Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What's so special about a "Keith" boolit ?

What's so special about a "Keith" boolit ?

I hear alot of stuff about "Keith" Boolits and was curious about what makes them so special. Other than being a design by Elmer Keith
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_12_KeithSWC.htm

>
    > drew up what he felt was the perfect bullet for his pet .44 Special. The meplat was 65% of the bullet diameter
    > (this meplat and ogive was taken directly from Heath's 429336, Keith would ultimately settle on approximately
    > 70% for later designs in other calibers). The ogive had a double radius to insure stable long-range flight.
    > The crimp groove was beveled to match the profile of the case when crimped, for a firmer grip. The crimp groove
    > was located to seat as much of the bullet outside of the case as possible
    >
    > provided match-grade accuracy, cut clean holes in target paper, delivered excellent long-range (e.g. half mile)
    >accuracy, and crushed big, leaky holes in meat. In short, it did all the things Elmer wanted his sixguns to do,
    > and it did them all superbly.
    >

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post

>
    > drew up what he felt was the perfect bullet for his pet .44 Special. The meplat was 65% of the bullet diameter
    > (this meplat and ogive was taken directly from Heath's 429336, Keith would ultimately settle on approximately
    > 70% for later designs in other calibers). The ogive had a double radius to insure stable long-range flight.
    > The crimp groove was beveled to match the profile of the case when crimped, for a firmer grip. The crimp groove
    >
    > provided match-grade accuracy, cut clean holes in target paper, delivered excellent long-range (e.g. half mile)
    >accuracy, and crushed big, leaky holes in meat. In short, it did all the things Elmer wanted his sixguns to do,
    >
    Thank you for posting this again. I finally downloaded it so I can enjoy the read on a flight!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

It's a few designs where you know what you are going to get. All the homework is done for you. They are accurate at very long range (well, the 45 version might not be), and they kill well enough. They are a design that shoots good in any gun in good condition, and load data is very exact. You can say I want X fps, and someone can probably tell you what and how much powder to use. I don't know any other bullet with that kind of omnipresence.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    It's a few designs where you know what you are going to get. All the homework is done for you. They are accurate at very long range (well, the 45 version might not be), and they kill well enough. They are a design that shoots good in any gun in good condition, and load data is very exact. You can say I want X fps, and someone can probably tell you what and how much powder to use. I don't know any other bullet with that kind of omnipresence.
    For me that is the big attraction...the design works and is forgiving. Maybe not the most accurate ( vs a wadcutter at 50 yards or less) or as thumpy (if that is a word) at knocking down critters, but a wonderful compromise.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks mehavey ... I printed two copies , putting one with my copy of "Sixguns" .
    The story without all the "fake news" stuff and misinformation that you see floating around .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    It's a bit heavier than the iconic 240 grainer. I found it shoots the best with conventional lube, pan lube in my case. Over 7 of Unique in a .44 special or 9 in a .44 mag and you have a marvelous everyday round. My cast iron RCBS mold drops them right at 431" so I'm able to shoot them as cast.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 05-20-2021 at 06:32 PM.

The thing I love about it is it’s ability to be accurate and remain stabilized at low velocity and high velocity as well. I have shot it at 700 FPS and in a 14” contender, it is still accurate at
    More than twice that. It penetrates straight and the critters I’ve taken were bang flops. Contrary to its appearance, it is accurate in some revolvers that could actually use some forcing cone work. Elmer Keith got it right.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    That about sums it up!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Keith made the hits on 3 flying Eagles all with 5 shots all around 125 yards with his 4 inch M29 with the 250 "Keith" bullets.

Boolit Grand Master
    what more needs to be said
    good enough
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    The only question is whether anyone is currently making a Keith style bullet for the 32? I know there was a group buy of Lee moulds like that done many years ago, but where can I get one now??

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    The only question is whether anyone is currently making a Keith style bullet for the 32? I know there was a group buy of Lee moulds like that done many years ago, but where can I get one now??

Froggie
    Elmer Keith never designed a bullet for a 32 caliber handgun.

I took his general description and design requirements for his 44 caliber, and designed the Accurate 31-137K. It is a good shooting bullet, and the only thing I would change would be to shorten the nose to .400" or even .390", so that it could fit in an LCR.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like yes

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman's 429421 mold is the most accurate "Keith" style bullet I have ever loaded.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post

Froggie
    I remember reading somewhere that Elmer Keith thought the Ideal 3118 did about all that could be done for the .32-20 so he saw no need to design a SWC for it.

Also in his first book, he praised the bullet designed by Ashley Haines (which I think is the 313445) for the .32 S&W Long. Mine hasn't been all that accurate, although he pushed it a lot harder than I am willing to push the little I frames.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post

>
    >
    >
    Beside this, they just plain work well. Fast or slow they are accurate.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have the Lyman 454-424 in a double cavity and a 4 cavity clone by NOE, I have been shooting this bullet since the 1970's. I has always been a very accurate projectile.

Boolit Grand Master

Froggie, I have that 32 Keith group buy mold. We aren't that far apart!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Froggie, I have that 32 Keith group buy mold. We aren't that far apart!
    Wayne,

Would you be interested in selling, swapping, or loaning that mould? The only other example I know of for sure is with friend Dale53 and it’s a long way to Cincinnatti!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast