WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on 45 ACP Boolit

Boolit Master
    As explained by a fly fishing guide who grew up on Kodiak Island, the "Alaska load" is an extended magazine 12 gauge shotgun with birdshot in the chamber and slugs in the magazine. He saw a local law enforcement officer shoot a big coastal bear, and a 12 gauge slug actually broke the bear's pelvis, as well as both shoulders and its neck. So if you own a shotgun, forget handguns and buy some slugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    As explained by a fly fishing guide who grew up on Kodiak Island, the "Alaska load" is an extended magazine 12 gauge shotgun with birdshot in the chamber and slugs in the magazine. He saw a local law enforcement officer shoot a big coastal bear, and a 12 gauge slug actually broke the bear's pelvis, as well as both shoulders and its neck. So if you own a shotgun, forget handguns and buy some slugs.
    That would be great and the folks in Jefferson county solo probably wouldn't even notice a 12guage with a extended mag as you walked around going to work grocery shopping. Plus it would be super especially trying to conceal it or when you need both hands. Yep that's the winner 12 gauge with an extended mag

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Bear protection and CCW carry for human predators are 2 different things (except maybe in Alaska where bears in city backyards are common).

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    I am confident enough to hit what I am aiming at with the .45 and .357. They are easy enough to carry when out fishing in these parts and will handle whatever there is with the heavy loads. I'll never go in grizzly country for fishing/hiking, no desire at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Bear protection and CCW carry for human predators are 2 different things (except maybe in Alaska where bears in city backyards are common).
    The bear us in his neighborhood. Pretty sure he won't be hunting the bear in his neighborhood hence the 45 bullet question

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Years ago i put together a bowling pin load with a lee 255 rnfp over a light load of red dot. Then my wife wanted to go hiking by herself but couldn't handle my 44 mag (we were living in Alaska, bears are a little latger up there) so i ended up with a stout load of unique under the same boolit. Out of a 5" 1911 it would send at 900ish fps and plenty accurate for face shots on bears. I did not feel she was under gunned at all.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Bub

Just my 2c, several of my work associates work and hunt in alaska. All 3 of them have switched over to Buffalo Bore Heavy 10mm dangerous game rounds in a Glock 20, 29 or the new 40. One has used three rounds for self defense against a pretty good sized bear with satisfactory results, hes alive and unharmed. Something to look into.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk, that will teach you to keep your mouth shut!"
    - Earnest Hemmingway

" I'd rather be lucky than good, GET SOME!" Mr. Revolver" - Jerry Miculek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12