Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: 7.5 and 8 shot.

Boolit Bub

7.5 and 8 shot.

I bought this savage 301 beater gun to hunt with next season.
    I have bought about 1600 rounds of that walmart 7.5 and 8 shot stuff...its all I can find around here at a reasonable price.
    I figured Id have to buy 4 or 6 shot and swap the smaller shot out for squirrel, but I found a number of guys on the web saying to just leave the shells as they are and pick up a turkey choke to keep the pattern smaller and theyve been taking squirrel at about the same range as 4 or 6 shot with a modified choke.

Definitely going to try it next season.
    Anyone else tried this with the cheap walmart 25cent shells with any success?
    Last edited by Mossy88; 05-17-2021 at 03:50 PM.

I agree with the others recommendations. Do not mix the shotgun shell components. I shoot a 3/4 oz. load of #8 with a full choke. At 30 yards it puts 86 pellets in a 10” circle.

Try shooting at paper and record the results.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    I agree with the others recommendations. Do not mix the shotgun shell components. I shoot a 3/4 oz. load of #8 with a full choke. At 30 yards it puts 86 pellets in a 10” circle.

Try shooting at paper and record the results.
    So its possible to hunt squirrel with 8 shot?
    I mean, Im not doubting their word if they said theyve done it...but it does seem like 8 shot might be too light to get the job done.
    I'll definitely give it a shot next season...I got the flush mount turkey choke a couple days ago for the gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Squirrels aren't very large, but they are tough. I want no part of picking up a wounded squirrel. I'm also not that fond of finding shot with my teeth.

I've never intentionally used 8 shot for squirrels, but it should work at least for close range shots. If it is in the top of a tall pecan tree three trees over, maybe not.

Personally, I like #5 shot for squirrels. 4's seem to pattern a bit thin, 6's work okay, I just think 5's are the best. Hard to find in factory loads though.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Squirrels aren't very large, but they are tough. I want no part of picking up a wounded squirrel. I'm also not that fond of finding shot with my teeth.
    Same. I stopped using a 22 for squirrel after not getting a good shot and the poor thing suffering up on a branch years ago.
    The 12 not only kills them dead but blows them off the limb theyre on...at least it has every time Ive gotten one with it.
    I usually use 4-6 shot and that was the plan...just buy a bag of shot and swap out the same weight with the stuff I bought.
    Just reading a number of guys online who are saying they just use the 8 shot with a turkey choke and are doing just fine.
    Either way works for me. i could do without having to swap the lead if I dont have to, though.
    Last edited by Mossy88; 05-17-2021 at 07:31 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossy88 View Post
    I bought this savage 301 beater gun to hunt with next season.
    I have bought about 1600 rounds of that walmart 7.5 and 8 shot stuff...its all I can find around here at a reasonable price.
    I figured Id have to buy 4 or 6 shot and swap the smaller shot out for squirrel, but I found a number of guys on the web saying to just leave the shells as they are and pick up a turkey choke to keep the pattern smaller and theyve been taking squirrel at about the same range as 4 or 6 shot with a modified choke.

Definitely going to try it next season.
    Anyone else tried this with the cheap walmart 25cent shells with any success?
    If you will list what state you're in, then maybe one of the members here that would be local to you might be willing to trade. I would if you are in central MO. and we could arrange a ftf trade to avoid shipping.

Vendor Sponsor

Is this 7-1/2's V 8's in this forum because the forum is listed as Single ShotGuns?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Is this 7-1/2's V 8's in this forum because the forum is listed as Single ShotGuns?
    yeah...i dont see a 'shotgun' sub forum, lol.
    its a single shot gun Im asking about, though, so I guess its at least close to being in the right forum. lol

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy88 View Post
    yeah...i dont see a 'shotgun' sub forum, lol.
    its a single shot gun Im asking about, though, so I guess its at least close to being in the right forum. lol
    Hey! Your question is good with me - just going for a small laugh at your expense. These days we need a few smiles.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Hey! Your question is good with me - just going for a small laugh at your expense. These days we need a few smiles.
    lol...yeah....ANYTHING to get the hell out of the real world political crap these days.

i load for trap-sporting clays-skeet useing #8 shot, to load for tree rats-rabbits, i just replace the bottle of 8 shot with a bottle of 5,s or 6,s. useing the same shot bushing 1-1/8 oz at 1200 fps.