommon. As long as it goes bang like it should, I wouldn't worry about it. It reall depends on how far off it is.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Not that uncommon o- especially on a production rifle. As far as it being a bit out of alignment as in the hammer being more towards the barrel, the depth of the lock mortise is a tad too much. This can sometimes be an issue when fitting a new lock to an original rifle. In those instances, I have corrected this by carefully cutting the area where the lock plate rests to remove oil/grease soaked wood until you reach good wood, then use matching wood cut thin and using epoxy glue to glue new wood in place, build the area up and then carefully re-inlet the lock to the proper depth so that the hammer is in correct alignment with the nipple.

To align the hammer in the other direction, heat and bend as suggested above.

Thanks Everyone, just as suggested - I was overthinking things, had it at the range yesterday and the damn thing goes bang every time...... Cleaning it after wasn’t too bad afterwards but does take a little effort. What the heck did the old boys do out in the mountains in the 1840”s??

Boolit Buddy
    Don't know how it works on a GPR but usually on a loud cocking rifle if you keep the trigger depressed while cocking and then release the trigger before letting go of the cock it eliminates the loud click.