Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Range death

Cast Hunter

Range death

I would sure like to know more details. This us why uber vigilance is required when reloading ammo.

https://www.wnep.com/mobile/article/...7-RrMihmbyUds8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Grand Master

Notice in the video it wasnt a blow up but refereed to as a accidental shooting. No a blow up or failure. Have to wonder if it was an overload or bore restriction. A lot of info thats not known.

Boolit Master

A lot of missing information to get any idea of just what happened. The "loading mechanism" exploded sending shrapnel to the sides, and into the gun owner, which could be a double load or a barrel restriction, but as it does not state the kind of weapon it was it could be a cylinder, magazine, or a receiver that let go.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Moderator Emeritus

When I read "the loading mechanism exploded" my thought was high primer or very poor reporting.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

My bet is on very poor reporting.

Boolit Master

I’m surprised a county owned range doesn’t have CCTV & recording apparatus. Maybe they did but tape wasn’t released.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    What knowledge of a subject is required, to report on that subject, by the reporters' governing bodies?

Zip, nada, zero, none, nothing.

Sad standard, this, IMO

further search says handgun and firearm malfunction. shooter has shrapnel in cheek, owner of gun and observer was hit in chest and died

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Sad news for sure. The basic fact that someone is dead because of this incident can't be denied. As to what caused it, we may not ever know. I learned a long time ago not to trust or rely on info from news reporters, especially not if it's gun related. Again, sorry to hear about this.

Boolit Master
    Yep. I can still remember when the first news reports of the Kennedy assassination reported the rifle was a 30/30. Many reporters don't know anything about guns.

Boolit Master
    There is another interesting aspect of this. Reading Hatcher's Notebook, Hatcher reported on military firearm accidents (blowups) and noted that the person firing the firearm was rarely seriously injured (except for eyes or fingers). The scary part of this accident is that the one killed was standing next to the shooter. The moral to the story could be that next to a shooter is the worst place to be. Better holding the firearm or far away.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    When I read "the loading mechanism exploded" my thought was high primer or very poor reporting.
    Ok This is the range I shoot on every week! Yes poor reporting!
    The Guy that died was the one that passed his pistol to the other guy to shoot..Seems that that person used his own handloads that were too hot for that pistol or there was a double charged case in the gun!
    If I find out more I will report back!
    Jim
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

Thats sad! Prayers offered for the survivor and the victim's family.

Boolit Master

I have been to that range myself. Sad to hear of the mishap. Everyone please be carful.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master
    A friend almost died when a rifle blew up next to him.
    Tiny piece went into his side.
    We couldn't get it to stop bleeding, so he got a ride in an ambulance.
    It nicked something important inside, and he spent a few days in the hospital.
    They did have to operate.
    They said he could have died.
    He said except for the bleeding, he didn't think it was all that bad.

Banned
    Hey you nick that spleen or liver and unless you plug that hole it is just a matter of time.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Driver's side door handles used to hit drivers just right and in a fender bender, the driver could think they were okish but not feeling great, meanwhile their spleen is bleeding thoroughly, doesn't require any external perforation at all to kill you. Internal bleeding's not necessarily better than external bleeding, and basic first aid doesn't handle internal trauma well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Yep. I can still remember when the first news reports of the Kennedy assassination reported the rifle was a 30/30. Many reporters don't know anything about guns.
    Few "modern" people know much about anything, only a tiny fraction know anything about firearms and few of them know anything about guns. That's why so many people just accept what they see/hear in the "news" media and movies.

When I was a young teenager schools taught us that a legitimate news article would quickly cover five points: "who, what, where, why and how". Not only do today's smug "news" people know little or nothing about how to properly present a story, they know so little of life itself that they can't even begin to grasp how little they know!

Boolit Buddy
    Sad story but it should have been reported as "accidental death" not "accidental shooting" in my opinion.