MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rossi .22/.410 rifle shotgun combos

Banned

Rossi .22/.410 rifle shotgun combos

One of these showed up in a LGS today, short youth stock, but at least it's wood. Kinda wondering if the .22 barrels of these are accurate enough to bother with. Any experiences with these?

Boolit Buddy
    Thats funny, I was talking about one of these 10 min ago. Coworker has one and seemed very fond of it, wish I could speak to the accuracy. Buy it and shoot it, what a good combo for a kid, even a big one

Banned

I have a few guns that are basically grabbed when I want to go walk about on the property with no real intention of hunting anything. One is one of the Rossi "Tuufy" shotguns, but thinking this would be a good one with a small scope on it. I like the break opens because they are quick and easy to load and unload.

Don't really need another .410, but it wouldn't take up much space or eat much. I might go back and get it.

Boolit Buddy
    I think that what I was thinking of was a savage 24 which is a double barrel break open with a 410 bore and a 22lr barrel. What you saw is 2 single interchangeable barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by CraigOK View Post
    I think that what I was thinking of was a savage 24 which is a double barrel break open with a 410 bore and a 22lr barrel. What you saw is 2 single interchangeable barrels?
    I have the Savage 24 , 22/410 it have its place for me.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned
    I bought one each for my boys when they were growing up circa year 2000. They are plenty accurate. Just gave my oldest his last August to keep now that he is married and setting up his household. Taught their sister to shoot with it too. The princess wound up with a model 60 but that's another story.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Butzbach View Post
    I bought one each for my boys when they were growing up circa year 2000. They are plenty accurate. Just gave my oldest his last August to keep now that he is married and setting up his household. Taught their sister to shoot with it too. The princess wound up with a model 60 but that's another story.
    Good to know. This one had the .410 barrel mounted and I didn't look closely at the .22 barrel, but I presume the rim fire barrel is bored off-center to allow for the firing pin to strike where it needs to?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Good to know. This one had the .410 barrel mounted and I didn't look closely at the .22 barrel, but I presume the rim fire barrel is bored off-center to allow for the firing pin to strike where it needs to?
    Got me hangin’. I never put that much thought into it. They safely went “bang” when you pulled the trigger and that was good enough for me.

Boolit Master
    I never bought one, but remember wondering how they handled the rim/ center thing. Pretty sure the bore is offset in the 22 barrel, it shows in exterior profile too, if it’s the one I’m remembering, dang CRS!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Butzbach View Post
    Got me hangin’. I never put that much thought into it. They safely went “bang” when you pulled the trigger and that was good enough for me.
    How are the triggers?

Boolit Grand Master
    The one I remember handling in a gun store didn't seem too terribly bad, but I was holding the hammer at the time.

I remember thinking it was quite a bit smaller than the H&R, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for a .410/.22 rifle combo.

Robert

Yes, it is bored offset and works great. The trigger pull is heavy but crisp. This is at 30 feet with CCI Subsonic.
    It usually wears the .410 barrel for shop duty. I bought the Matched Pair when they were introduced after reading a Dick Metcalf article praising it. He was right.
    I'd go back and get it!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Banned

Yep, just like that one. Asking price was $250 which seems high, but given the market now, maybe not? There may be some wiggle room. I can't really see how a guy could go too far wrong.

Banned

Are the .22 barrels not grooved for a scope?

They are d&t for a scope base. I have the base but have never used it. It's my son's gun so I don't play with it much.
    With Colibris, I think that the ejected empty brass have the same velocity

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I bought two later ones, one for each son. One a combo in .22/20ga I believe. On that one, the .22 barrel was surprisingly accurate and consistent. Bought another Rossi youth in .243 and it was, and still is a shotgun. I'm pretty sure I've spent more trying to get it to shoot a 3moa group than I spent on the rifle. It's a boat anchor.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned

Kinda swore off buying any more .22 rifles, this ammo shortage every few years is maddening. Might re-look this one.

Boolit Grand Master
    Friend richhodg66, you’re approaching this 22 thing from the wrong direction. When 22 is at full availability, it is relatively cheap. I set aside at least a two to three year supply then (built slowly so I don’t feel it) and as I use a little, I’m able to maintain the supply as needed. My plan is to always be able to shoot 22s regardless of what happens with the ammo market.
    I kinda do the same thing with small pistol and large rifle primers so I can continue my most used reloads.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Moderator Emeritus

Nephew had one. i was not impressed by the plastic sights but it did go bang every time.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Friend richhodg66, you’re approaching this 22 thing from the wrong direction. When 22 is at full availability, it is relatively cheap. I set aside at least a two to three year supply then (built slowly so I don’t feel it) and as I use a little, I’m able to maintain the supply as needed. My plan is to always be able to shoot 22s regardless of what happens with the ammo market.
    I kinda do the same thing with small pistol and large rifle primers so I can continue my most used reloads.

Froggie
    And I have a decent amount of it, not the hoard many do. I actually prefer to shoot my handloads, but .22s are nice.

You gauys have just about sold me on this (darn you enablers), I'll probably drive over there after work tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast