Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: First Attempt!

Boolit Mold

First Attempt!

Hello All;

First time posting after some "lurking". I've been loading pistol and some rifle for about a year now and finally decided to try my hand at cast boolits for my 45LC. I used the Lee 255gr mould (.452-255-rf) and cast about 250 boolits using old shotgun pellets from my trap shooting days. Lubed them with Liquid Alox and sized them per Lee's instructions. Prior to this I was loading my 45LCs with the Hornady Cowboy pre-lubed 255gr. I have been using Green Dot (again let over from trap shooting days - like 30 years ago), loading 6.8 gr. Adjusted OAL to crimp around that top ring on the boolit. No gas checks used.

Went to the range today and fired off 100. Two things noticed.. One, this load seems a bit heavier than the Hornady version and two, lot more smoke than usual.

I would appreciate any suggests or comments. I want to keep up with this but want to make sure I am doing it correctly!!

Thanks!

Any pressure signs? Any leading? Did they group ok?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Mold
    No signs of excess pressure that I can detect. None of the cases were deform and actually fell out. Some leading but nothing bad either. Shot a few through a Bond Arms Rowdy, they went all over. Grouping on the loads was fairly consistent but could be better.

Boolit Master
    Well, you might as well start scrounging lead and pewter. If your shot is not magnum stuff, you should be around 10 bhn which is fine for your loads. Nice that you had good results.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't have either of the bullets you do, but I do like Green Dot for cast loads.

There is a chance the Lee boolit seats deeper (thus taking up more space in the case) than the Hornady. If it does, pressures will be higher. Velocity may or may not be.

The smoke is probably from the different lube. Some smoke a lot, some don't.

Robert

Congrats on a successful outing with your own bullets.

The smoke is almost certainly the Alox. Normal and expected. Tweaking should help you get rid of that leading. Slug the bore and cylinder throat (assuming a revolver here). You may have to adjust your sizing. If your loads are low pressure, that can contribute to incomplete combustion and make it smoke.

I guess we have more competition for scrap lead now ...

Welcome, you're off to a good start. You might check into powder coating, tumble coating is simple and inexpensive. It will help reduce or eliminate leading and lessen the smoke a bit.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to Cast Boolits and to the hobby of casting!

It sounds like you are off to a good start! The excess smoke is probably the lube. Its nothing to worry about except for being a little obnoxious.

If it hits where you want and is a safe load with minimal or no leading whats not to like?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have not used Green Dot but have shot Alox coated bullets, I was asked if I was shooting black powder. It is a bit smoky.

Welcome aboard.

I have been shooting range lead bullets in .45 Colt and .38 special loads. It runs between 8.5 & 10 BNH with no issues. Keep in mind FIT IS KING all else is secondary.

Boolit Mold
    Many thanks for all the advice and support, it is much appreciated!